Simple Portfolios 2014

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Simple Portfolios 2014

Post by Shakespeare »

It's been suggested that simple portfolios be updated.

Here are some suggestions. I am sure others will have alternatives.

1. Simple Balanced Fund: Mawer Balanced

2. Two part portfolio: VAB and VT (US$) or XWD (C$).

3. Three part portfolio: VAB, XIC, and VT or XWD

4. Four part portfolio: VAB, XIC, VTI (US$) or VUN (C$), VXUS (US$) or ZEA (C$)

I'm sure there will be other suggestions.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Simple Portfolios 2014

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Thanks, Shakes. I've done an edit and am happy to do more. The variety of new products makes this a bit challenging, as the lists of options are getting a little long.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

FWIW, a while back the Simple portfolios portion of the Portfolio design and construction was split out into it's own article. The rationale was Wikipedia's guidance (Wikipedia:Article size), particularly reader attention span for such a long article.

With that in mind, I'd suggest improving the Simple portfolios to reflect the new alternatives.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I'm sure there's a clever way you can transclude the separate article into the full article to avoid having to edit the same section twice.

Otherwise, there seems little point in duplication.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

When Vanguard Canada's new All World ex Canada ETF becomes available, in a few months, I would add:
  • The Canadian Three Fund Portfolio:
    • Vanguard FTSE Canada All Cap Index ETF (VCN)
    • Vanguard FTSE All World ex Canada Index ETF (V??)
    • Vanguard Canadian Aggregate Bond Index ETF (VAB)
Why only Vanguard ETFs, even if there are some cheaper ETFs (e.g. XIC)? Because Vanguard has, so far, proven trustworthy and to have the interest of investors at heart. If not for Vanguard, ETF management expense ratios would still be unreasonably high, and we would still be forced to use currency-hedged ETFs. I trust that Vanguard will lower its fees when it becomes economically possible to do so.

Other companies have proven their interest in extracting as much money as possible off investors by creating new ETFs with lower fees instead of lowering the fees of nearly identical long-lived ETFs. So, I have no confidence that they'll keep their bait attractive low fees for long, once the new ETFs have gathered enough assets.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

According to Sedar documents, the new Vanguard All-World ex Canada will appropriately have the VXC ticker.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
squid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by squid »

I own VDU and was considering moving to ZEA due to the direct ownership issue. When looking at the fund data, it seems that VDU holdings are now direct too. Would VDU also be appropriate now?
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

squid wrote:I own VDU and was considering moving to ZEA due to the direct ownership issue. When looking at the fund data, it seems that VDU holdings are now direct too. Would VDU also be appropriate now?
Are you sure about that? This is in the fact sheet for VDU:
* Information displayed is for the U.S.-domiciled Vanguard FTSE Developed Markets ETF
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

Now that the new ETF has started trading, I repeat my suggestion to add the following simple portfolio in Finiki:
  • The Three Fund Portfolio (for Canadians):
    • Domestic stocks: Vanguard FTSE Canada All Cap Index ETF (VCN)
    • International stocks: Vanguard FTSE All World ex Canada Index ETF (VXC)
    • Domestic bonds: Vanguard Canadian Aggregate Bond Index ETF (VAB)
I personally think that this should be a base portfolio to recommend.

It could be used as-is (by first selecting an appropriate asset allocation between stocks and bonds, and then dividing the stock allocation between domestic and international). The choice of specific securities can be done as a last step (e.g. VCN vs XIC vs HTX vs TDB900, VAB vs HBB vs GICs, etc.).

It could also be used as a starting point for further customization (e.g. tilting to small-value, slice and dicing, etc.) for those inclined to do so.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Finiki appreciates new editors, why wouldn't you become one?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

Ditto!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

Nice offer... But, that's a challenging task. I have been unable, so far, to compose half a decent page about VPW in the Bogleheads Wiki. Somehow, I find it much easier to play with spreadsheets and numbers. Do you think it would be possibe to copy over into Finiki parts of http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three_fund_portfolio ?
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

It's summertime, so some of the caretakers are away. Have you made any progress?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

As you say, it's Summer and I haven't been proactive...
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm one of the finiki caretakers, but have a different challenge - I'm a US resident. As long as someone can guide me on the Canadian aspects, I'll put the info into finiki.

I took a stab at it here: Simple portfolios ("Three component and four component portfolios")

and here: Portfolio design and construction ("Three component and four component portfolios")

What portfolios would you like copied from the Bogleheads wiki? Lazy portfolios

(I also did a minor update to: Variable percentage withdrawal)
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

LadyGeek wrote:I'm one of the finiki caretakers, but have a different challenge - I'm a US resident. As long as someone can guide me on the Canadian aspects, I'll put the info into finiki.

I took a stab at it here: Simple portfolios ("Three component and four component portfolios")

and here: Portfolio design and construction ("Three component and four component portfolios")
Great!
What portfolios would you like copied from the Bogleheads wiki? Lazy portfolios
I'm not sure, actually. I was thinking of a Canadian Three-Fund Portfolio finiki page inspired from the information on the Bogleheads wiki The Three-Fund Portfolio and Taylor's awesome Three-Fund Portfolio post.
(I also did a minor update to: Variable percentage withdrawal)
I'll have to work on the upstream page. It's on my todo list.
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

I created a draft sandbox page we can use for development: User:LadyGeek/Sandbox

Comments / questions / suggestions are welcome. Finiki editors are encouraged to edit the page directly.

Also, I added the Canadian 3-fund portfolio to the Bogleheads wiki: Canadian versions of lazy portfolios
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Also, I added the Canadian 3-fund portfolio to the Bogleheads wiki: Canadian versions of lazy portfolios
First time to this page just had a quick look for now but looks really good. :thumbsup:
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

At the end should be "VT and VXC" with necessary wording changes.
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

I can't seem to come to a choice between VTI or VUN for our RRSP accounts.

I understand the benefit of VTI would be exemption from US foreign withholding taxes in a RRSP account, but the added layer of complexity and costs with conducting Norbert's Gambit for currency exchange a couple times a year... is it worth it? And potentially issues with US estate taxes.

I'm figuring that the costs of currency conversion (even through NG) and trading costs would bump that 0.05% MER of VTI up to around an amount that VUN is at (0.17% + 30% foreign withholding tax) which would make me seriously reconsider going through the troubles of buying VTI.

I was leaning towards VTI but I think I'm swaying to VUN now for simplicity sake.

*Edit - Now I'm considering just buying VXC and getting both US and International (excluding US and Canada) exposure and calling it a day.

*Edit 2 - And since I'd buy the ETFs for free through Questrade, my hunch is that VTI vs VUN or VXC would be a wash in terms of cost effectiveness/efficiency.
Last edited by SkaSka on 05 Aug 2014 14:08, edited 2 times in total.
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

LadyGeek wrote:I created a draft sandbox page we can use for development
The simplest portfolios, also known as lazy portfolios, use Guaranteed Investment Certificates (GICs) or single mutual funds
One of the simplest ways to obtain a diversified portfolio is to purchase a single balanced or income mutual fund.
I would suggest balanced, instead of mutual as you allude to later on.

http://ca.ishares.com/product_info/fund ... ew/CBN.htm is one such product that's an ETF.

newguy
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

SkaSka wrote: *Edit - Now I'm considering just buying VXC and getting both US and International (excluding US and Canada) exposure and calling it a day.

*Edit 2 - And since I'd buy the ETFs for free through Questrade, my hunch is that VTI vs VUN or VXC would be a wash in terms of cost effectiveness/efficiency.
Simplicity is attractive, isn't it? That's why I switched to VCN/VXC/VAB when VXC came out. It's not a perfect portfolio*, but it is good enough for me with its high diversification for a low average management fee of .19%. It is a portfolio I intend to stick to for the long term.

* Using cheaper Canadian or U.S. ETFs with Norbert's Gambit could be somewhat cheaper and a little more tax efficient, but would be more complex for a gain of maybe a few basis points.
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

Shakespeare wrote:At the end should be "VT and VXC" with necessary wording changes.
I understand the ticker symbols, but I don't know where you are referring to; nor what to change.
newguy wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:I created a draft sandbox page we can use for development
The simplest portfolios, also known as lazy portfolios, use Guaranteed Investment Certificates (GICs) or single mutual funds
One of the simplest ways to obtain a diversified portfolio is to purchase a single balanced or income mutual fund.
I would suggest balanced, instead of mutual as you allude to later on.
http://ca.ishares.com/product_info/fund ... ew/CBN.htm is one such product that's an ETF.

newguy
I updated the page: User:LadyGeek/Sandbox

skaska - I'll work in-between your questions, keep asking. :)

BRIAN5000 - Thanks. Do you have any more suggestions?
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

Looking at the organization, I moved the FPX indexes to the bottom of the article. It's useful info, but perhaps not relevant as a main point of the article. User:LadyGeek/Sandbox

If the intent is to construct a portfolio aligned with these indexes, then specific suggestions should be made. The four-component portfolio is one such suggestion.

Now, the article flows from diversification to the funds in increasing order of complexity.

Should the diversification section be part of this article? I think this section and the FPX indexes belong in Portfolio design and construction - which is currently a duplication of the simple portfolios article. Some reorganization is needed.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I understand the ticker symbols, but I don't know where you are referring to; nor what to change.
finiki wrote:As Rob Carrick has suggested [8], it is possible to replace two of the components (VEA and SPY) by the single all-world ETF XWD, offered by Barclays Canada. Vanguard offers a similar ETF, VT.
This sentence has a problem if located after the introduction of VXC. It's actually a 3-fund portfolio, so it should either also refer back to VXC or be moved up and rephrased.