Shopping Bargains

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Shopping Bargains

Post by flywaysuzy »

They have a good selection of cheeses, nuts, lunch meats, baking supplies, inexpensive cut flowers. Their wool socks are probably the cheapest anywhere...(except in American Costco).
suzy
Shurville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Shurville »

Also some great buys on clearance items at Costco. You can i.d a clearance item by the price .Items that end with a 7 are priced to move.E.G. $19.97 .
Last year I bought a case of 4X4ltr containers of outboard motor oil for $19.97. This Item is priced at $19.95 for a single 4 ltr container at CTC.
We also buy large packs of paper towels and toilet paper.. ditto for garbage bags.This way we only need to shop once or twice a year for some bulky items. Space to store stuff is not a problem.
A couple of years ago my spouse returned 2 ..3 year old vacuum cleaners without a reciept for full price and no question.
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

DW insists on us having a Costco membership but we rarely use it. I hate the place. As Bylo and Adrian noted, you have to know your prices -- Costco's are not necessarily the cheapest. For example, I've found that toilet paper, tissue and paper towels -- very popular items at Costco -- are almost always on a loss-leader sale at regular supermarkets at least once a month, the LL prices are lower than Costco's. (FWIW my local supermarket -- Loblaws subsidiary Zehrs -- and Canadian Tire both seem to have gotten into lots of unadvertized specials. I guess they see it as a way to force people into the stores.)

As Adrian said, their prescription drug dispensary fee is very low. I know that because my cleaning goes there; it's too far a drive for me.

I've almost always found that checkout lines are long and IIRC I can't use the Visa card that pays me a dividend.

We've probably used our Costco card more in the States than in Canada.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

brucecohen wrote:As Adrian said, their prescription drug dispensary fee is very low.
Not only that, but the pills themselves are cheaper, too.
brucecohen wrote:IIRC I can't use the Visa card that pays me a dividend.
They only take cash, Interac and Amex.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

brucecohen wrote: "I hate the place."
"you have to know your prices -- Costco's are not necessarily the cheapest."

"I've almost always found that checkout lines are long"

" I can't use the Visa card that pays me a dividend. "
Agree with all the above points.

When Costco opened here, the manager was a customer of ours. He gave us a free membership. But for above reasons, we hardly used it. Once or twice, I did pick up a few items, but when I went to pay, I was behind a line of people with carts loaded high . I returned the items and left! Not sure I actually ever bought anything there and wife same.

Manager told me that they buy odd lots of goods and that would explain why store inventories are different. He said he did not always know what they were getting. Often end of lines or slightly dated models in electronics etc. He also told me that they mainly tried to compete with Walmart's prices and admitted that there was not much difference.

Food is good value - we sometimes go with friends when in USA to buy meat and wine. Quantities usually too big for two of us, but good when we have a house full.

We do get out Keurig Coffee Cups there. My son has a membership and picks them up for us. $39.95 for 80 (50c/cup). Better than anywhere else we have found and a lot cheaper than TH or Starbucks!
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

In the last year or two I find that Costco's prices on electronics are not any better than most places elseware. However, for example on computers and televisions, the second year warranty provided by Costco is a bonus.
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Dennis wrote:However, for example on computers and televisions, the second year warranty provided by Costco is a bonus.
You can get extended warranty (double the manufacturer's, up to an extra year) from a few no annual fee credit cards. Never got the occasion to use it.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

While I agree there are opportunities at Costco, the 'experience' should be better classified as 'nightmare'. It's too far from me and if I have to be inline more than 5 minutes(10 minutes tops) at the tills, I do not go back. If they provided a free membership and took Visa, I might be convinced to go once or twice a year.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Since being retired, I find the lineups to be tolerable. I usually strike up a conversation with someone in line. And making change does not seem to be the same issue that it is in grocery stores.
For the fun of it...Keith
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

The lines at our Costco are long, but they have 2 people working them and they move very quickly. Sizes of the food items are generally way too big for the two of us, but prescriptions and oil changes make it a worthwhile "purchase" for us.
jakewine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jakewine »

Sorry if this has already been mentioned...I've heard that you do not need a Costco membership to use the pharmacy. Just tell the Costco greeter you are going to the pharmacy and no need to show a card or use one to pay for pharmacy items.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

The Costco I use does not have a pharmacy. Opticien/optometrist/photo yes.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

rhenderson wrote:I find that the Eneloop holds it charge the longest when just sitting in the camera or a drawer.

Dell usually has them on sale about 6 times a year and there is no charge for shipping, delivered right to your door. :thumbsup:
Like now, see Computers & Electronics : Kingston 16GB SDHC $19.99, Sanyo Eneloop Kit $26 | Calgary Deals - RedFlagDeals.com
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

I couldn't see where it said what kind of batteries these are...am I blind or is it hidden?
suzy
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

flywaysuzy wrote:I couldn't see where it said what kind of batteries these are...am I blind or is it hidden?
Somewhat hidden, when you click through to the Dell page, there is a picture plus in the description section
Includes - 1x Overnight charger, 8x AA Eneloop, and 4x AAA Eneloop
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Shop.ca • Amazon.com of the Great White North?

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Shop.ca takes aim at Canada’s online buyers - The Globe and Mail
Canada is a land of dissatisfied online shoppers. From high-end fashion to hardware, Canadians are the poor e-commerce cousins to Americans in just about every way: Higher prices for poorer selection; shipping costs are often more expensive; and, for items ordered from abroad, duty and customs-related charges can drive up total costs...

“We’re like an e-commerce colony and have developed a mentality that we can’t do anything about it,” digital economy guru Don Tapscott said. “You suffer in silence and hope you have a U.S. relative.”

Canadian online retail, in short, looks a lot like Canadian retail did 20 years ago: unimpressive, outdated and at threat of being thrashed by American retailers – many of which are already making steady progress in better serving this market... Four in 10 dollars spent online goes abroad, meaning a large portion of spending isn't going back into the Canadian economy, at a time when the retail industry is on rocky footing and facing new competition from foreign rivals such as Target Corp. Getting e-commerce right is a part of making the sector more productive and competitive – a vital step in a country where consumer spending represents some 60 per cent of economic activity.

This month, a startup with a snappy URL and huge ambitions is hoping to change that. The business, Shop.ca Network Inc., opens its virtual doors and sets in motion what its owners hope will become Canada’s top shopping website – an Amazon of the north, with free shipping, free returns, a big selection and even a loyalty program.

Shop.ca has signed up close to 850 retailers and suppliers to offer their wares through its website, and claims to offer the largest selection of any Canadian site, with more than 15 million items and 4,000 brands including adidas, Canon, Nine West and Stanley...
The website is up but there's not much yet to see. Just marketing bumpf and promises of what lays in storeonline, when they actually open their doorsserver.

Anyone think they stand a chance of succeeding?

What's more important to Canadian shoppers: (a) lowest price or (b) good customer service ? Or to put it another way, how much more are you prepared to pay for convenience and service?

Do you think they'll be able to offer Canadians low enough prices to dissuade us from shopping in the US?
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

The site says free shipping for orders over $40 ... that doesn't seem particularly competitive.

With foreign orders having customs/duty, higher shipping costs to Canada, and probably 2.5% vig on the credit card, that's what there is to compete with and that's probably about what we get.
Brix
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Brix »

Ghod, but we're a nation of coupon-shuffling suckers! Shop.ca is apparently boasting the country's "richest" loyalty program. No doubt they reckon they're dead in the water without it. "Buy this $800 fridge for $1098 and get $250 instant cash back!" could be a line in our national anthem.
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

I find cross border on-line shopping much cheaper when you set up a US address and run over to pick up the goods.Works if you are close to the border. I set up my address in Lewiston NY which is 10 minutes after crossing . Info here http://www.usaddressinc.com/
Live like you are dying but invest like you are immortal.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

There are 2 or 3 places around the Falls that provide this service. The nice thing about the one you've highlighted is, that it is just a few miles further down the road to get cheap gas on the Reservation.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

biker wrote:I find cross border on-line shopping much cheaper when you set up a US address and run over to pick up the goods. Works if you are close to the border.
Yabbut, the Center of the UniverseTronno is a 2 hour drive (each way) from the border, as is Waterloo. Same with those in Montreal and Vancouver. And of course even farther for other large metropolitan areas. So it's not practical for a good many people, probably the majority of Canadians.

I've got an Amerifriend in the US that we visit 2 or 3 times a year. That helps but it's still impractical if you need something sooner than 5 months from now when you next plan to visit. Then there are the hassles of returning stuff across the border for refund or repair.

ISTM there's an opportunity for someone like shop.ca to either offer goods in-Canada at near-US prices or offer goods shipped from the US for which Canadian taxes are prepaid at the point of sale. There are some sellers who do this already, ranging from LL Bean to Newegg, but no one (yet) with the breadth of stock of amazon.com.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Mosty dollar store stuff but I ordered a spare battery for my camera from Tmart will see how long it takes to arrive and the quality, estimate is 30 days. http://www.tmart.com/
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

[quote="Bylo SelhiYabbut, the Center of the UniverseTronno is a 2 hour drive (each way) from the border, as is Waterloo. Same with those in Montreal and Vancouver. And of course even farther for other large metropolitan areas. So it's not practical for a good many people, probably the majority of Canadians.

[/quote]
True but it works for us since we share with other family and friends. Purchases tend to be large ticket items like Tires/big screen TV's and expensive after market auto parts my son wants.Also we never miss an opportunity for lunch at Apple Granny's in Lewiston NY.
Live like you are dying but invest like you are immortal.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

For those near a Dollarama store and happen to like the taste of steel cut oatmeal, you can buy a 680 g. container from Quaker for only $1.25. Date of expiry is early 2013. Bought one yesterday.
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

biker wrote:I find cross border on-line shopping much cheaper when you set up a US address and run over to pick up the goods.Works if you are close to the border. I set up my address in Lewiston NY which is 10 minutes after crossing . Info here http://www.usaddressinc.com/
I'm finding that's not really necessary, especially for smaller items. For the past couple of years I have begun to do a fair bit of on-line shopping from foreign vendors and have it shipped directly to our door via USPS or Fed Ex at prices (including shipping) that are ~50% of retail (if you can even find the item in a Canadian store). We've purchased a computer, electronics, sporting goods, clothing, books and even alcohol. We have as yet to pay any duties, taxes or brokerage fees outside of the prepaid shipping cost which BTW is way cheaper than Canada Post parcel post rates for similar sized packages.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830