Lending of loyalty card at grocery store

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
tightwad
Contributor
Contributor

Lending of loyalty card at grocery store

Post by tightwad »

I occasionally allow strangers in line to purchase their groceries with my loyalty card out of courtesy as they have forgotten theirs or they didn't have one. Is there any reason why this should not be done? The card number and the total accumulated points are printed on the receipt but without any personal information.
Zipper
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Lending of loyalty card at grocery store

Post by Zipper »

tightwad wrote:I occasionally allow strangers in line to purchase their groceries with my loyalty card out of courtesy as they have forgotten theirs or they didn't have one. Is there any reason why this should not be done? The card number and the total accumulated points are printed on the receipt but without any personal information.
I'm surprised that the check-out clerk would let you do that.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

tightwad wrote:I occasionally allow strangers in line to purchase their groceries with my loyalty card out of courtesy as they have forgotten theirs or they didn't have one. Is there any reason why this should not be done? The card number and the total accumulated points are printed on the receipt but without any personal information.
I have done this on occasion as well (maybe half a dozen times) depending on my 'take' on the individual. The clerks do not care. I've also done it with my good friend. She has given me an Air Miles card (with her name on it) to use, and I also use her Safeway card. There is no reason why people, not living in the same household, should not do this to optimize the 'mileage' one of the people can get.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
stardancer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stardancer »

I've done this with my mother and daughters, but never with strangers. Too bad if they forgot their card; I wouldn't expect a stranger or even an acquaintance to lend me their card.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

I must be dense but I don't see how this benefits anyone except the cardholder who gets points awarded to their loaned card on someone else's purchase.
What possible benefit is accrued to someone who borrows a card?
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
augustabound
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by augustabound »

CROCKD wrote: What possible benefit is accrued to someone who borrows a card?
None. They're just doing you a favour.
"Whenever I'm about to do something I think, would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight K. Schrute
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

CROCKD wrote:I must be dense but I don't see how this benefits anyone except the cardholder who gets points awarded to their loaned card on someone else's purchase.
What possible benefit is accrued to someone who borrows a card?
Some prices are for card holders only and as much as half off, if you don't have a card you don't get the cheaper price. Card lender gets the points, card borrower gets the cheaper price. Save-on clerks are disallowing borrowed cards. Safeway and some other stores all you need is your telephone number.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

If I buy something at Pharmaprix my gf can bring my receipt in later and get the points with her card.

newguy
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

The only loyalty card I carry is airmiles, which is not accepted at the local grocery store. I ask the clerk to give the points to the SPCA.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

BRIAN5000 wrote:Safeway and some other stores all you need is your telephone number.
In the particular case of Safeway, it works in the USA too. As Brian said, who gets the savings depends on what the card does.

Regarding Save-On-Foods, you can use someone else's More Rewards card. For example, I gave my card to friends and relatives this past summer to get some groceries so they could get the Card price. Occurred without a hitch.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
tightwad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tightwad »

So far it seems there's no downside to doing a good deed for someone.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Interesting that this thread just came up. I learned something reading the contributions. Today for the first time while waiting to pay at PharmaPlus (Rexall) the young guy ahead of me asked me if I wanted his points when he saw me with an AirMiles card. OK I said and he grabbed my card and swiped it over the card reader while the cashier looked on. He volunteered that he was working too hard to go anywhere. I said that I had never collected enough points to go anywhere.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

CROCKD wrote:Interesting that this thread just came up. I learned something reading the contributions. Today for the first time while waiting to pay at PharmaPlus (Rexall) the young guy ahead of me asked me if I wanted his points when he saw me with an AirMiles card. OK I said and he grabbed my card and swiped it over the card reader while the cashier looked on. He volunteered that he was working too hard to go anywhere. I said that I had never collected enough points to go anywhere.
I don't mean to be picky but,at least in Manitoba,Pharmaplus is in the Aeroplan program -not Air Miles!
"I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."