Where to park money short-term?

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Webber22
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Where to park money short-term?

Post by Webber22 »

ATL5000 shows a yield of 0% at TDW ??
MIP510 .70%
DYN500 .65%
bwalter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bwalter »

Webber22 wrote:ATL5000 shows a yield of 0% at TDW ??
MIP510 .70%
DYN500 .65%
ATL5000 yeild can be found here: http://www.renaissanceinvestments.ca/en ... s/hisa.asp

When optionable68 posted yesterday it was still showing .70% but now it has indeed been increased to .80%. I'm glad I held off questioning his post, instead I assumed he knew something that I didn't know.
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

bwalter wrote:
Webber22 wrote:ATL5000 shows a yield of 0% at TDW ??
MIP510 .70%
DYN500 .65%
ATL5000 yeild can be found here: http://www.renaissanceinvestments.ca/en ... s/hisa.asp

When optionable68 posted yesterday it was still showing .70% but now it has indeed been increased to .80%. I'm glad I held off questioning his post, instead I assumed he knew something that I didn't know.
I had the inside scoop ;)
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
fundamental
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fundamental »

Looks like the other firms offering HISAs may be coming around to be competitive.

DYN500 just raised rates to 0.75%

But still not as good as Renaissance ATL5000 which was raised to 0.80% as per optionable68's notice above.
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” - Winston Churchill
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

fundamental wrote:Looks like the other firms offering HISAs may be coming around to be competitive.
Good stuff! Manulife's MIP510 has been raised, to 0.80 %, too.
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

RBC and Altamira (National Bank) also raised.... but Renaissance is still #1
bwalter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bwalter »

BTB100 is now paying 0.80% as well.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

For a good return over 4.5 months, do you think PIC.PR.A would be a good safe place to invest? See details in this post:

http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 34#p387134
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 07 Feb 2014 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replace old domain name with www.financialwisdomforum.org to reflect new domain name effective 19-Jan-2014
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

Altamira now paying 0.80% too
drejmd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by drejmd »

If you were "parking" money that you planned to spend on a down-payment for a house, is there any logic in putting it in XRE. Would XRE fluctauate with real-estate prices and in the meantime provide a yield that is much better than any GIC or HISA?
Often wrong, never in doubt.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

CCS HISA 1.2%
BNS Power savings 1.15%
TD HISA 1.1 %

Needed approval above branch level on $250,000 do a definite maybe below
3 mths at BNS 1.65
6 mths at BNS 1.69
9 mths at BNS 1.74
1YR 1.94%
2yr 2.55%

Anyone seen any 1 % deals out there?

Updated more short term interest rates
Last edited by BRIAN5000 on 13 Aug 2010 19:22, edited 3 times in total.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Lazy Ninja
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lazy Ninja »

drejmd wrote:If you were "parking" money that you planned to spend on a down-payment for a house, is there any logic in putting it in XRE. Would XRE fluctauate with real-estate prices and in the meantime provide a yield that is much better than any GIC or HISA?
I would say the short answer is that the correlation is far too weak to make that anything other than a considerably risky strategy. This thread might be worth a look:

http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... ilit=REITs
Reason: replace old domain name with www.financialwisdomforum.org to reflect new domain name effective 19-Jan-2014
drejmd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by drejmd »

Lazy Ninja wrote:
drejmd wrote:If you were "parking" money that you planned to spend on a down-payment for a house, is there any logic in putting it in XRE. Would XRE fluctauate with real-estate prices and in the meantime provide a yield that is much better than any GIC or HISA?
I would say the short answer is that the correlation is far too weak to make that anything other than a considerably risky strategy. This thread might be worth a look:

http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... ilit=REITs
Thanks, good thread. Personally I am going to go with Adrian and Altared on this one. (ie. REITS donot equal HOUSES)
Often wrong, never in doubt.
Park
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Park »

Peoples Trust is offering 2.1% interest on its savings account. I find it a little more laborious than the usual bank accounts, but I feel well compensated for my time.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Dividend stock strategies

Post by SQRT »

Why wouldn't you at least keep your cash in a HIS? You can transfer to your chequing account whenever you need to. At least you would earn 1-2% which is better than nothing?
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I usually pay bills twice a month so I shift enough money from the HISA each time with enough extra for weekly cash withdrawals.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Shakespeare wrote:for weekly cash withdrawals
What do you use cash for on a weekly basis? I think I have the same $100 in my wallet I had a couple months ago. Are you one of those people holding me up in the grocery checkout taking pennies out of change purse? :wink:

ltr
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I eat out daily for lunch and pay cash. I know it's more expensive but, living alone, it's a way to get out of the house.

Steak is usually several times a week. :thumbsup:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

AltaRed wrote:The latter point I agree with completely. But I never keep more cash than I need in my chequing account in any given month, even though my chequing account also pays minimal interest. I simply move cash from my HISA at the end, or beginning, of each month to my chequing account.
We have no HISA and minimal cash in chequing accounts. In our unregistered accounts, dividends are not usually reinvested. We do a monthly transfer to our chequing account to cover expenses. We also have about $50k in a monthly income fund (in unregistered a/c) which we use more or less same as some use HISA. It is more tax efficient than an HISA although susceptible to ups and downs of markets. We have enough other cash flow, so seldom sell units.
rbradshaw
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by rbradshaw »

If I used my RBC direct investing to invest in other banks investment savings accounts (such as dyn500) would the 100k cdic fall under RBC or Dundee?
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

You can't use RBCDI for anything other than RBC HISAs like RBF 2010, 2020, 2030, and 2040. Each would be considered separately for CDIC limits.

High-Interest Savings Accounts - finiki, the Canadian financial Wiki
CDIC communications
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by CDIC communications »

Just to clarify, fund-based Canadian dollar investment savings accounts are CDIC insured, however those from the same corporate entity would be combined for insurance purposes.

Doug Watt
CDIC communications
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Doug, welcome to FWF and thank you very much for the clarification.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

The finiki says: Several issuers offer similar funds from different corporate entities so that each fund has separate CDIC insurance.

Shakespeare's post says: You can't use RBCDI for anything other than RBC HISAs like RBF 2010, 2020, 2030, and 2040. Each would be considered separately for CDIC limits.

Doug Watt from CDIC communications says: Just to clarify, fund-based Canadian dollar investment savings accounts are CDIC insured, however those from the same corporate entity would be combined for insurance purposes.

I wonder if we should add to the finiki to make this clear. I had always wondered about this.

ltr
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

You can't use RBCDI for anything other than RBC HISAs like RBF 2010, 2020, 2030, and 2040. Each would be considered separately for CDIC limits.
Except if RBCDI itself goes belly-up then there is no CDIC insurance.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed