We're now running on phpBB 3.2

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

We're now running on phpBB 3.2

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

We are pleased to announce that the board has been upgraded to the phpBB 3.2 feature release.

For those interested in the highlights from an FWF perspective:
  • Clever quotes
    The most obvious change is a significant improvement in the quoting feature, nicknamed "clever quotes". Quoted posts now show links to the post author and the quoted post, and the time and date of the quoted post. This new information provides a handy reference and navigation ability to quoted posted.

An example is shown below. Notice the ↑ character after the 'Peculiar_Investor wrote:', that's a clickable link back to the post where the quote came from. Also having the timestamp from the quoted post provides more context about when the quoted material was posted.
    Peculiar_Investor wrote: 17 Mar 2017 16:34 The forum will be offline tomorrow morning, Sat. March 18th, beginning at 9 am EDT. During this time the software that runs the board will be updated. The estimated downtime is between 30 and 60 minutes.
  • Emojis
    Showing even more advanced emotions than smilies is possible with the use of Emoji! With Emoji, it's easy to add extra emotion to your post from your tablet or mobile devices. From a ❤️ to a 😎, Emoji can liven up all posts on your board!

Before you ask, emojis are just Unicode characters and are not the same as the smilies you see beside the posting area. Most mobile devices provide a built-in emoji keyboard so emojis can be entered just like typing 'normal' text. Desktop users who don't have a built-in emoji keyboard might try 😋 Get Emoji — List of all Emojis to ✂️ Copy and 📋 Paste 👌, which is what I've found useful when I want to add an emoji when posting from a desktop.

Please remember that you should post in a way which is consistent with normal writing. Please do not post excessive numbers of emojis.
  • Notifications
    Have you ever missed seeing a notification because there was no obvious visual clue? With this new release notifications should be more visible, as shown by this screenshot.
    Improved visual notifications.PNG
    Improved visual notifications.PNG (1.94 KiB) Viewed 21996 times
    A further improvement, in your notification settings, you can choose to notified only by e-mail. In the previous version that you could choose to be notified only by notifications, but you couldn't choose to be notified only by e-mail.

Behind the scenes the notification system has been reworked so that notifications now work faster and more efficiently.
  • Board icons
    Most of the board icons are now Font Awesome icons, which should be more intuitive icons with retina quality.
Keep exploring -- This is not a comprehensive list, we are sure members will find other changes and share the information.

If you are still reading at this point, the phpBB team has put together a Features page that provides the full details on this release. If you are interested, I'd suggest you click Expand all near the top and look for items flagged with 3.2.x.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: We're now running on phpBB 3.2

Post by queerasmoi »

🤔🔥😂❤️😍😊
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 18 Mar 2017 02:34
...Please do not post excessive numbers of emojis.
🖒🍾🎖🍻 . Congrats to Peculiar_Investor for sprucing up our forum!
queerasmoi wrote: 18 Mar 2017 11:15 🤔🔥😂❤️😍😊
🐒🐒
Regards,
Pickles
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

Nice digs! :thumbsup: :ugeek:
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

scomac wrote: 18 Mar 2017 15:09 Nice digs! :thumbsup: :ugeek:
Did you mean 👍 🤓 ?

😉
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

longinvest wrote: 18 Mar 2017 15:58
scomac wrote: 18 Mar 2017 15:09 Nice digs! :thumbsup: :ugeek:
Did you mean 👍 🤓 ?

😉
Nope. I'll stick with my dark ages keyboard. :lol:
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

We could just change the name of the forum to:
💰ℹ️💬
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

In the Version 3.1 is alive! topic,
gsp_ wrote: 11 Feb 2015 10:07 Do most of my browsing on iphone, like the new integrated design. :thumbsup:

When browsing by subforum each thread displays info on the last post, far preferable IMO to displaying the same info about the initial post in the thread. So far so good. When browsing by unread posts however this is reversed and not at all useful. Any way it can be changed?
Can you re-check this now that we're running on v3.2? When browsing by unread posts on my mobile device last night I noticed that the last poster's information was being displayed and I vaguely remembered this discussion. It took me awhile to find the post that mentioned it being an issue in v3.1.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 20 Mar 2017 07:47 In the Version 3.1 is alive! topic,
gsp_ wrote: 11 Feb 2015 10:07 Do most of my browsing on iphone, like the new integrated design. :thumbsup:

When browsing by subforum each thread displays info on the last post, far preferable IMO to displaying the same info about the initial post in the thread. So far so good. When browsing by unread posts however this is reversed and not at all useful. Any way it can be changed?
Can you re-check this now that we're running on v3.2? When browsing by unread posts on my mobile device last night I noticed that the last poster's information was being displayed and I vaguely remembered this discussion. It took me awhile to find the post that mentioned it being an issue in v3.1.
Indeed it now displays the last poster.👍
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

I'm sure the functionality is much better but it is a bit ugly compared to the last iteration. On a desktop, at any rate.

Can't please all the people ....
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

We're listening and are interested in all feedback. Can you provide some more detail around the 'a bit ugly' comment?

Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

The page looks sparse. The icons are smaller and darker. Line wrapping of thread topics doesn't look as clean and neat.

Meh. Just aesthetics. Functionality is more important, I grant you.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for the additional comments. The icons are definitely darker, but I'm pretty sure they haven't changed size.

ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

I love the updated design. It looks modern and polished.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I think it looks fresher and better too. Some of this is eye candy for sure, but who doesn't like eye candy? Like the sweet young thing that cut my hair this morning.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

One minor ugliness is this:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (5.8 KiB) Viewed 21497 times
I *think* in the old board, the page numbers were on the same line as the byline. Now they get their own line, which makes everything look a little more spread out. This is on desktop.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

What is the significance of the icon that looks like a page with its corner folded over? Over and above the highlighted circular icon, which always (to me) indicated new posts?
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

It takes you to the page with the latest unread posts, e.g. page 9 of 9 pages.
Last edited by AltaRed on 21 Mar 2017 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Spudd wrote: 21 Mar 2017 12:16I *think* in the old board, the page numbers were on the same line as the byline. Now they get their own line, which makes everything look a little more spread out. This is on desktop.
Yes it is a programming shortcut. It should be: Fit the numbers to the line "IF they fit ELSE" put them on a new line. That should eliminate the wasted space impression!
For the fun of it...Keith
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

AltaRed wrote: 21 Mar 2017 12:37 It takes you to the page with the latest unread posts, e.g. page 9 of 9 pages.
As distinct from the circular icon, which when purple links directly to the first unread post? None showing right now - I'll have to test it later ....
Peter

pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

pmj wrote: 21 Mar 2017 13:01
AltaRed wrote: 21 Mar 2017 12:37 It takes you to the page with the latest unread posts, e.g. page 9 of 9 pages.
As distinct from the circular icon, which when purple links directly to the first unread post? None showing right now - I'll have to test it later ....
Update - it also links to the first unread post, not just to the page - so it seems to be the same as the circular icon?
Peter

AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

pmj wrote: Update - it also links to the first unread post, not just to the page
Indeed. Is what I should have written. I use it all the time.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Spudd wrote: 21 Mar 2017 12:16 One minor ugliness is this:

Capture.PNG

I *think* in the old board, the page numbers were on the same line as the byline. Now they get their own line, which makes everything look a little more spread out. This is on desktop.
Good catch. The screen capture appears to be from View active topics or one of the equivalents and yes it seems to be handled slightly differently.

Since the bogleheads.org forum is still running phpBB 3.1, it is possible to compare and find the difference. Based on some quick side-by-side testing, it appears that in 3.1, the software word wrapped the line "by Shakespeare » 05 Feb 2017, 18:13 » in Around the Watercooler" when they ran out of screen width (for the eagle eyed, my date format is different than Spudd's) to keep the pages icons in the second line.

I'm wondering if this change is intention or a bug? I'll do some investigation on the phpBB support forums to find out.

max88
Contributor
Contributor

Post by max88 »

Why this is rotated?
Attachments
fwf-rotated.PNG
I am cautiously optimistic. When it goes up, I claim I have been optimistic; when it goes down, I claim I have been cautious.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

max88 wrote: 01 Apr 2017 10:35 Why this is rotated?
What day is it?