Cameco (Symbol-CCO) rising again

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Cameco (Symbol-CCO) rising again

Post by 2 yen »

Bought Cameco in low 40's last year, sold it at 53 or so. Bought it again at low 40's a few weeks ago and now it is on the way up again. Will it go higher this time around? I mean higher than mid 50's. Uranium has jumped a bit in price.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

Now this is getting interesting. Cameco jigs the books to avoid showing a 123 or so million loss on the foreign gold mine they are mixed up in, and miraculously show a large profit for the quarter. What gives? Has this 'false' profit already been factored into the recently rising share price?
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Cameco (CCO-TSX)

Post by Dennis »

I am considering CCO to add to my commodity stocks (I've also got oil in FEL and COS.UN).

I see metals as overpriced at this stage but Cameco seems to be listing at a seemingly attractive price (abt $37) and the future for uranium looks good. Their management experience with nuclear plants gives them some diversification.

Any downside with uranium in a recession? What is your opinion of the management of the company? Anybody else see it as a good bet at this time?
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Cameco (CCO-TSX)

Post by ghariton »

Dennis wrote:Anybody else see it as a good bet at this time?
Yes. I've got most of my play money there. Of course, that might be an excellent reason not to invest in it. :cry:

My reasoning is that, eventually, if countries are serious about global warming, they will have to turn to ALL sources of non-GHG energy. The main one will have to be uranium. The only problem is how long all this will take. Global warming fervor seems to be dying down or at least abating these days. perhaps the public can't keep focussed on an issue for longer than a year or two.

Georges
The juice is worth the squeeze
tidal
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tidal »

Bought deal, priced @ $17.25. ~ $450,000,000 with over-allot.
The future is bright for jellyfish, caulerpa taxifolia, dinoflagellates and prokaryotes... rust never sleeps... the dude abides... the stupid, it burns. (http://bit.ly/LXZsXd)
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

I won't comment beyond this post but as a day-job I do work in the "nuclear field" and we are busy on a global basis. We usually boom during recession and this time seems to be no different, hiring, plant expansions etc. Some might view nuclear as part of infrastructure spending and long run I would agree, but lets face it people want to flip a switch and have the lights go on.

Full disclosure I am long Cameco and am looking to purchase Uranium Participation Corporation U-TSX. There is also Nuclear Energy ETF NLR trades on the NYSE.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I do work in the "nuclear field"
Hence the addy. :wink:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Cameco (Symbol-CCO) rising again

Post by newguy »

Really taking a beating lately, down over 5% today near $24. I think it represents good value here as they have mostly long term contracts at a fixed price. I'm not buying yet as I think this is a bear market but I will keep an eye on it. Of course this is in reaction to Japan and Germany and now Italy reducing or canceling nuclear plans.

newguy
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Cameco shares drop after earnings miss
Around late morning, the stock was off about 7.8 per cent, or $1.69, to $20.08 on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

I was going to post this when I read the news this AM.
cco.JPG
cco.JPG (13.83 KiB) Viewed 19550 times
Notice 3Q is down but spelled backwards (Q3) it rises. I think I just found the holy grail of investing.

newguy
Shine
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shine »

newguy wrote:
Notice 3Q is down but spelled backwards (Q3) it rises. I think I just found the holy grail of investing.
You mean find dyslexic brokers?
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

So they missed by a penny and it dropped 5% on the opening :shock: . Not to worry, it looks like it will actually finish positive for the day even though commodities and the TSX are getting hit sort of hard today. I think this is the only commodity with a good positive outlook over the next 5-10 years.

I can't understand the roller coaster rides in some stocks. Much easier to just index.

newguy
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Cameco now mining ore at Cigar Lake - Saskatchewan - CBC News
Cameco is now mining and shipping uranium at its long-delayed Cigar Lake mine in northern Saskatchewan.
That's a very rich ore body.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

May be the stock to watch, especially if the Japanese are re-thinking the closure of their nuclear plants and perhaps even Germany given recent Russian antics. If I was a European country, I would be looking to further decrease dependence on Russian energy supplies. Only France seems to have its head screwed on right in this matter.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Cameco vs. the taxman: The squabble that keeps on growing - The Globe and Mail
To review: In 1999, Cameco set up a subsidiary, Cameco Europe Ltd., in low-tax Zug, Switzerland. Cameco then signed a 17-year deal to take the uranium it produces in Canada and sell it to Cameco Europe before it made its way to the end customer.

By injecting a middleman into the transaction, Cameco is able to sell the uranium to Cameco Europe at the low prices reflective of 1999. As a result, Cameco is recording little to no profit in Canada. Instead, all the profits appear in Zug, where the tax rate is lower....

The CRA is disputing both the corporate structure of the arrangement, saying it exists only for tax avoidance, and has no real business purpose. CRA also contests the prices used in the deal. Cameco needs to win on both to prevail....

“If anything, the situation is getting worse for Cameco,” Mr. Rajszel says in an e-mailed comment. “Based on our review of Cameco’s [first quarter] results, the dispute with the CRA may force the company to borrow funds and/or cut its dividend in order to finance the back tax payments.”
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

Transfer pricing is something whose fairness is hard to judge but is lucrative enough to employ legions of lawyers and accountants. Best perhaps that we chop corporate income taxes, and accept the unemployment consequences that will ensue?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

parvus wrote:Best perhaps that we chop corporate income taxes, and accept the unemployment consequences that will ensue?
Isn't it the other way around, at least in theory?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

Depends on whether you're a tax accountant or tax lawyer or indeed a lobbyst for whom tax simplification is an ever-present employment threat. :wink:
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Title should be changed to CCO perpetually falling. Could a TSX60 stock be more miserable than this one? Price is close to completing a 20 yr cycle and heading back to where it was then. Debt is still manageable which is good. But why would management continue to pay a dividend?

I have a small position sitting at 30% loss and not sure I want to keep holding it. Being a cyclical stock it is hard to know when it will turn around, but I am thinking I am better off waiting until there are some signs of uranium demand picking up.

Any holders?
planB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by planB »

jay wrote:Any holders?
I bought some this week as a long term holding. Its hard to replace coal without some alternatives...

FYI I'm an indexer so its in my fun money allocation.
Londoncalling
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Londoncalling »

I bought shortly after the Fukishima disaster thinking that in a couple of years share price would rebound. Was I ever wrong. It was one of my first stock purchases. Am currently down 57%. Often times I debate averaging down. I have always chosen other places to add equity as I bought an overweight position at the time and am currently sitting at 4% of equity portfolio. As a result I continue to hold, collect the small dividend and wait. I think at some point, this may be a feasible and accepted form of energy. Guess we'll see.

Cheers
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Did my post last month mark the bottom?

Nice beat on both revenue ($670 million vs. $639.1 million) and earnings ($0.30 vs. $0.25).
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Great +9.5% move today. See this and that discussing a change in sentiment in Uranimum prices and possible production cuts.

Disclosure: full position as of Dec last year.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Business News | TMXmoney | Cameco shuts production for 10 months at 2 Saskatchewan sites, 845 jobs affected
Cameco (TSX:CCO) said 845 jobs would be "temporarily" lost by the end of January due to the shutdowns at Key Lake and McArthur River.

The McArthur River site mines uranium ore and sends it to Key Lake for processing.
$11.50. Occasionally I think of buying it, then I remember why I don't buy commodity producers.