When something breaks (2017)

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

When something breaks (2017)

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Was hoping this topic wouldn't be need in for 2017, but ...

If you depend on email Notifications (i.e. for new Private Messages), our hosting provider is having problems with outgoing emails so they are currently being generated but not sent out. They are aware of the problem and working on a resolution.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: When something breaks (2017)

Post by LadyGeek »

finiki is broken, management has been notified.

(There was a change in the underlying Operating System software which runs finiki, announced in the private finiki editor's forum. It was OK a short time ago.)

Update: finiki is fixed. In FireFox, clear your browser cache to see finiki work corrrectly again.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

It was impacting non-logged-in users and not editors, which is why I didn't spot it immediately. Thanks. The problem has been identified and resolved.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

The site is very slow for me. I just got ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE trying to submit this post.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for the report. Behind the scenes, others have also noticed intermittent sluggishness and errors over the past couple of days. As there have been no changes/updates made to the forum or wiki software recently, we suspect our hosting provider might have changed something that is impacting us. Investigation is ongoing.

Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Very likely something at my end but yesterday morning I got an "SQL error" page a few times when I went to bring up this site.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Koogie wrote: 23 Oct 2017 08:54 Very likely something at my end but yesterday morning I got an "SQL error" page a few times when I went to bring up this site.
Can you provide more details about the error message, specifically the wording of the error(s) and approximate timeframe? An "SQL error" page tends to be related to hosting performance rather than user specific, so I've inclined to think it wasn't something at your end. I was fairly active on the site yesterday morning and didn't see any errors.

On very random occasions I've seen SQL errors that contain
more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]
which typically result from hosting provider issues that we cannot control, other than if they become regular occurrences we investigate/follow-up with our hosting provider.

Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

The site was down much of yesterday with the 'general SQL error' indicative of a data base crash.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 23 Oct 2017 09:15 Can you provide more details about the error message, specifically the wording of the error(s) and approximate timeframe? An "SQL error" page tends to be related to hosting performance rather than user specific, so I've inclined to think it wasn't something at your end. I was fairly active on the site yesterday morning and didn't see any errors.
As above. Sorry, next time I'll grab a copy of the error message. I assumed it was my service.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Shakespeare wrote: 23 Oct 2017 09:30 The site was down much of yesterday with the 'general SQL error' indicative of a data base crash.
Curious to me as I was active on the site yesterday and never received an error.

Checking available tools from our hosting provider and there is nothing so far to indicate a database crash or database server issue.

Thanks to all for reporting the problem. Your admins will continue to monitor/investigate.

AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Shakespeare wrote: 23 Oct 2017 09:30 The site was down much of yesterday with the 'general SQL error' indicative of a data base crash.
It was down for quite awhile. I didn't capture a screen shot, but for me it was a 'general error' that said too many user connections. The exact same message was repeated over the course of at least a few hours.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

AltaRed wrote: 23 Oct 2017 10:42
It was down for quite awhile. I didn't capture a screen shot, but for me it was a 'general error' that said too many user connections. The exact same message was repeated over the course of at least a few hours.
Same here I just assumed lots of activity
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

AltaRed wrote: 23 Oct 2017 10:42
+1
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Your administrator is aware of the ongoing problems with the site today, which seem to have started around 11:30 MST, the error message often being displayed is

Code: Select all

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

User financl1_forum already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
We have been in contact with our hosting provider in an attempt to get it resolved, but there is no explanation or ETA at this time.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

A small tip that might ease the pain of these continually SQL ERROR messages. I've noticed that they appear to be cached by the hosting provider, so hitting reload will immediately return the same error. What has worked somewhat for me today is to press Ctrl+F5 to force a hard reload from the server. Unfortunately it doesn't always work.

Again, thank you for your patience as we try and get this resolved with our hosting provider.

Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 28 Nov 2017 20:04 What has worked somewhat for me today is to press Ctrl+F5 to force a hard reload from the server. Unfortunately it doesn't always work.
Again, thank you for your patience as we try and get this resolved with our hosting provider.
Thanks for the tip, that is worth remembering in general. Also, thank you for all your hard work around here.

:beer:
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

All kinds of FWF links are broken, for me. If I click on "Private messages", the link "http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... lder=inbox" redirects me to "http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/forum/index.php". The same happens if I want to access my "User Control Panel" using the link under my username at the top right of the site.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)