What did you sell, what might you sell? (2012)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you sell, what might you sell? (2012)

Post by Taggart »

As mentioned elsewhere, I wasn't too happy about Reitmans (RET) latest quarterly report that came out last week. It seems like competition is hurting them. The company hasn't announced a dividend increase since 2010, and since I don't see another increase forthcoming in the near future, plus the stock was in a little bit of an upward trend late this afternoon, I decided it was time to sell all my equity holdings in this company. At least I got out with a bit of a profit.
abose
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abose »

Sold all my Cineplex (CGX) recently. The price has really shot up since February and the stock now looks overvalued. I'm still looking for a suitable replacement in the consumer discretionary sector. I fear I might end up sitting on the cash for a while before I find something I like.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Sold the last 100 SJR.B I had. Waiting for better opportunities ahead....
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

On Tuesday, when CNR drifted significantly lower, I repurchased it in my RRSP account. Today I sold it for a small gain of 3%+. This is the second buy and sell of CNR in the past month and I have netted almost 8% profit from the two sets of trades.
Regards,
Pickles
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Pickles wrote:On Tuesday, when CNR drifted significantly lower, I repurchased it in my RRSP account. Today I sold it for a small gain of 3%+. This is the second buy and sell of CNR in the past month and I have netted almost 8% profit from the two sets of trades.
Excellent work and a sharp eye, but how do you ever find the ongoing time to 'trade'? I hardly find time to do sufficient research simply to purchase or sell 'buy and hold' stock.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

AltaRed wrote:
Pickles wrote:On Tuesday, when CNR drifted significantly lower, I repurchased it in my RRSP account. Today I sold it for a small gain of 3%+. This is the second buy and sell of CNR in the past month and I have netted almost 8% profit from the two sets of trades.
Excellent work and a sharp eye, but how do you ever find the ongoing time to 'trade'? I hardly find time to do sufficient research simply to purchase or sell 'buy and hold' stock.
As a retiree without a pension, my "job" is to generate an income and, if possible, grow my investments. Half of my current income comes from my stocks so I check the market every morning while I have my second cup of coffee,unless I have an appointment or some special activity to do. I was out of town but happened to check the market for something to do while waiting for others to get ready to go out for lunch. I saw CNR getting close to my buy price so I put in a bid that was filled while we dined. I checked the next day and found the buy went through so put in a sell price with a 2 day limit (I was traveling home yesterday and looking forward to reading on the train, not monitoring the market). I found out the order was filled when I did my mid-morning check today.

I know some of you rarely check your stocks. I am still relatively new to stock market trading and in the learning mode. I find the volatility since 2007 is both scary and full of opportunity. I do no research, though aside from a glance at the annual and quarterly statements before I buy and the press releases after. And, of course, reading this forum!!

In the summer, I do gardening and camping instead.
Regards,
Pickles
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

Pickles wrote:
AltaRed wrote:
As a retiree without a pension, my "job" is to generate an income and, if possible, grow my investments. Half of my current income comes from my stocks so I check the market every morning while I have my second cup of coffee,unless I have an appointment or some special activity to do. I was out of town but happened to check the market for something to do while waiting for others to get ready to go out for lunch. I saw CNR getting close to my buy price so I put in a bid that was filled while we dined. I checked the next day and found the buy went through so put in a sell price with a 2 day limit (I was traveling home yesterday and looking forward to reading on the train, not monitoring the market). I found out the order was filled when I did my mid-morning check today.

I know some of you rarely check your stocks. I am still relatively new to stock market trading and in the learning mode. I find the volatility since 2007 is both scary and full of opportunity. I do no research, though, aside from a glance at the annual and quarterly statements before I buy and the press releases after. And, of course, reading this forum!!

In the summer, I do gardening and camping instead.
Regards,
Pickles
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Pickles wrote:As a retiree without a pension, my "job" is to generate an income and, if possible, grow my investments. Half of my current income comes from my stocks so I check the market every morning while I have my second cup of coffee,unless I have an appointment or some special activity to do. I was out of town but happened to check the market for something to do while waiting for others to get ready to go out for lunch. I saw CNR getting close to my buy price so I put in a bid that was filled while we dined. I checked the next day and found the buy went through so put in a sell price with a 2 day limit (I was traveling home yesterday and looking forward to reading on the train, not monitoring the market). I found out the order was filled when I did my mid-morning check today.
I understand as I usually check my 'watchlist' and 'holdings' every day or two unless I am away. That said, what I have seen you do is play (and make money) within a trading range. To do that successfully more often than not, and rather than mostly luck, it means you need to understand which stocks are most likely to have a reasonably predictable trading range, and what that range is to beat the professionals. Otherwise, you could be left high and dry if that stock breaks from that trading range.

I have considered trading select stocks too but fear I will not pay enough attention to what is going on to win, i.e. better than 50-50. I have noted the conversation regarding TA for example (per Shakes).TRI may be another IIRC.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

The problem with trading ranges is that stocks can break out of them.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

Sold my entire position in CGX today when a GTC limit order got hit at $30. Time to find something else to play with as this stock is priced for perfection and then some.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

Shakespeare wrote:The problem with trading ranges is that stocks can break out of them.
Like your recent buy --Trans Alta. That's why I only do this with a stock whose dividend is rock solid and which I am prepared to hold if the trading range disappears.
Regards,
Pickles
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

Sold out of:
Deswell (DSWL-Q) $2.50US range
Re: Shifting funds to other 2 stocks (European telcos) where I "hope" can be held for a longer term.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

On Tuesday, when CNR drifted significantly lower, I repurchased it in my RRSP account. Today I sold it for a small gain of 3%+. This is the second buy and sell of CNR in the past month and I have netted almost 8% profit from the two sets of trades.
I would say that selling CNR a few years ago to take profits was one of the larger mistakes I have made in investing. I had it in the $40s and sold it in the $50s. This is one to buy when its cheap and hold forever, unless its a huge weighting in the portfolio, in which case you might trim back occasionally on gains.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

JaydoubleU wrote:
I would say that selling CNR a few years ago to take profits was one of the larger mistakes I have made in investing. I had it in the $40s and sold it in the $50s. This is one to buy when its cheap and hold forever, unless its a huge weighting in the portfolio, in which case you might trim back occasionally on gains.
My main cnr holding is in my non - registered account. It is a long term investment with an acb of$46. Too bad you sold yours.
Regards,
Pickles
EmperorCoder
Contributor
Contributor

Post by EmperorCoder »

Completely sold out AEB for a 35% gain in 4 months, not bad :p

Raising cash for the "sell in May" specials.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Sold my shares of Diageo (DEO).

Fantastic company and love their products, but when it hit a new 52-week and all-time high over $101, with a P/E of 24 and P/B of 7.6, I felt it was time to cash in and sit back for awhile, maybe have a scotch and consider my next moves.
vince2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vince2 »

Sold YLO Bond maturing 2020 at 52c on the $. It was quoted for a long time at 35c on the dollar but the bond activists pushed the price up and it was time to get out. Memo to self - reaching for yield can end badly.

Time to build up cash - which hopefully should be profitable.
'A slow death to those who become slaves of habit, who repeat the same track every day, who do not change pace, who do not risk and change the colour of their clothes, who do not talk and who do not learn.'
Pablo Neruda
OptsyEagle
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OptsyEagle »

JaydoubleU wrote:Sold my shares of Diageo (DEO).

Fantastic company and love their products, but when it hit a new 52-week and all-time high over $101, with a P/E of 24 and P/B of 7.6, I felt it was time to cash in and sit back for awhile, maybe have a scotch and consider my next moves.
You did better then me. I unloaded it around $89 for the same reason. How much more booze are they expecting someone to drink next year then they are already drinking this year. I know I can't increase my consumption much more without it seriously affecting my personality. :D
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

You did better then me. I unloaded it around $89 for the same reason. How much more booze are they expecting someone to drink next year then they are already drinking this year. I know I can't increase my consumption much more without it seriously affecting my personality.
It was a really nice run, and a tough one to part with, but I have been moving away from the "buy-and-hold forever" strategy lately towards one that might be called, "sell fully-valued stocks with low relative yields and reallocate to cheap stocks with lots of upside potential." So far, so good.
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

Took advantage of recent strength to dump my SLF shares (actually set a tight stop and was stopped out). I'm just thinking that the Federal Government has to be one of Sunlife's biggest contracts and each employee cut is one less income stream to Sunlife. Will take a little time to hit Sunlife's bottom line because laid-off employees have a year leeway but there are probably better investment opportunities out there.
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Sold my shares of CHL.A. It appears to be a well-managed company and is still cheap by most measures, however it has risen very far, very fast, up 25% in one month and 42% YTD. The yield has dropped to 3.2%. I felt it was time to cash in while the cashing was good. But what a helicopter ride it has been! I'm up 100%, but I know that others got in this one at five bucks, and it's now over $34.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Sold 100 GWO, as I continue to reduce my lifeco exposure.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

Shakespeare wrote:Sold 100 GWO, as I continue to reduce my lifeco exposure.
OK Shakes, I like to keep an eye on your moves, probably because I agree with most of them, but once in a while you get me scrathing my head.

A couple of months ago you were dumping REITs. I think the reason was the threat of higher rates. But, as one of the few sectors that could actually benefit from higher rates is the insurers, I wonder if you have changed your thinking.

Care to explain?
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I don't like the volatility of lifecos. I'd just as soon invest somewhere else.
Shine
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shine »

Noticed that BPO filed the other day for Q1 with significant losses. I am holding both XRE and Artis in two different accounts and am thinking of cashing in totally. The yield is good, and both holdings have more than doubled since the original purchase, yet there are ever increasing articles and chatter about the real estate bubble - homes, condos, and commercial.

Anyone thinking the same? I assume rate increases will add stress to REIT s but are rate increases even on the horizon?