TD Direct Investing (was Waterhouse) Service

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: TD Waterhouse Service

Post by Shakespeare »

Everything? :shock:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

TD Canada Trust to open on Sundays.

ltr
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

TD Waterhouse wrote: We are pleased to announce that effective November 4, 2010, clients with $50,000 or more in household assets, invested through TD Waterhouse Discount Brokerage, will now be eligible to trade Canadian or U.S. equities for $9.99 flat when using our online or automated telephone Electronic Brokerage Services. Canadian and U.S. option trades will be subject to the same $9.99 base rate plus $1.25 per contract.

Clients with less than $100,000 in household assets must also register their account(s) for eServices to qualify. eServices provides 24/7 online access to your important account documents including statements, trade confirmations and tax documents.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Looks like TDW was feeling the heat and having to compete with Scotia iTrade. That is good for all.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Let's hope they soon feel the heat from CIBC Investor's Edge ;)

(Not that I'm an active trader, of course.)
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Bylo Selhi wrote:(Not that I'm an active trader, of course.)
The Dark side's call is sometimes quite loud and bills may be lying on the sidewalk, but you got to be strong! :)
chinamansteve
Contributor
Contributor

Post by chinamansteve »

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/139500
as of November 4, 2010, it will extend its low flat rate pricing to even more clients.

Clients who hold between $50,000 and $100,000 in household(+) assets invested through TD Waterhouse Discount Brokerage, and who are registered for eServices, will also pay a flat fee commission rate of $9.99 per Canadian or U.S. equity trade when placing trades through its online or automated telephone electronic brokerage services.
EDIT: OOPS! Didn't know Adrian already posted. Sorry!
Last edited by chinamansteve on 19 Oct 2010 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
Stone
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Stone »

I have been a user of WEB BROKER Select when it was a separate entity. Since combining it with the Web Broker I have a problem starting the Streaming Quotes option , the same as some folks way back. Calling the Techs just frastrated me more and I gave up every time. That is the reason why todate I have not used it. Can anyone suggest a solution. I usually use the Firefox as a browser but tried the Explorer and the same problems occurs: it does not load and comes back after a while with an error (23). Today the tech told me to use another computer and that he does not know why its not working. Installed Java version they suggested and cleared all cookies they wanted and still not go... please help, thanks.
Lazy Ninja
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lazy Ninja »

adrian2 wrote:
TD Waterhouse wrote: We are pleased to announce that effective November 4, 2010, clients with $50,000 or more in household assets, invested through TD Waterhouse Discount Brokerage, will now be eligible to trade Canadian or U.S. equities for $9.99 flat when using our online or automated telephone Electronic Brokerage Services. Canadian and U.S. option trades will be subject to the same $9.99 base rate plus $1.25 per contract.

Clients with less than $100,000 in household assets must also register their account(s) for eServices to qualify. eServices provides 24/7 online access to your important account documents including statements, trade confirmations and tax documents.
Well that's no fun. Eligibility for $10 trades with Waterhouse was a medium term goal that I'd been working towards, and all of a sudden I'm there? I'm sure it sounds quite stupid, but I actually talked myself into considering the $29 trades as a positive thing (side note: I can rationalize just about anything). There have been many occasions where I've contemplated making a move, but have held off because I was too cheap to pay the $29. I've wondered about what I might do differently when I did qualify for $10 trades. Time to let the games begin stay disciplined :wink:
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

Wow, that news is huge!

I'm not at the $50K mark myself but it's a lot more achievable than twice that (i.e. perhaps within my first year of gainful employment I'll hit the mark). I had been thinking recently about moving from Credential Direct to Questrade in order to have more reasonable commissions. That is still under consideration, but it's good to know that I also have another upgrade path available.
augustabound
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by augustabound »

Tis big news for those of us poor folk. :wink:

Now if they would allow U.S. dollars in your RRSP without the P.I.T.A "wash trade" maneuver.
"Whenever I'm about to do something I think, would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight K. Schrute
Germack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Germack »

I have a problem with my TD Waterhouse account.

On Friday October 15th I placed an order for TD International index funds and TD US Index funds.

On Monday Oct18 the order for the TD international index got listed under the activity tab with a settlement date of 22 of October. Nothing was listed for the TD US index fund order.

On Thursday I checked my account again and the order for the TD US index fund was still not listed under the activity tab and I could not find the order under the list order tab.

I then placed another order for the US Index fund on Thursday Oct 21st. On Friday Oct22 I checked my account again and now both of my US index fund orders got listed under the activity tab. Because of this I now have a negative balance in my account and I do not have a margin account.

I called TD and asked them to remove the second order, because there was a problem with their software. The order should have been listed on Monday Oct. 18 but only got listed on Friday Oct.22 under the activity tab. However the TD rep refused to remove the second order.

So what should I do now? Should I escalate this to the Ombudsman? Because I do not have a margin account I need to settle the amount today which I cannot do. I can sell my TD US index stocks, however they will charge me an early redemption fee of 2%. :evil:
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Germack wrote:So what should I do now?
I don't know about now, but did you check the "List orders" link? It shows all the orders currently working.

newguy
Germack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Germack »

Yes. Before I placed my new order I could not find the old order under the activity tab and the list order tab.
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Germack wrote:Yes. Before I placed my new order I could not find the old order under the activity tab and the list order tab.
Sorry I didn't read very well. It sounds like they screwed up and I would be pissed. I guess you should cancel or sell the extra for now and try and recoup the 2% from TDWH, I would also make sure I got the fill price for the right date. IIRC the market has been up, up, up. If you put your order in after 3pm (or maybe 4) the price will be the next days close. This is the transaction date's price not the settlement date's.

newguy
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

That is definitely a bummer. :(

It's hindsight, of course, but the careful thing to have done would have been to call TD-W and ask what happened to the "missing" order before placing a second one.

Was this your first purchase of the US Index fund? If not and you have some older units already, they would count those first when you sell, so as to possibly avoid an early redemption penalty. Sounds like selling units will have to be done anyway.

I think they will charge you interest on the negative balance. Can you cover it for a couple days from a line of credit or something with a lower rate? Can you get a day's float by putting a cheque through an ATM?

I would try again to complain about this and at least raise it up to a supervisor. It may be hard to prove the order didn't show up on their system though ... hard to say.
big easy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by big easy »

Germack wrote:I have a problem with my TD Waterhouse account.

On Friday October 15th I placed an order for TD International index funds and TD US Index funds.

On Monday Oct18 the order for the TD international index got listed under the activity tab with a settlement date of 22 of October. Nothing was listed for the TD US index fund order.

On Thursday I checked my account again and the order for the TD US index fund was still not listed under the activity tab and I could not find the order under the list order tab.

I then placed another order for the US Index fund on Thursday Oct 21st. On Friday Oct22 I checked my account again and now both of my US index fund orders got listed under the activity tab. Because of this I now have a negative balance in my account and I do not have a margin account.

I called TD and asked them to remove the second order, because there was a problem with their software. The order should have been listed on Monday Oct. 18 but only got listed on Friday Oct.22 under the activity tab. However the TD rep refused to remove the second order.

So what should I do now? Should I escalate this to the Ombudsman? Because I do not have a margin account I need to settle the amount today which I cannot do. I can sell my TD US index stocks, however they will charge me an early redemption fee of 2%. :evil:
Maybe this is unrelated but I was just looking at my Oct TDW statement. There was some funny activity on my ishares back dated to April 21. All my holdings were sold and then repurchased at a higher price & then sold again and repurchased at the lower original price :shock: . I had a minor heart attack until I realised there was no net change in the number of shares or my cash balance.

The ACB's are probably now f@#$'ed up though. And I wonder if this will trigger a T5008 statement of securities transactions. Does anyone know if the CRA matches these to your tax return? I'd hate to get audited because of this.

I think this is related to a change in CUSIP number on April 21. I noted on another thread that people were seeing two entries for Ishares on Oct 21 I think it was. So maybe this is part of your dilema.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

big easy wrote: Maybe this is unrelated but I was just looking at my Oct TDW statement. There was some funny activity on my ishares back dated to April 21. All my holdings were sold and then repurchased at a higher price & then sold again and repurchased at the lower original price :shock: . I had a minor heart attack until I realised there was no net change in the number of shares or my cash balance.

The ACB's are probably now f@#$'ed up though. And I wonder if this will trigger a T5008 statement of securities transactions. Does anyone know if the CRA matches these to your tax return? I'd hate to get audited because of this.
The listed ACB at TDW may be messed up now, but I'm quite sure you never *actually* sold or rebought anything. Check what it ultimately says on your 2010 statement of transactions though.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

More from TDW,
TDW messages wrote:New and Exclusive ARC Research Reports - Now Available!

We are pleased to announce that, as a President's Account member, you can now enjoy exclusive access to premium equity research reports from Accountability Research Corporation (ARC). ARC is the independent investment research arm of Rosen & Associates, a forensic accounting and business valuation firm that serves North America’s largest fund managers.

Emphasizing independence and objectivity, ARC assesses the quality of a company’s earnings using a unique rating system based on proprietary forensic accounting indicators. ARC reports provide actionable ideas for Canadian and select U.S. and international companies, and can be used to complement your other research.

ARC reports are now available for selected stocks in our Markets & Research site. To access the reports, enter a stock symbol in the “Symbol Lookup” box at the top right in Markets & Research and select “Reports.”

For a preview of ARC research, read a sample report.
For more information about ARC, including a list of the latest company reports available, visit the ARC website. Recent reports include Suncor Energy Inc., Brookfield Properties Corp., RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust, Canadian Natural Resources and Canadian Oil Sands Trust, among others.
Nice to have access to more reports, particular independent viewpoints. My only complaint is the implementation, AFAIK it is next to impossible to determine the roster of companies as there does not appear to be a master list. I checked the ARC website and looked at their New Reports section so had some idea of where to look at TDW. I did find a report on Nexen (NXY), but the ARC website indicated that a report on Metro (MRU) should be available, but TDW doesn't seem to have it. Wouldn't it have been simpler to just provide a master list at TDW?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Rickdl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rickdl »

TD Waterhouse is experiencing technical difficulties this morning.

They are not able to let people know if trades are being completed or not :shock:

I have multiple 'stink bid' orders with order-good-for-dates through the end of the week. I just noticed the stock prices of some have fallen through, going lower than my bid price. Thinking oh great, that means I guess my trades were executed. But going on to webbroker it still has them all outstanding (not filled). It's been over 30 minutes now, I see through the streaming quotes the stocks are trading heavily, but WebBroker still shows my orders as unfilled. When calling the presidents account phone number there not much help on the phone either right now. They can't actually tell me if any of my orders are being filled or not. Just that they're having some technical problems right now with information reporting and there not able to tell when/if orders are being filled :cry:

Anyone else having similar problems this morning with TD Waterhouse / WebBroker?
Germack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Germack »

I just opened a TFSA account with TD Waterhouse. Can I transfer directly stocks from my non-registered account to my TFSA account?
bbsj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bbsj »

Germack wrote:I just opened a TFSA account with TD Waterhouse. Can I transfer directly stocks from my non-registered account to my TFSA account?

That will cost you $45 in swap fees, and that is not a small amount for TFSA.
Germack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Germack »

Thanks. Wow. What a rip off.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Germack wrote:Thanks. Wow. What a rip off.
Not that it makes it much better, but the $45 swap fee covers any number of stock swaps all done together, it is not per security.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
max88
Contributor
Contributor

Post by max88 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Germack wrote:Thanks. Wow. What a rip off.
Not that it makes it much better, but the $45 swap fee covers any number of stock swaps all done together, it is not per security.
Swapping between TFSA and non-registered account is no longer allowed. You can contribute stock directly (so called in-kind).
I am cautiously optimistic. When it goes up, I claim I have been optimistic; when it goes down, I claim I have been cautious.