Agrium (Symbol-AGU)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Tanstaafl
Contributor
Contributor

Agrium (Symbol-AGU)

Post by Tanstaafl »

Seems to be a developing a bit of news and is in several value funds in the US(3rd Avenue Small-Cap Value ). Had a bad patch but is growing again.

Comp Ind. S/P
Price/Earnings 11.3 25.5 20.8
Price/Book 3.0 5.2 4.1
Price/Sales 1.0 3.1 2.8
Price/Cash Flow 6.3 10.1 13.9
Dividend Yield % 0.5 1.1 1.8

Low P/E, has reduced debt.
gossg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gossg »

I interviewed with them but didn't get it. It seems to be a well-run company with people who know what they're doing in the part I was applying to.

This is the old fertilizer division that Cominco sold off not long after the merger with Teck.
Tanstaafl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Tanstaafl »

I have been doing some research and it seems like a good small that could have a nice long run. I was wondering what others might have been thinking here.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Tanstaafl wrote:I was wondering what others might have been thinking here.
This isn't my kind of stock but some things strike me immediately in the numbers. Revenue growth has been 8.7% over the past five years and 7.7% over the past 10 years and relatively smooth. Earnings and cash flow have been extremely erratic and declining, negative or flat over the period. I'd want to know why. I'd want to know what happened from 1999 through 2002. Its S&P Earnings & Dividend (Quality) Rank is B- which isn't very good.

This is a company where I'd really have to dig behind the numbers. This is a very good overview and step-by-step for doing that.

Sorry that I couldn't have been more help.
dfong1168
Newcomer
Newcomer

agrium

Post by dfong1168 »

I have been following this stock for a few years. I have been buying in May selling in August and then buying again in late September and then sell again in December. This type of trading has worked will for me with Agrium. It may be a different story this fall due to the high fuel cost. Technically I have 23.35 as the next major support.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Agrium (Symbol-AGU)

Post by Taggart »

flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

I think it's good to hang on to stocks like Agrium and West Fraser, that benefit from the paltry loony by having sales elsewhere...
suzy
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

From G&M today:
Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan and rival Agrium Inc. are in the advanced stages of merger discussions, according to Bloomberg News.

Citing people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg says a combination of the two companies could come as early as next week.

Shares of both companies were halted in early trading in both Toronto and New York.
The market likes this news. AGU up 7% and POT up 11% this morning.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Not sure what to make of this... I own both and up almost 10% on both since I bought earlier this year. Not being core holdings, I am considering getting out but was hoping for more gains.
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

If they merged-they should become Potashium... :D
suzy
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

It's official, Agrium and PotashCorp to Combine in Merger of Equals to Create a World-Class Integrated Global Supplier of Crop Inputs. New corporate name yet to be announced. The details are:
Agrium press release wrote:Under the agreement, which the Boards of Directors of both companies unanimously approved, a new parent company will be formed to own both companies. PotashCorp shareholders will receive 0.400 common shares of the new company for each common share of PotashCorp they own, and Agrium shareholders will receive 2.230 common shares of the new company for each common share of Agrium they own. The exchange ratios represent the exchange ratios of the two companies at market close on the NYSE on August 29, 2016 the last trading day prior to when the companies announced that they were in preliminary discussions regarding a merger of equals, which is consistent with the approximate 10 day and 60 day volume weighted average prices through that date. Following the close of the transaction, PotashCorp shareholders will own approximately 52 percent of the new company, and Agrium shareholders will own approximately 48 percent on a fully diluted basis.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Shareholder votes are completed. See Potash (POT) topic for details.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Got a notice from TDDI today about the Agrium plan of arrangement - the DEFAULT option is a TAXABLE event if you elect you can have a TAX DEFERRED event you must advise before Dec 22 2017 12 noon.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 14 Dec 2017 20:03 Got a notice from TDDI today about the Agrium plan of arrangement - the DEFAULT option is a TAXABLE event if you elect you can have a TAX DEFERRED event you must advise before Dec 22 2017 12 noon.
I assume this is irrelevant in a TFSA/RRSP?
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

BRIAN5000 wrote: 14 Dec 2017 20:03 Got a notice from TDDI today about the Agrium plan of arrangement - the DEFAULT option is a TAXABLE event if you elect you can have a TAX DEFERRED event you must advise before Dec 22 2017 12 noon.
Was that a snail mail notice or is it available somewhere within WebBroker?

AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I'd suggest they have been mailed. I don't own the stock

http://www.agrium.com/en/investors/news ... mittal-and
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
ockham
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ockham »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 14 Dec 2017 21:02 Was that a snail mail notice or is it available somewhere within WebBroker?
I received my notice from RBCDI on Tuesday (Dec 12). Notice was by snail mail.
snowback96
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by snowback96 »

Can we assume that if you default to a taxable event, it will relate to 2018 taxes?

(FYI, I got the same notice from BMOIL regarding PotashCorp... online only so far.)
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 14 Dec 2017 21:02
Yes snail mail.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 15 Dec 2017 02:18
Peculiar_Investor wrote: 14 Dec 2017 21:02
Yes snail mail.
Thanks for the heads-up Brian5000. I'm in Florida so I don't get my snail mail. It's time to complain to my new TDDI Relationship Manager that these type of notices should be sent electronically rather than by snail mail.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Arby wrote: 15 Dec 2017 10:55 It's time to complain to my new TDDI Relationship Manager that these type of notices should be sent electronically rather than by snail mail.
I don't know if the brokers can send that kind of stuff electronically. I think I have done all I can with my two brokerages to receive shareholder materials electronically and I still get snail mail on anything that needs shareholder attention, e.g. elections, shareholder votes, etc. Maybe a regulatory requirement?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Merger completed and new topic created, see Nutrien Ltd. (TSX and NYSE: NTR).