TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: TD Waterhouse Service

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

This could be either a TDW or a Chrome question, but here goes.

Does anyone know of a setting in either TDW and/or Chrome (or Firefox for that matter) that will allow me to control how TDW opens the "Fixed Income" and/or "Streaming Quotes" navigation bar on the left side of the screen? They currently open in a new window and I'd like them to open in a new tab instead.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

In Firefox, Tools>>Options>>Tabs
Attachments
firefox_options.JPG
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

adrian2 wrote:In Firefox, Tools>>Options>>Tabs
Out of curiousity, did you test this setting causes TDW Fixed Income Centre to open in a Tab rather than a Window?

I'm running Firefox 3.6.15 on Windows 7, with Tools->Options with "Open new windows in a new tab instead" checked. TDW Fixed Income Centre still opens in a new window. Viewing Page Source shows it is controlled by the syntax href="javascript:fixedIncomeWindow('FixedIncome');" which I surmise overrides the browser setting.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:I'm running Firefox 3.6.15 on Windows 7, with Tools->Options with "Open new windows in a new tab instead" checked. TDW Fixed Income Centre still opens in a new window. Viewing Page Source shows it is controlled by the syntax href="javascript:fixedIncomeWindow('FixedIncome');" which I surmise overrides the browser setting.
It's not a URL, such as the New Issues (https://webbrokersoc.tdwaterhouse.ca/NewIssues), but a Java script invokation. For the technically inclined, it seems that the script code is in a different file, as per this snippet of their source code:
<script language="JavaScript" src="include/webbroker.js"></script>

So sorry, it does not seem possible to achieve what you stated.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

I think this is what you want (I found it 'cos I want TDW Reports to open in tabs, not pop-ups): Can Firefox open a pop up as a tab? 4th item:
In about:config, set "Browser.link.open newwindow.restriction" to 0
You also need Tools->Options with "Open new windows in a new tab instead" checked - as described earlier.

Are you familiar with about:config ? It has thousands of settings to tweak Firefox performance :D.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

pmj wrote:Are you familiar with about:config ? It has thousands of settings to tweak Firefox performance .
Yup, I've done some tweaking there in the past. Thanks, I'll give it a try. Did you also follow the instruction about Javascript re-sizing windows?

BTW, I also found this article, Browser.link.open newwindow.restriction - MozillaZine Knowledge Base which has the technical details on Possible values and their effects.

Next up, seeing if Chrome has an equivalent setting.

pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

I saw the warning at the page I linked. I've had no problems with value = 0. I prefer all windows and all tabs to display as maximized views - and these settings achieve that objective.
Peter

Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:They currently open in a new window and I'd like them to open in a new tab instead.
This doesn't answer your question directly but it does tell you what to do after the fact. Turn a Popup Window into a Tab in Chrome
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks Bylo, that is what I've been doing, but it is more clicks steps that I'd like. I'm still looking for the DWIM (Do What I MeanTM button :lol: ).

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

This one has bugged me ever since I moved to Chrome as my browser. Using Chrome v11, Java is up-to-date. Problem is not specific to these versions, as it has been happened with Chrome v10.

When using Streaming Quotes, I run into two problems that are probably related. I've got two different Watchlists defined, call them Have and Watching. Below is a screen capture when Streaming Quotes is running.
TDW Streaming Quotes in Chrome.PNG
Problem 1) If I select "Watch Lists", it crashes the Streaming Quotes window and the TDW tab. It works properly in IE and Firefox.
Problem 2) Notice the "Select" just under Watch Lists. Under IE and Firefox, this contains a drop-down list containing my Watchlists. In Chrome, it does nothing, so I cannot switch the Watch List being displayed in each section of the screen.

Have others noticed these problems? Any workarounds?

Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

We just got letters from TDW to inform us that they botched our T3s in respect of CAR - Canadian Apartment Properties REIT.

No apology "for any inconvenience you may have experienced." Just a revised T3, a blank T1ADJ form and the ass-covering suggestion that we consult our tax pro if we have any questions.

What a class act from the folks who just spent a small fortune to "upgrade" the colour scheme of their website to new shades of puke-green :roll:
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

What a class act from the folks who just spent a small fortune to "upgrade" the colour scheme of their website to new shades of puke-green
Yeah, I've never seen so much fanfare about nothing but a color change.

And the color is awful to boot.

ltr
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

And there's still an image link on the EasyWeb login page saying "We've got a fresh new look, check it out" even though the page already has the new look. :roll: too funny
hboy43
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hboy43 »

like_to_retire wrote:
What a class act from the folks who just spent a small fortune to "upgrade" the colour scheme of their website to new shades of puke-green
Yeah, I've never seen so much fanfare about nothing but a color change.

And the color is awful to boot.

ltr
If only it were just a colour change. Lots seems to be broken now. Today, 30 seconds after last site access, it kicked me out for too long inactive. Over at TDCT, it bounces me to log in whenever I want to go see account activity.

Oh, it is probably cookie issues that changed when I moved to IE 8. I just wish computer systems could be as reliable as say 1910 vintage automobiles.

hboy43
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Bylo Selhi wrote:Just a revised T3, a blank T1ADJ form and the ass-covering suggestion that we consult our tax pro if we have any questions. What a class act from the folks who just spent a small fortune to "upgrade" the colour scheme of their website to new shades of puke-green :roll:
It's actually worse than I first thought. In order to do a T1-ADJ (filed either by paper or online) you have to recompute the entire tax return using the revised T3 data. That gets you to the specific T1 lines that have changed. If you're doing any optimization, e.g. income splitting, then you've got to reoptimize. Finally you use the revided T1 lines to populate fields on the T1-ADJ.

All of this could take several hours, especially if your return is at all complicated and especially if you've generated the return manually. And if you use a tax pro to prepare your return, this exercise could cost you far more than just the extra taxes that arise from the increased dividend income that's on the revised T3 and the time you've wasted on this exercise.

So, should we contact a law firm to stir up a class action in response to TDW's (and/or CAP REIT's) "class act"? :twisted:
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Here's an interesting glitch - if you check out TDW "Current Positions View" before the markets open on Tuesday, you'll probably see all your dual-listed stocks displaying their US$ values from Monday's action in New York 8).
Peter

BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Looks like all the mutual fund codes have gone missing this morning at TDW. Trying to sell some MIP511. All the MM fund codes are not appearing, you can search and find it however. They know of the problem.
Last edited by BRIAN5000 on 13 Jun 2011 10:23, edited 2 times in total.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

BRIAN5000 wrote:Looks like all the mutual fund codes have gonme mssing this morning at TDW. Trying to sell some MIP511. All the MM fund codes are nto appearing, you can search and find it however.
Yeah, I was storing some cash buildup this morning and couldn't figure out where the buy button went for MIP510. I just entered the order manually with the code. Glad to see it's not just me.

ltr
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

Bylo Selhi wrote:We just got letters from TDW to inform us that they botched our T3s in respect of CAR - Canadian Apartment Properties REIT.
I guess ours is "In the mail" then. :(
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

Nemo2 wrote:I guess ours is "In the mail" then. :(
I got mine about the same time as Bylo.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Nemo2 wrote:
Bylo Selhi wrote:We just got letters from TDW to inform us that they botched our T3s in respect of CAR - Canadian Apartment Properties REIT.
I guess ours is "In the mail" then. :(
Does anyone know if this is indeed a TD problem and not a CAR problem?
For the fun of it...Keith
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

kcowan wrote:Does anyone know if this is indeed a TD problem and not a CAR problem?
The letter begins:
We are writing today to inform you that the T3 ... tax slip(s) you recently received are inaccurate due to revised tax reporting information for Canadian Apartment Properties Real Estate Investment Trust (CAP REIT).
it's probably CAR. OTOH, the three IB revisions were definitely IB problems. :(
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Moved some shares from Computershare on Tuesday and they were in My TDW account today and they sent and email that they had arrived. 8)
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

TD Canada Trust......monthly account fee to be raised to $29.95......doesn't affect us since we pay no fees to them or TDWH, (other than buy/sell transaction fees to the latter), but if you don't want to maintain a minimum balance you'd better be earning upwards of 7.19% on your money, just to break even.
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Monthly overdraft protection raised from $3 to $4 and affects everyone on the service, effective August 1, 2011.
For the fun of it...Keith