Aeroplan

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Aeroplan

Post by SQRT »

I agree with Westinvest. If you spend a lot and can accumulate a lot of miles (we do) and value business class air travel (I am 6'4"" so I do) , and you travel a lot (we do) you can't beat the Aero plan pay back. I calculated the pay back can be between 5-10% of spend for business class travel. Obviously, if you don't meet these criteria a cash back card may be better for you. Aero points can be redeemed if you have flexibility and plan far enough in advance(we do). These benefits can be so generous because many don't ever cash their points. Kind of like the mortality benefit in an annuity. Seems pretty straightforward to me?
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

2 yen wrote:TD Infinite Visa's 15000 mile sign up bonus can also be used for a 2 for 1 reward on short haul travel before the end of the year. I did the math with Air Canada fares compared to Aeroplan to a short haul destination in our part of Canada. Air Canada wants $880 for 2 tickets. Aeroplan (using the 15000 miles) wants $348 in fees for 2 tickets. Essentially, TD's offer is a 50% discount off the regular price. Aeroplan is fast losing any edge it had as a reward card. The fees are absolutely out to lunch. :x
Totally agree, that's why you don't use the points for short haul economy flights. If that 's what you value, you should get a cash back card.
Last edited by SQRT on 26 Mar 2014 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

2 yen wrote:Aeroplan is fast losing any edge it had as a reward card. The fees are absolutely out to lunch. :x
Until a couple of years ago it was possible to book AP reward travel on a Star Alliance partner's codeshared flight, paying the partner's fees rather than AC's. In particular certain partners like LH didn't add fuel surcharges to the bottom line price of "free" tickets. So you could fly to Europe on 60kY/80kJ miles for $100s less than on AC. (You could even do this when the planes were operated by AC.) Apparently AC caught on to this loophole and convinced those partners to inflict the same extra fees, even on flights operated by those partners, that AC charges. I think there may still be a partner or two who hasn't folded to pressure from AC (Westinvest?)
SQRT wrote:I agree with Westinvest.
As do I and I'd imagine does any rational human being — IFF "you spend a lot and can accumulate a lot of miles (we do) and value business class air travel (I am 6'4"" so I do) , and you travel a lot (we do)... [and] you have flexibility and plan far enough in advance(we do)."

Absolutely!

Our differences seem to revolve on how common this set of criteria is among premium credit card users.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

So it appears to have been reduced to a debate about demographics? Let's just agree that "to each their own according to their circumstances" and move on.
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Until a couple of years ago it was possible to book AP reward travel on a Star Alliance partner's codeshared flight, paying the partner's fees rather than AC's. In particular certain partners like LH didn't add fuel surcharges to the bottom line price of "free" tickets. So you could fly to Europe on 60kY/80kJ miles for $100s less than on AC. (You could even do this when the planes were operated by AC.) Apparently AC caught on to this loophole and convinced those partners to inflict the same extra fees, even on flights operated by those partners, that AC charges. I think there may still be a partner or two who hasn't folded to pressure from AC (Westinvest?)
The current list of carriers with and without surcharge can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-cana ... ravel.html
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

SQRT wrote:So it appears to have been reduced to a debate about demographics?
It's always been (for me) about which credit card features make sense for the specific individual under their specific circumstances, not which card is "best" for everyone. That's why I responded to AltaRed's query in the manner I did.

It's also important to compare other features and benefits of various credit cards because even among premium reward cards there are major differences with respect to such things as trip cancellation insurance, medical insurance, auto club membership, etc. Even if you carry more than one such card you have to be careful which one you use when you charge a flight. But I digress...
Let's just agree that "to each their own according to their circumstances" and move on.
I never disagreed with that principle ;)
westinvest wrote:The current list of carriers with and without surcharge can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-cana ... ravel.html
Thanks. Interesting discussion ensues in that thread over who pockets those extra fuel charges. People seem to be arguing that AC gets the cash even when the plane is provided by a partner. Hmmm...

Also interesting that LH and OS are on the surcharge list while LX is not, even though Lufthansa owns all three carriers.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

2 yen wrote:Aeroplan is fast losing any edge it had as a reward card. The fees are absolutely out to lunch. :x
You can say that again and again.

An even more horrendous example was the upcoming flight for my wife from YYZ to Europe (3 legs each way, on KLM itself and KLM codeshare).
Total ticket price (huge sale) ~= $1,200.
Actual flights ~= $400
Taxes and fees ~= $800

Why bother to accumulate points if all they can do is make a third of the total ticket price "free"? :twisted:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

adrian2 wrote:
You can say that again and again.

An even more horrendous example was the upcoming flight for my wife from YYZ to Europe (3 legs each way, on KLM itself and KLM codeshare).
Total ticket price (huge sale) ~= $1,200.
Actual flights ~= $400
Taxes and fees ~= $800

Why bother to accumulate points if all they can do is make a third of the total ticket price "free"? :twisted:
Good point. That's why business class rewards are a better deal. Fees are less as a %'age because the fare is so high.
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

I have grown tired of the "free" flights with rediculous flight times, multiple connections and mostly overnight flight requirements unless you book far in advance.

I recently ordered myself some nice new luggage with Aeroplan points (taxes included :roll: )

Luggage arrived in 3 business days, with no problems. Great client experience. In my opinion it worked out to a better value than the gas cards.
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

Question: If I book a round trip using Aeroplan, what would the fee be to change the flight time/date ?
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

optionable68 wrote:Question: If I book a round trip using Aeroplan, what would the fee be to change the flight time/date ?
Answer: Look what Google found ;) At a Glance
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
optionable68 wrote:Question: If I book a round trip using Aeroplan, what would the fee be to change the flight time/date ?
Answer: Look what Google found ;) At a Glance
Thanks Bylo, your swift response occurred before I could clarify/edit my question.

Specifically, say I book a Aeroplan reward which involves 2 connections each way, Aeroplan's language says I need to pay $90 "per ticket", if I change my flights to direct each way does that mean I need to pay $360 for this luxury?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I doubt it but phone them to find out.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
cashinstinct
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cashinstinct »

I made changes to Aeroplan tickets this Spring 2014.

I paid $90 +tax per person for any change, no matter the number of flights involved.

I wanted to have a more direct flight with less connections, so I paid the price and it was worth it.
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

optionable68 wrote: Specifically, say I book a Aeroplan reward which involves 2 connections each way, Aeroplan's language says I need to pay $90 "per ticket", if I change my flights to direct each way does that mean I need to pay $360 for this luxury?
All the flights on the reward booking are on one "ticket", so the change fee is $90+tx. I recently made a change on a reservation that took it up to a total of 15 flight segments, one change fee.
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

westinvest wrote:
optionable68 wrote: Specifically, say I book a Aeroplan reward which involves 2 connections each way, Aeroplan's language says I need to pay $90 "per ticket", if I change my flights to direct each way does that mean I need to pay $360 for this luxury?
All the flights on the reward booking are on one "ticket", so the change fee is $90+tx. I recently made a change on a reservation that took it up to a total of 15 flight segments, one change fee.
Thanks all. Good to know. I want to use Aeroplan to fly to Yellowstone via Salt Lake City round trip from YYZ, but not interested in all the multiple connections Aeroplan limits me to.

$120 + $90 (+tx) = $220ish is the actual cost for these "free" flights, whereas Orbitz has it for $500 ex-points
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

One additional note - if there is more than one person travelling you would each pay the change fee.
fundamental
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fundamental »

Aeroplan Exec takes the hot seat

A quick read suggests they don't feel compelled to make any meaningful changes
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” - Winston Churchill
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

fundamental wrote:Aeroplan Exec takes the hot seat

A quick read suggests they don't feel compelled to make any meaningful changes
. I have nothing good to say about this outfit. I gave up on this reward program a couple of years ago. I think some people are with them because their business travel allows them to accumulate points. I use CIBC Driver's Edge and RBC Westjet . Westjet dollars are real dollars and you get a companion every year for 99$. Driver's Edge is a continuation of the Citibank card with the same name. Over the years I have redeemed $10,000 on vehicle and boat purchases. I have about $2000 accumulated for my next purchase. That is my solution to Aeroplan and their really bad service. I also recall that in most cases that I could find much better deals by buying my tickets directly from a travel site.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Aeroplan's fine by me. I just use the miles to purchase Esso gift cards after a trans-pacific flight. If it's Asia miles, same thing. Redeem them for Canadian Tire GC's. Either than that, I don't bother much about mileage prgrams. I just look for sale priced air fares before our planned journey.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

The one way that Aeroplan really is good is for long haul business class travel. Recently paid $2200 in fees for 2 tickets worth well north of $10,000 on Expedia.
Accumulated 180,000 over 4 years to do this. A cash back card at 2% would have yielded about $3600 over the same time period.

That said, I also thought the interview was pathetic.

2 yen
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

2 yen wrote:The one way that Aeroplan really is good is for long haul business class travel. Recently paid $2200 in fees for 2 tickets worth well north of $10,000 on Expedia.
Accumulated 180,000 over 4 years to do this. A cash back card at 2% would have yielded about $3600 over the same time period.

That said, I also thought the interview was pathetic.

2 yen
Agree. Use Aero pts all the time. But we have been around the block on this debate many times. Works well for some people but not all.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

SQRT wrote:Works well for some people but not all.
Also pay a travel agent to get you the best business class options available when you want to go. They always seem to get better options that you can ever get by yourself online. IMHO the best expense you can incur with aeroplan.
For the fun of it...Keith
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

kcowan wrote:Also pay a travel agent to get you the best business class options available when you want to go. They always seem to get better options that you can ever get by yourself online. IMHO the best expense you can incur with aeroplan.
Yes, I have found travel agents do have the best access to business class options (other than perhaps some high volume corporate contracts).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom