What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Post by BRIAN5000 »

I note that National Bank added Canwell to there select dividend stocks group and gave the stock a strong endorsement.
Which list is that? National Bank’s 2017 Dividend All-Stars? This is an older version maybe http://jmrdwealth.com/assets/Dividend-All-Stars-.pdf

Usually when I pull up a list of dividend stocks I have something like half of them in my portfolio. In the above posted list I have zero not a one :?: :shock:

oops I do have one HR Reit.whoopee!
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 30 Aug 2017 15:54
I note that National Bank added Canwell to there select dividend stocks group and gave the stock a strong endorsement.
Which list is that? National Bank’s 2017 Dividend All-Stars? This is an older version maybe http://jmrdwealth.com/assets/Dividend-All-Stars-.pdf

Usually when I pull up a list of dividend stocks I have something like half of them in my portfolio. In the above posted list I have zero not a one :?: :shock:

That is the list. Canwell was added to the list on August 9. This is info I got through my globe investor gold site.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 30 Aug 2017 15:54

I have 17 dividend payers and only four are on this list. Hope my list is better then their list.
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

JaydoubleU wrote: 29 Aug 2017 19:04
Wallace wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:00 pm
Bought 5700 shares of AQN on the US side today. 4.36% div. Pays dividend in $US. (See comments on the "assessing utilities" thread.)
WOW fairly sizeable position at least compared to my portfolio is this a full position on AQN all at once?
I was going to make a similar comment. I think the picture in the upper left corner there actually IS Wallace.

Now back to the buy thread. Don't laugh: I started a position in CM. Sucked in by that 5% yield, 5.20 a share, just a fat cash cow. Too cheap to ignore, and I don't quite get all the hype about TD. (I own RY and BNS)
:D Freedom!
I'm a lot older than my picture! I haven't held any electrical utilities until now, and I've had about 18% cash on the sidelines which is higher than any time in the past. Like Brian5000 I've been holding off buying for a long time too. But the cash is doing nothing for me. It's a full position for AQN although I still have cash to put to use in this sector. I'm also thinking of buying Emera on the Canadian side but I hate buying at this time of year, particularly when the US market is so high (around 30 P/E). I still remember the crash of 1987.
Nevertheless, I think that long-term we will need lots more electricity, so even if AQN goes down (it did yesterday :( ) it will recover - hopefully in my lifetime!
Wallace.
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Like Brian5000 I've been holding off buying for a long time too.
I'm not in this position, my target AA is 35/65 and I am at 40/60 so I would say I'm fully invested (closet indexer, 80/20 rule). There are a few things I'd like to sell and a few things I'd like to add a little more to. Trying to pick up a few thousand dollars here and there ala Shakespeare and trying to stay disciplined and wait for good buying opportunities ala AltaRed. My maximum position in any one stock including equity, preferred and bonds would be only @ $60,000 up from $30,000 only a few years ago. Also trying to stop wasting time doing any of this and just let it ride. I'm on step 6 of a 12 step rehabilitation with no results yet.
Last edited by BRIAN5000 on 31 Aug 2017 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Trying to pick up a few thousand here and there ala Shakespeare
I stick to a few hundred here and there....
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 31 Aug 2017 12:17
Like Brian5000 I've been holding off buying for a long time too.
I'm not in this position, my target AA is 35/65 and I am at 40/60 so I would say I'm fully invested (closet indexer, 80/20 rule).
Sorry Brian. I must have misunderstood you.

I don't have a pension except for CPP so my retirement depends entirely on my savings, which I've been accumulating for over 30 years. I've always been fully invested in equities (and cash) - no FI - and most are blue chip stocks with a dividend. Three banks, two pipelines, one telecom, one auto supplier (Magna - which I'm watching and may sell), three real estate trusts, one technology (Apple), and now one electricity utility. I've been through several crashes and managed just fine, coming out of all of them better than going in. I'm not afraid of downturns. The dividends are enough to keep me going year to year. I've bought a few stocks on "play money" over the years, like Canopy growth, but I always chicken out after a short time and sell again. I'm not comfortable with short-term trading. Most things I keep until there is some sort of basic change in the market, the company, or the sector. And at 72 I'm still comfortable with this.

Still thinking of buying Emera but I'll wait a few months yet.
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Wonder where UTX will settle out, United Technologies Corporation (UTX) 111.91-6.01 (-5.10%) As of 2:05PM EDT
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 05 Sep 2017 14:08 Wonder where UTX will settle out, United Technologies Corporation (UTX) 111.91-6.01 (-5.10%) As of 2:05PM EDT
It made a big acquisition and that explains the 5% drop. The market can be strange. I have seen companies get a boost with an acquisition and others get kicked. I figure the market would like to see some of the big industrials like GE and UTX to unload some of their operations and become more focused.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Yesterday I added to CM @ 103.85 and also topped up AD and DIV. guestimating that the latter two will maintain their lofty yields and may even with luck be able to raise them in the coming quarters. Both seem to have made significant new investments; in the case of AD, we think/hope it may have turned a corner and be on a recovery path. I noticed later that an analyst at BNS yesterday raised the target price on AD to $25. As for CM, I reiterate, it's too cheap for a large cap blue chip to ignore.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Bought 1000 DLRs (Horizons US Dollar Currency ETF) @ $12.13. USD/CAD is now down 11.3% since the highs in May. WOW.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

AltaRed wrote: 11 Aug 2017 10:02 Intertape Polymer has made itself known on my Watchlist. Down big recently with a stutter in Q2 results this morning. Missed the low at under $20. Should have had a low bid in on this one.
Alta, I have had my eye on Intertape (TSE:ITP) for quite some time now. It got below $19 today. Did you end up buying?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

jay wrote: 06 Sep 2017 11:33
AltaRed wrote: 11 Aug 2017 10:02 Intertape Polymer has made itself known on my Watchlist. Down big recently with a stutter in Q2 results this morning. Missed the low at under $20. Should have had a low bid in on this one.
Alta, I have had my eye on Intertape (TSE:ITP) for quite some time now. It got below $19 today. Did you end up buying?
Interesting you mention that. I was out of country when it slid below my Alert which triggered circa 19.50. Just as well as I would have likely bought above $19. At this point, I am watching to see where it settles. Their Q2 financials were pretty weak and it may fall more. I'd like to understand them better. I don't like to buy on the way down so would prefer to see a bottom firm up first. Undecided at the moment.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

AltaRed wrote: 06 Sep 2017 13:45
jay wrote: 06 Sep 2017 11:33
Interesting you mention that. I was out of country when it slid below my Alert which triggered circa 19.50. Just as well as I would have likely bought above $19. At this point, I am watching to see where it settles. Their Q2 financials were pretty weak and it may fall more. I'd like to understand them better. I don't like to buy on the way down so would prefer to see a bottom firm up first. Undecided at the moment.
I feel the same way.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

I doubt I will be doing any buying anytime soon except for some big names like ENB and BMO which are both approaching -20% from their highs.

Some REITs (BEI.UN, SRU.UN, REI.UN) are also getting very cheap but I have a full position and I would rather wait for some panic selling yet. So far the drop has been orderly. I would also like to own a piece of CSH.UN but still expensive.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

jay wrote: 07 Sep 2017 09:27 I doubt I will be doing any buying anytime soon except for some big names like ENB and BMO which are both approaching -20% from their highs.

Some REITs (BEI.UN, SRU.UN, REI.UN) are also getting very cheap but I have a full position and I would rather wait for some panic selling. So far the drop has been orderly. I would also like to own a piece of CSH.UN but still expensive.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

jay wrote: 07 Sep 2017 09:24I feel the same way.
Happened to surf through BNN's Market Call Tonight last night and caught a snippet on ITP. Keith Richards(?) suggested that ITP having dropped through its $20 support level, could fall all the way down to the next support level of $14.

WADR to those that give Technical Analysis some attention (I personally don't know how they or the BNN anchors can keep a straight face discussing it), that snippet now gives me MORE cause to continue to watch ITP for awhile rather than pull the trigger. :shock:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

AltaRed wrote: 07 Sep 2017 11:47
Happened to surf through BNN's Market Call Tonight last night and caught a snippet on ITP. Keith Richards(?) suggested that ITP having dropped through its $20 support level, could fall all the way down to the next support level of $14.

WADR to those that give Technical Analysis some attention (I personally don't know how they or the BNN anchors can keep a straight face discussing it), that snippet now gives me MORE cause to continue to watch ITP for awhile rather than pull the trigger. :shock:
it can be like a self fulfilling prophecy and some technical indicators like MACD and SMA can indeed drive the price from what I have personally observed, esp. with computerized trading. Having said that, I don't pay attention to it myself, esp. with dividend players.
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

Hi,

After having sold more than half of my investments since January, I'm tiptoeing into building my income again.

In the Canadian space I added some high yielders to complement the rest of my portfolio which is fairly stolid.

HOT.UN,
Trading close to a 52 week low, significant insider buy in August at 9.01. AFFO will most likely cover the distribution for 2017. Generally buy ratings. Headwinds - Harvey, AirBNnB?

HBF
Small cap ETF sells call options on leading US company shares to produce income . The dividend has been consistent at 0.54 per month since inception and I reckon that is what we'll get. The yield is 7.89%.
Harvest Portfolios Website - HBF
Gordon Pape also featured it recently on Globeinvestor.
A little-known 7.4 per cent yielding blue chip ETF...

EIF
It's been on my watchlist for awhile. Seems to be a darling of the investment community. What I see is lots of room to run being closer to its 52-week low than high. However I mis-timed my buy with a big drop yesterday. It's probably to do with the interest rate increase, but not sure.
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

The drop in ITP might be related to concerns about the impact of hurricane Harvey on increased resin prices. Lost production from the impact
of Hurricane Harvey is sending up resin prices, which is a major raw material input for packaging stocks like ITP and WPK.
westcoastfella
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westcoastfella »

Arby wrote: 08 Sep 2017 11:14

The drop in ITP might be related to concerns about the impact of hurricane Harvey on increased resin prices. Lost production from the impact
of Hurricane Harvey is sending up resin prices, which is a major raw material input for packaging stocks like ITP and WPK.
ITP has been in steady decline since late July, from $25.18 on July 25 to where it is now. While Harvey might not be helping their situation, their slide started well before it hit.

I sold my ITP about 2 weeks ago, at just over $20 per share. I took a small loss (5-10%), which I will use to offset other gains this year. Initially I thought I would simply sell to crystallize the loss and rebuy later, but now not sure.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Bought 100 RioCan near 52 week low, yield almost 6%. A tip of the toe....
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
beachcomber
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beachcomber »

ventured into the etf world with the purchase of 100 units of vgg. etf currently holds 187 nasdaq rising dividend stocks. scary!
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

While past experience with averaging down have been mixed, I'm strongly considering adding to BEI.UN. Here's my logic:
- Currently trading well under NAV.
- While there is current concern regarding online competition for shopping-mall REITs, people will always need a place to live.
- While the short term appreciation looks dicey, long term appreciation of North American residential real estate has been quite reliable. Long-term Canadian population predictions show strong increases.
- As I'm approaching retirement, I'm looking for income and the 5.63% dividend appears attractive and relatively safe.
- BEI management appears to have a good reputation.

As I said my averaging down track record has been mixed, but one of my more successful experiences has been with another residential REIT, during a time of significant price depression - MRG.UN which is now up 92.22% over my book value.

So, are there any holes in my logic? Anyone have any constructive criticism or advice?
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I think you are right. The only risk might be a short term cut in distribution IF their mortgage rates go up materially before they have pricing power in raising rents. But a small risk in my opinion. I still hold it.