The Money Belt?

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor. Seeking advice on your portfolio?
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

The Money Belt?

Post by flywaysuzy »

In searching for materials specifically designed to teach young adults a bit of financial literacy, I came across a web site from the gov't of canada offering exactly that. Too bad the server seems unable to processs requests for materials...

http://www.themoneybelt.ca/home-accueil-eng.asp

Anybody ever run one of these workshops or know anything about the materials?
suzy
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: The Money Belt?

Post by flywaysuzy »

The English part of the money belt website is gibbled, but the lady called this morning and the materials are in-will report
back when they've arrived!
suzy
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

flywaysuzy:

Did you happen to read this column in yesterday's Globe:

Two lessons on the road to becoming wealthy

Andrew Hallam is a Canadian who teaches English and personal finance at Singapore American School. He is the author of Millionaire Teacher: The nine rules of wealth you should have learned in school. This is the first in a series of columns based on his book.

------------------------------------------

For people of all ages, I also highly recommend the The Richest Man In Babylon
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

Taggart wrote:Andrew Hallam is a Canadian who teaches English and personal finance at Singapore American School.
While his financial advice is basic & valid I can't help but shudder at an English teacher writing "Like I said". :shock:
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Nemo2 wrote:
Taggart wrote:Andrew Hallam is a Canadian who teaches English and personal finance at Singapore American School.
While his financial advice is basic & valid I can't help but shudder at an English teacher writing "Like I said". :shock:
New generation Nemo. As for myself, I'm just an old fogey who has to accept the change.
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

Thanks for that Taggart, please send the rest along when it's printed! One dear offspring is coming back home to roost. No financial assets, just a tv bigger than a cow-to be honest at his age I don't think I had many assets either, just 5 years of university under my belt. At least I didn't have a tv requiring a hangar to put it in :)
suzy
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

flywaysuzy wrote:In searching for materials specifically designed to teach young adults a bit of financial literacy
From homeless to home owner

I found this article interesting from a couple of aspects.

First - the teaching of financial literacy.

Second - the role of an organization which developed from the Mennonite Central Committee of Alberta. The Mennonites have frequently been mentioned in this forum as a charity worth supporting.

Thirdly - how an individual given a leg up and support can help themself.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

A financially challenged generation is slipping through the cracks
A survey from British Columbia Securities Commission found that at a time when personal debt levels and housing prices are soaring to record highs, recent high-school grads are nothing but optimistic about their financial future.

The survey of more than 3,000 17-to-20-year olds, released last week to kick off Financial Literacy Month, found that the average respondent expects to be raking in about $90,000 a year by the age of 30. That is roughly three times the national average.

Almost three-quarters of those surveyed think that they will be homeowners by the same age, despite government data estimating that only 42 per cent of 25-to-29-year olds are homeowners.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I don't know about that.
1) It could be typical of a generation that has been coddled and supported by mommy and daddy for the most part, have been taught self-esteem all through school despite an inability to read or write, and rescued from hurting themselves every time they get a bump on the head. Why not expect the moon?
2) OTOH, development of self-esteem will allow them to push through obstacles and perhaps feel confident enough they will have the skills to succeed. Why not be optimistic?

It may depend on which one of those people show up when the rubber hits the road.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom