What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Post by AltaRed »

Intertape Polymer has made itself known on my Watchlist. Down big recently with a stutter in Q2 results this morning. Missed the low at under $20. Should have had a low bid in on this one.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
morleymarkle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by morleymarkle »

Bought a little bit of Canwel (CWX-T); again primarily due to recent insider buying (always get excited when I see insiders buying with their own money). Current yield (>9%) would be a red flag for most (and for me I guess as I didn't buy very much), but I'm hoping their very large receivables will be enough to ensure they can still pay.

We'll see. Could be a learning moment. (shrug)
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

morleymarkle wrote: 13 Aug 2017 12:19 Bought a little bit of Canwel (CWX-T); again primarily due to recent insider buying (always get excited when I see insiders buying with their own money). Current yield (>9%) would be a red flag for most (and for me I guess as I didn't buy very much), but I'm hoping their very large receivables will be enough to ensure they can still pay.

We'll see. Could be a learning moment. (shrug)
A very interesting stock. My first reaction is this company seriously impacted by the softwood lumber dispute? I don't have the answer.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

The softwood lumber tariffs have no impact on Canwell according to the CEO. He says they don't export any lumber to the USA. Makes sense as their product lines are finished value added products like composite decking and siding products. I might take a position on this stock. According to one of my research outlets the dividend is about 60%% of earnings and 99% of FCF. Their balance sheet looks fairly solid. The dividend seems a little to high. If they cut it a bit I think I would become a buyer.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Thegipper wrote: 13 Aug 2017 15:3799% of FCF.
Wow that implies that the dividend is not rock solid. I usually like under 80% FCF.
For the fun of it...Keith
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Thegipper wrote: 13 Aug 2017 15:37 The softwood lumber tariffs have no impact on Canwell according to the CEO. He says they don't export any lumber to the USA. Makes sense as their product lines are finished value added products like composite decking and siding products. I might take a position on this stock. According to one of my research outlets the dividend is about 60%% of earnings and 99% of FCF. Their balance sheet looks fairly solid. The dividend seems a little to high. If they cut it a bit I think I would become a buyer.
I had a look at there cash flow statement and I find it hard to comprehend. I suspect their payout ratio is in red flag territory. They also seemed to raise a lot of cash through issuing more stock. This can be another red flag .
monkey5672
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by monkey5672 »

Biogen (BIIB)

Got in for $251 in May or June, its at $294 today, waiting for over $300 to cash out. It was way oversold at that moment ...

If I keep staring at my questrade account, it'll climb to over $300, won't it? ;-)
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

Re-initiated a position in ENB @$49.57. Almost a 5% dividend. Pipelines appear out of favor at the moment but I figure ENB will continue to provide my house with natural gas for sometime to come. They are currently expanding in the US which seems like a positive move. That being said, it looks like it could keep going lower for a little while. Could be an opportunity for a low limit bid for anyone who likes the company.
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle
Rckn Cap1
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Rckn Cap1 »

Thank you Mr.Market!!
Bought a large amount of Crescent Point Energy. Stock price has taken a big hit due to the price of oil. There financials look good, and considering they hedge a decent portion of boe, a lower oil price is not the end of the world. Management does a great job at increasing there competitiveness and decreasing debt. Despite the decrease in oil from 2014-2015 by over 50%, this company still managed to increase there FCF by 22%. Does not deserve to be at this price level. Also has a great dividend.
Anyone want to buy $1 for $0.50???
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

You just plugged a company that diluted its shares by 30%, increased its debt load, has lost money consistently for the past 3 years and has no way to get out of this mess. Nice first post.
Rckn Cap1
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Rckn Cap1 »

If I'm not mistaken you bought Dr? A company who can't keep a CEO for over a year and trading 3x book value. Speaking of debt, a company operating in the oil and gas industry tends to be capital intensive so manageable debt it not a problem. In 2015-2016 we decreased our debt by 14% while dr increased there debt by 65%. I would love to see how dr will be doing in 3-5 years time.
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

Rckn Cap1 wrote: 18 Aug 2017 15:20 If I'm not mistaken you bought Dr? A company who can't keep a CEO for over a year and trading 3x book value. Speaking of debt, a company operating in the oil and gas industry tends to be capital intensive so manageable debt it not a problem. In 2015-2016 we decreased our debt by 14% while dr increased there debt by 65%. I would love to see how dr will be doing in 3-5 years time.
"We"?

Care to provide some disclosure?
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

nisser wrote: 18 Aug 2017 16:22
Rckn Cap1 wrote: 18 Aug 2017 15:20 If I'm not mistaken you bought Dr? A company who can't keep a CEO for over a year and trading 3x book value. Speaking of debt, a company operating in the oil and gas industry tends to be capital intensive so manageable debt it not a problem. In 2015-2016 we decreased our debt by 14% while dr increased there debt by 65%. I would love to see how dr will be doing in 3-5 years time.
"We"?
The plural of majesty :rofl:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
lacrosse905
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lacrosse905 »

Recent buys during the last few weeks of volatility have been CM/TD/ENB/PPL. These have been added to the taxable account.
I will buy more bank stocks and wished I had bought CWB when it was in the $25.00 range, missed out... and with the recent dividend increases they work well for our portfolio. We live off the RRIF's and pensions, cpp/oas/small work pension, not indexed and I will not let the tax man wag the tail of this dog. Taxes are high because the RRSP's were maxed, but that is just the way it is.
We will spend what we need to on travel, vehicles, entertainment and the kids will get what is left over.
Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

I sold some of my Morneau-Shepell (MSI) to continue adding to Enbridge (ENB). It hurt.

MSI has been great for capital gain (I've held it for about seven years from when I first heard about it right here from Scomac :thumbsup: , I believe) but, despite analysts promising dividend increases are "just around the corner" for the last 3 years, I've lost faith. I'm still holding a good chunk of it but it is time to shift the rest of it towards more reliable dividend growth.

I just have a 1/4 position in Enbridge so far (up from zero at the beginning of the year) and I still need to hold my nose when I buy it.
I have never liked its P/E or its income-investor-pandering, overly-complicated-financing management but I like its size and its foothold in the US.
"A dividend is a dictate of management. A capital gain is a whim of the market."
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Topped up my position in ENF this week. Trading near a 52-week low and under book value, in spite of a decent quarterly report. Supposed to be two more 10% dividend increases coming to 2019 (after which I would expect moderation, perhaps to 5% annual). In the pipeline/midstream space, ENF is slightly unusual in that it can cover its dividend with EPS. Other than that, this is just pure simple greedy thirst for "more cash and more often."
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Think that the U.S. dollar will fall relative to other currencies? There's an ETF that you can purchase. Or rather, there's a prospectus for such an ETF currently before the SEC.

Would this be a good place for some play money?

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Over the past month I've been building a position in MUX and CEF.A
Nothing earth shattering here except feeling there is a little bit of undervalue given the high likelihood of some volatility coming.
Both combined will be < 4% of the portfolio
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

Bought 5700 shares of AQN on the US side today. 4.36% div. Pays dividend in $US. (See comments on the "assessing utilities" thread.)
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Beyond a few dribs and drabs, I just realized I haven't made a serious purchase since Brexit (June 2016).

Not sure if that says more about me or the market.
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Koogie wrote: 29 Aug 2017 17:24 Beyond a few dribs and drabs, I just realized I haven't made a serious purchase since Brexit (June 2016).

Not sure if that says more about me or the market.
You've become wise...

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Wallace wrote: 29 Aug 2017 15:00 Bought 5700 shares of AQN on the US side today. 4.36% div. Pays dividend in $US. (See comments on the "assessing utilities" thread.)
WOW fairly sizeable position at least compared to my portfolio is this a full position on AQN all at once?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Wallace wrote: ↑Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:00 pm
Bought 5700 shares of AQN on the US side today. 4.36% div. Pays dividend in $US. (See comments on the "assessing utilities" thread.)
WOW fairly sizeable position at least compared to my portfolio is this a full position on AQN all at once?
I was going to make a similar comment. I think the picture in the upper left corner there actually IS Wallace.

Now back to the buy thread. Don't laugh: I started a position in CM. Sucked in by that 5% yield, 5.20 a share, just a fat cash cow. Too cheap to ignore, and I don't quite get all the hype about TD. (I own RY and BNS)
westcoastfella
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westcoastfella »

Added to existing position in Scotia Bank (BNS) yesterday - revenue up, EPS up, dividend raised... yet stock price in the red until late in the day. Also added a small amount to Corby (CSW.B), it has taken a swing downwards in the past month.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Thegipper wrote: 13 Aug 2017 18:50
Thegipper wrote: 13 Aug 2017 15:37 The softwood lumber tariffs have no impact on Canwell according to the CEO. He says they don't export any lumber to the USA. Makes sense as their product lines are finished value added products like composite decking and siding products. I might take a position on this stock. According to one of my research outlets the dividend is about 60%% of earnings and 99% of FCF. Their balance sheet looks fairly solid. The dividend seems a little to high. If they cut it a bit I think I would become a buyer.
I had a look at there cash flow statement and I find it hard to comprehend. I suspect their payout ratio is in red flag territory. They also seemed to raise a lot of cash through issuing more stock. This can be another red flag .
I note that National Bank added Canwell to there select dividend stocks group and gave the stock a strong endorsement.