Bombardier (Symbol-BBD.B)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
patriot1
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by patriot1 »

Boston-Washington is already done and Bombardier was the supplier. Some hiccups too. It was called the Northeast Corridor Improvement Project. Not TGV speeds but anything faster would have been hugely expensive. You can get from New York to Washington in 2 hours 50 minutes and that's more than competitive with flying.

You may well see action in other corridors with the new administration in the US. One problem with LA-SF is that the coast route is too twisty for high speed and an interior route would require tunneling under the mountains north of LA.

I don't see any high speed rail coming to Canada under the present government. The Windsor-Quebec corridor is pretty much a dead zone for the Conservatives, aside from Quebec City.
Michael D
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michael D »

patriot1 wrote: I don't see any high speed rail coming to Canada under the present government. The Windsor-Quebec corridor is pretty much a dead zone for the Conservatives, aside from Quebec City.
Unfortunate. The industrial capacity resulting from slow downs in the auto sector make Windsor-Quebec a natural project. Manufacturing in Windsor and Oshawa, Steel from Hamilton, cheques paid to Montreal. What is wrong with that :wink:
augustabound
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Bombardier (Symbol-BBD.B)

Post by augustabound »

Has anyone found a list of historical orders/deliveries and backlog?
I'm just wondering if such a list exists without going through years of 10k's and Q's?
"Whenever I'm about to do something I think, would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight K. Schrute
nomad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nomad »

New orders for CS100's - good news.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/busine...0FH0V120140712
Not all those who wander are lost... J.R.R. Tolkien
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

Aerospace chief retires and 1,800 job cuts - more good news.

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/ ... perations/
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

nomad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nomad »

Price (and prospects) looking up again with new orders....
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e20799305/
Not all those who wander are lost... J.R.R. Tolkien
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

Financial Post wrote: The move will result in a US$1.4 billion writedown and approximately 1,000 layoffs at the company’s plants in Wichita, Kan., and Querétaro, Mexico.

Shares were down more then 22% or 93 cents to a multi-year low of $3.21 on the Toronto Stock Exchange at late afternoon in unusually heavy volume of almost 58 million shares.

Bombardier Inc shares plunge amid LearJet 85 suspension, liquidity concerns
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Major news today, Bombardier Hires Outside CEO, Seeks Capital in Shakeup - Bloomberg Business plus no more dividend ...
The dividend on its Class A and B shares will be halted, and Bombardier said it will explore “other initiatives” to cut debt, such as the potential participation by “certain business activities” in industry consolidation.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Their debt got spanked today.........
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
milton
Contributor
Contributor

Post by milton »

What happens if the share price drops to $1, does that mean you only get 12.5 ($25/2) Class B shares for each preferred share BBD.PR.C if converted?--

The number of Class B Subordinate Voting Shares into which each Series 4 Preferred Share may be so converted will be determined by dividing the applicable redemption price per Series 4 Preferred Share together with all accrued and unpaid dividends at the date of conversion by the greater of $2.00 and 95% of the then Current Market Price (as defined herein) of the Class B Subordinate Voting Shares.
fun1asma
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by fun1asma »

This thread has been quite for a while. Anyone would like to share their thoughts on this stock? I personally bought stocks (bbd.b) and preferred stocks (bbd.pr.c) recently. I believe better days are coming since the cseries is now certified, but who knows.
westcoastfella
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westcoastfella »

I have held BBD on and off for the past 3 years, and I'm currently off. I managed to sell my last pile of shares early last year at nearly $3 before the big tumble for a slight loss, but I have been watching BBD all year, for a potential re-entry.

I can't help but think this is one of those "it couldn't get any worse" scenarios.

The Quebec government has pretty much said they won't let BBD fail - they've injected cash, and Caisse followed up with more cash. If push came to shove (ie, stock price really started dropping), I believe Trudeau would also pitch in. So, I do think that there is very little chance of BBD going bankrupt.

Their problems and challenges are pretty well known by now, and I would believe that a lot of failure has been priced into current price. If they ever manage to (a sell off some of their assets as they've discussed to raise cash, or b) successfully launch the C-Series, or c) seriously shake up management, (or any combination of these events), I believe that would provide positive momentum for BBD. I also wonder if there is a potential for an outright takeover, but have a feeling that both Quebec and national governments would block it.

While I don't think it can get much worse, I also don't have any idea when it might get better. I could see BBD wallowing at this level for a fairly extended stretch, perhaps even going down more. Of all the problems they have, I think the C-Series is the biggest, and they simply need to resolve this albatross - either finish and launch it, sell it to someone else to finish and launch, or abandon it. Each of these outcomes would probably affect the stock price differently.

As a result of the uncertainty, I haven't yet gotten back into BBD, and will sit on the sidelines until there is some more clarity.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

westcoastfella wrote:c) seriously shake up management,
Therein lies the problem. It ain't gonna happen with one of the Emperor families of Quebec.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e25584840/
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Andrew Coyne
“We lose money on every sale, but we make it up in volume.” It’s an old joke, except at Bombardier where it’s a business model.

<snip>

If the company has lately had greater success selling the plane than before, it may have less to do with the quality of the plane than the price. Though widely reported to be worth $5.6 billion, or roughly $72 million apiece, the Delta deal is in fact worth a fraction of that sum, which is based on the plane’s list price.

Reuters reports the actual price may have been discounted by as much as 75 per cent, considerably more than the norm even within an industry notorious for sandbagging price estimates, leaving Bombardier with somewhere south of $2 billion. Calculating production costs is tricky, especially given the plane’s astronomical development costs — more than $6 billion at last count — but assuming a markup of anything less than 180 per cent in the list price, it seems likely the company is selling the plane for less — much less — than cost.

The same would seem to have been the case with the Air Canada deal, this one for 45 planes, announced in February. Not only is the sale believed to have been on similarly discounted terms — reflecting the two deals’ impact, Bombardier plans on booking a $500-million “onerous contract” charge in its second quarter — but the deal was plainly sweetened by the company’s anxious helicopter parents in Ottawa and Quebec City: the one with legislation giving it greater flexibility with regard to maintenance staffing, the other by dropping a lawsuit.
Interesting polarization in the media. The Quebec media are outraged that it has taken the federal government this long to announce a $1 billion "contribution". Many English media think that no federal money is justified, at least not until Quebec changes its position on pipelines.

I would expect significant volatility in the shares.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

And the f*cking controlling family has the balls to say they are not dropping their control in the company. What a nightmare for taxpayers.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

So are the taxpayers subsidizing Bombardier (the manufacturer) or Delta (the buyer)?
Last edited by Insomniac on 01 May 2016 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

Insomniac wrote:So are the taxpayers subsidizing the manufacturer, Bombardier or Delta, the buyer?
Yes.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Insomniac wrote:So are the taxpayers subsidizing Bombardier (the manufacturer) or Delta (the buyer)?
The buyer is innocent. The government is supporting the selling below costs to protect jobs in Quebec. It seems that aircraft count more than streetcars. I would like to see a condition that they meet their committed deliveries on streetcars as a part of any new money, with serious penalties and not just good faith. (But then this is the Liberals and it is Quebec!)
For the fun of it...Keith
gobsmack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gobsmack »

AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Assuming they are not also subsidizing their own industry.....which I don't necessarily buy into. That said, I welcome the news. Maybe the ROC taxpayer will NOT capitulate to Quebec's demands to take an interest/ownership in the extortionists at BBD. Wanna know how I really feel? :lol:
gobsmack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gobsmack »

AltaRed wrote:I welcome the news. Maybe the ROC taxpayer will NOT capitulate to Quebec's demands to take an interest/ownership in the extortionists at BBD.
Totally agree. It looks like we have a long history of disputes between the two and the scoreboard is currently tied. I wonder if Ottawa was delaying help because they were waiting for this to happen. Perhaps it was a smart strategy in order to back out without upsetting QC.
OnlyMyOpinion
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OnlyMyOpinion »

gobsmack wrote:... I wonder if Ottawa was delaying help because they were waiting for this to happen. Perhaps it was a smart strategy in order to back out without upsetting QC.
Or this, 17-Dec-2016, Bombardier's Mysterious Russian Middleman - a Globe and Mail investigation has uncovered the presence of a strange middleman on the deals – a firm with no staff and no real headquarters, but with connections to allies of Vladimir Putin and a series of shell companies in offshore tax havens. ‘This has got red flags all over it,’ an anti-corruption expert says. Who is Bombardier doing business with in Putin’s Russia?... A single mention in the Panama Papers – and a Putin ally’s exclusion from Canada’s sanctions list – trigger a round-the-world chase for answers...
http://www.pressreader.com/canada/the-g ... 9276059563
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

So Ottawa is giving Bombardier only $372 million. That's a lot less than they asked for, but a lot more than they should be getting.

No wonder Mr. Morneau is looking to raise taxes.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Chuck »

The sad thing is, I bought this stock years ago using the theory they had unlimited access to taxpayer funds (an assumption which appears to be true). Unfortunately, even with this, the company can't make any money and I am still underwater on my investment. Oh well, I'm sure the owners are still making out very well thanks to taxpayer largess despite the perennially lagging share price.