High Interest Rates for Savings, GICs, MMFs [2012]

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Keithm
Contributor
Contributor

Re: High Interest Rates for Savings, GICs, MMFs [2012]

Post by Keithm »

Hey Bylo
Want to split a "C" note :thumbsup:
sunkenradish
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sunkenradish »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
optionable68 wrote:
Bylo Selhi wrote:ING Direct's is, by far, the least competitive HISA. That's quite a change from how they got established in Canada...
I agree that ING has lost its luster.
A sign of desperation?
Share this summer for a Double Bonus!

One of the many things that makes banking with ING DIRECT so rewarding is your Orange Key, because when you share it with a friend, you can both get $50. We think it's a great way to thank you for telling your friends and to welcome new Clients.

We're excited to tell you that this summer you've got Double the reasons to share your Orange Key with our Summer of Sharing promotion!

From July 1st to August 31st, when a friend uses your Orange Key to open an Account with $100 or more in it, you'll both get $50! It's a refreshing way to make your summer sweeter, but hurry like the warm weather, this offer won't be here forever!

ING may have a good read on Canadian culture: as a whole, Canadians seem to focus on short term gains over long expenses. Witness the "free smart phone" offers that involve people signing up for three years of very expensive monthly cellular data plans. Our cellular costs are the highest in the world. Despite their kvetching, enough people sign up to keep the offers coming from the telcoms and ING, apparently. :sad:
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Peoples Trust Choice Savings Account is now paying an interest rate of 1.9%
freedom_2008
Contributor
Contributor

Post by freedom_2008 »

Taggart wrote:Peoples Trust Choice Savings Account is now paying an interest rate of 1.9%
It is still 2.1% in https://thebestrate.peoplestrust.com/main/?mainhome# for existing clients?
“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react.” — Charles R. Swindoll
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

freedom_2008 wrote:
Taggart wrote:Peoples Trust Choice Savings Account is now paying an interest rate of 1.9%
It is still 2.1% in https://thebestrate.peoplestrust.com/main/?mainhome# for existing clients?
I find that kind of strange. Is it normal for a financial institution to keep it's former interest rates for existing customers and lower it for new accounts? How long can they keep that going?
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Taggart wrote:
freedom_2008 wrote:
I find that kind of strange. Is it normal for a financial institution to keep it's former interest rates for existing customers and lower it for new accounts? How long can they keep that going?
Weird - never heard of such a thing......
fundamental
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fundamental »

like_to_retire wrote:
Taggart wrote:
freedom_2008 wrote: It is still 2.1% in https://thebestrate.peoplestrust.com/main/?mainhome# for existing clients?
Weird - never heard of such a thing......
Isn't it usually the other way around ? (Entice new customer's and accomodate existing customers who squawk)
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” - Winston Churchill
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Just confirmed by telephone PT Savings Acct. rate is now 1.9% for all clients.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

CROCKD wrote:Just confirmed by telephone PT Savings Acct. rate is now 1.9% for all clients.
Thanks for confirming. I'm in the process of moving our TFSA's to Peoples Trust and was thinking about moving the savings account there too, but now I think I'll just sit back a bit longer, and take a wait and see attitude.
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

I had a $5k gic from cibc that was a tfsa, I think I should have transferred it to PT, where I am currently parking tfsa gics. Instead, I just dumped the money into a bank account and will send PT a check. I'm assuming I have lost the interest amount as something to put in to PT and am only allowed to send in the original 5k amount...anybody done this?

Thx
suzy
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

flywaysuzy wrote:I had a $5k gic from cibc that was a tfsa, I think I should have transferred it to PT, where I am currently parking tfsa gics. Instead, I just dumped the money into a bank account and will send PT a check.
This is a bit confusing. I assume you withdrew the money from a cibc tfsa - this would have been $5k+ interest. If it was withdrawn before Dec.31,2011 you are eligible to deposit $5k+int. into a PT TFSA this year. If it was only withdrawn this year (2012) you cannot put it back (5k+int.) into a TFSA until Jan.1, 2013 or you will pay a penalty.

Edited:

If you have not made a contribution to a TFSA for this year you are eligible to deposit $5k.
However any amount withdrawn from a TFSA is subject to the above rules for redeposit.
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

Thanks, my fault for not checking the rules ahead of time..I'll send it in in January, along with next year's contribution!
suzy
freedom_2008
Contributor
Contributor

Post by freedom_2008 »

CROCKD wrote:Just confirmed by telephone PT Savings Acct. rate is now 1.9% for all clients.
Yep, looks like they just updated the saving rate on "Valued Customers" page today. But their GIC rates are still very different between their public page and the "Valued Customers" page (e.g. 5yr GIC 2.4% vs 3.25%). If I remember correctly, you can only get the better rate if you have an account with them already and buy GIC on-line, not via phone.
“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react.” — Charles R. Swindoll
sunkenradish
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sunkenradish »

As of today, Canadian Direct Financial still pays 2% and 3% interest on their KeyRate Saving and KeyReach TFSA, respectively.

Interestingly, they upgraded their online banking system recently. Transfer between account can be done without placing a phone call to them and are instantaneous. (TFSA<->savings)

There's a review of the CDF online interface, here: http://www.highinterestsavings.ca/2011/ ... ce-review/

We'll see if they lower their rates to follow People's Trust.
sydney2
Contributor
Contributor

MIP710 at TDW

Post by sydney2 »

Today I placed a buy order to add funds to my MIP710 at TDW...a messsage came up that the order could not go through and to call TDW. As of June 1st, TDW will not sell MIP710's, the alternative is a TDW investment @1.25% they explained that my existing MIP710 which is paying 1.3%. can still exist, but I cannot purchase additional units.

I guess they feel it is better to keep this investment in house. :?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: MIP710 at TDW

Post by AltaRed »

This is covered in considerable detail in this thread http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 25#p469525

I suspect most, if not all, discount brokers have discontinued the practice of offering competitor HISA products.
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 07 Feb 2014 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replace old domain name with www.financialwisdomforum.org to reflect new domain name effective 19-Jan-2014
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
sydney2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sydney2 »

Thanks for your reply Alta Red I didn't check far enough in the other posts, I should have known this site would be right up to date.
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

I own both the MIP and TDB ISA accounts.

I wouldn't worry too much about 5 bps, but if the spread widens materially, then other options may need to be considered.
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

AltaRed wrote:I suspect most, if not all, discount brokers have discontinued the practice of offering competitor HISA products.
BMOIL still offers 7 products from IBN100 to DYN500 and incl.MIP710

The big drawback. There is a $25,000 minimum.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

CROCKD wrote:The big drawback. There is a $25,000 minimum.
Plus most likely a minimum 90 day hold to avoid penalty provisions (intended no doubt to ensure the broker gets one trailer fee out of the transactions).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

AltaRed wrote: Plus most likely a minimum 90 day hold
No minimum hold. You can put it in one day and take it out the next. I checked by telephone before I parked my RRIF withdrawal money.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

CROCKD wrote:No minimum hold. You can put it in one day and take it out the next. I checked by telephone before I parked my RRIF withdrawal money.
Perhaps limited to registered accounts? If not, it seems odd they would be a charitable organization incurring expense on behalf of their clients. :P No wonder BMO has not raised their dividend since 2007,
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

CROCKD wrote:
AltaRed wrote:I suspect most, if not all, discount brokers have discontinued the practice of offering competitor HISA products.
BMOIL still offers 7 products from IBN100 to DYN500 and incl.MIP710

The big drawback. There is a $25,000 minimum.
Does anyone know of an option for a bit less than $25,000 with BMOIL? Also need to be able to apply "automatic" monthly withdrawals for a RRIF.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Taggart wrote:Does anyone know of an option for a bit less than $25,000 with BMOIL? Also need to be able to apply "automatic" monthly withdrawals for a RRIF.
No, but it is probably BMO's own product. When you do find out, it would be good to include something here http://www.finiki.org/wiki/High-Interes ... s_Accounts
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

BMOIL:

RRSP: http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/banking/rates/rrsp looks like savings account is .25% :roll:

TFSA: Tax free savings account | Bank accounts | BMO Bank of Montreal - 1.15% available

I note that Fund Quote - The Globe and Mail yields .1%.

Added: iShares CMR http://ca.ishares.com/product_info/fund ... ew/CMR.htm may be a possibility but isn't CDIC insured.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones