First Leaside Group of Companies

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: First Leaside Group of Companies

Post by kcowan »

Companies like these need to be regulated. But then so do the Nigerian fundraisers.
For the fun of it...Keith
mpav
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mpav »

pitz wrote:
mpav wrote: If you are intent on owning property, do so yourself and manage it yourself.
In defense of a investment like First Leaside (but not First Leaside specifically) -- few individuals have enough resources to actually purchase the types of properties that First Leaside held in their portfolio, nevermind manage them.

From reading the report, the problems faced by First Leaside would also apply to a residential property investor -- the assets that are available in the marketplace are very overpriced relative to the long-term cashflow they provide. In many cases in FL's portfolio, the cashflow is actually quite negative. Which is a situation faced by many landlords in the GTA these days.

In those reports, I failed to see substantive evidence that FL's management was, in any way, crooked. Their assumptions were just tragically flawed, much like most homeowners in Calfornia believed that RE appreciation is perpetual.

Resources? Do you mean capital? If so you can buy a REIT. If you dont have enought capital to buy a commerical property outright, then you want to take part in something that is liquid, regulated, and has some type of oversight (equity market analysts etc.). If you dont have much money, and go into the private investments you will get creamed.

These companies pool resources to buy properties, risk is with the investor so they of course overpay. Again it aint their money.

I own several smaller properties and it is work, and it is challenging, so goes back to the princple if it sounds to good likely is....

I think these companies pray on peoples desires to "own" land/buildings as it is a big sign of wealth, also people will give money away if it means no work....I suspect lots of hard working people put money into these types of structures and just get killed.
Shine
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shine »

kcowan wrote:Companies like these need to be regulated. But then so do the Nigerian fundraisers.
I recall that David Baines (Vancouver Sun) did a article on this company but I can't find it on line tonight.

His columns are excellent.
wasinc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by wasinc »

I am wondering about how long Leo de Bever has been a director of First Leaside. Does anybody have any idea when he became a director?
vince2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vince2 »

First Leaside granted creditor protection

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... nt=2348249

Seems as though they eventually ran out of money and new customers.
'A slow death to those who become slaves of habit, who repeat the same track every day, who do not change pace, who do not risk and change the colour of their clothes, who do not talk and who do not learn.'
Pablo Neruda
mpav
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mpav »

I hope the individual investors can at least recoup some of the investment. The assets seem very leveraged so hopefully they can get 50cents or more on the dollar.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

From today's Globe:. Http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... 4376884/No wonder they were so desperate for capital ; the boss man was making withdrawals.
Regards,
Pickles
mpav
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mpav »

He is looking at jail time for this....bad corporate strategy/structure is one thing, but these guys seem to have crossed the line.

Hopefully they do get punished harshly.
pmredmonton
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pmredmonton »

Good job by FWR community to sniff this one out before the auditors.
constant
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by constant »

Sutts, Strosberg LLP is currently investigating the circumstances surrounding the collapse of the First Leaside Group of Companies, subsequent the August 19, 2011 Grant Thornton report advising that the First Leaside Group of Companies had weak financial controls.

Sutts, Strosberg LLP is evaluating a possible class action on behalf of all persons who purchased the securities in or used any of the investment vehicles of the First Leaside Group of Companies, subsequent August 19, 2011.

Persons who purchased the securities in or used any of the investment vehicles of the First Leaside Group of Companies subsequent August 19, 2011 are encouraged to contact Alex Constantin of Sutts, Strosberg LLP. Mr. Constantin can be contacted by telephone at (519) 561-6231 x 231, or by email at aconstantin@strosbergco.com.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

First Leaside executives penalized in real-estate securities scandal
Two senior executives of the First Leaside group of companies have been barred permanently from the brokerage industry and fined for various securities violations, including placing clients in unsuitable high-risk investments and distributing misleading marketing materials. ...Along with the permanent bans, IIROC imposed fines of $2 million on Phillips and $500,000 on Wilson. ....