Royalty and Royalty Trusts

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
rhenderson
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Royalty and Royalty Trusts

Post by rhenderson »

brad911 wrote:I think the shorts got a hold of Alaris today.......planning my exit likely.
Earnings and outlook report next Tuesday, info already leaked ?

A dividend cut ?

Doesn't look good because we're back to where we were 4 years ago. :(
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Q3 results are out. Not bad. The market should be somewhat reassured:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... 1075750001

I trimmed last week to reduce risk. Keeping half the position for a possible rebound.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

But who cares what the Q3 report said.

Tomorrow, markets are going to crash, and AD will go down with the rest of them.
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

JaydoubleU wrote:But who cares what the Q3 report said.

Tomorrow, markets are going to crash, and AD will go down with the rest of them.
This is going to be ugly. I guess it's a good job I've got nothing else to do tomorrow other than die a thousand deaths! :roll:
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

The Paris Accord, NAFTA, TPP . . .

nothing is certain, and the market hates uncertainty.

but coal stocks might be back in favor, and Keystone might get approved. Smith and Wesson could also do well. :roll:
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

JaydoubleU wrote:Smith and Wesson could also do well. :roll:
Maybe they'll cancel the name change. :wink:
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Surprise, surprise,

the world didn't end!

And AD is UP, quite nicely too. 8.75% now
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

I really did think stocks would plunge when I saw futures down 750 points in Asia.

But the gainers seem obvious: TRP up sharply as Keystone is back on the agenda; my renewable energy stocks are down, as investors think Trump will scrap tax credits there.

And AD is up on fundamentals.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Speaking of stocks that have rebounded (AQN), AD is on a nice little roll, up 10.35% in 5 days and 14.16% in the last month.

I still don't regret trimming at a lower price, as I think it was worth it to manage risk---the risk that AD would implode like GRC.
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Agreed. In hindsight I would have made the same call. In my experience I'll be wrong 1 in 5 but I'd rather preserve my capital in the other 4 situations.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
Gwenstacy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Gwenstacy »

I raed this somewhere, and its crazy"Royalties are also common in natural resources. Landowners rarely have the expertise to build a mine or operate an oil well. Instead, they lease out their property to resource companies, earning a fee on every ounce of gold or barrel of oil hauled out of the ground.

After a royalty stream is set up, the owners don’t actually have to do anything. Their checks arrive in the mailbox each month. And once in place, they don’t have to lift a finger to earn their money.

Better still, owners can lock in a stream of income that can last for decades.

Patents usually last for 10 to 20 years. Copyrights last for much longer… up to 70 years after the death of the creator. Songs penned by the Elvis and Michael Jackson have another 50+ years left on them, so their owners could be getting paid until 2070."
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Diversified Royalty (DIV) FINALLY does a deal. And the new partner is AIR MILES. Interesting! This should secure the dividend, and I expect to see DIV rally on the news on Monday:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-i ... ug=6940314
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Thegipper wrote: ↑Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:09 pm
Bought Alaris Royalty for our TFSA. RBC says it's basket of investments are strong. 15% are struggling but rest are doing well. The dividend of 7.6% is a positive. Will make another dividend stock purchase in January . Not sure if I will add to an existing stock or buy something new.
Likewise :)
I've owned Alaris off and on over the years. On at the moment. It had a good year in 2019, and I think another small dividend bump could come with a new deal.

But I'm curious: is this a high yield strategy for your TFSAs? Or is it just a desire to own AD?
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

JaydoubleU wrote: 03 Jan 2020 13:37
Thegipper wrote: ↑Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:09 pm
Bought Alaris Royalty for our TFSA. RBC says it's basket of investments are strong. 15% are struggling but rest are doing well. The dividend of 7.6% is a positive. Will make another dividend stock purchase in January . Not sure if I will add to an existing stock or buy something new.
Likewise :)
I've owned Alaris off and on over the years. On at the moment. It had a good year in 2019, and I think another small dividend bump could come with a new deal.

But I'm curious: is this a high yield strategy for your TFSAs? Or is it just a desire to own AD?
My TFSA account strategy is about owning dividend payers. I have number which pay 6 or 7 % they are countered by a fair number that pay between 3 and 5%. I have a number of REITs which pay in the mid 5 range. It works out to an average yield of 5.3 % and gives me a nice income stream.