Shopping Bargains

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
Jack's Girl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jack's Girl »

I'll second 123InkCartridges.

I had a Staples coupon and the church printer was out of toner. 123's price was 1/3 that of Staples (and both were knock-offs). They were so cheap, I ended up ordering toner for my home laser too in order to get the free shipping (and their price for my Samsung was 1/2 Staples.) Ordered late on a Thursday night and it was at my mail box by Tuesday morning.
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

I have two 123InkCartridge toner cartridges sitting on the shelf. Has anyone here actually used them?

I was going to stock up during my November sojourn in the US, but found that, all in, 123InkCartidges beat the US online vendors.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

brucecohen wrote:Has anyone here actually used them?
I too was hoping someone here had before I buy one to replace the "starter" cartridge on my new MFP ;) In any case many people on RFD seem to like them.

I've bought from Monoprice and can confirm their cartridges work as well as OEM, however, net after shipping and taxes (no PST for those outside QC) 123inkcartridges.ca seems cheaper and will probably arrive faster since there's no customs border to cross.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Are you all sure that these knockoffs contain just as much ink (last just as long) as OEM?
Jack's Girl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jack's Girl »

brucecohen wrote:I have two 123InkCartridge toner cartridges sitting on the shelf. Has anyone here actually used them?
Yes, but the cartridge was just put in a month ago. It will take 5 - 6 months before I'd expect to run out of toner. I may not remember to update you when it does!
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re:

Post by Taggart »

Taggart wrote:Went to Shoppers Drug Mart this morning. Picked up some rechargeable Duracell batteries on sale today and tomorrow for $6.99 per pack. Seen them more than double that price in other stores. Including my other purchases, the bill came to over $50 (before tax) so the cashier said I was eligible for a $10 Shoppers Drug mart coupon valid until August 2nd, 2009. Details on their on-line flyer. A great way to start this a.m. :D
The rechargeable Duracells (AA & AAA) are on sale again at Shoppers Drug Mart today (Saturday) through until Monday. I was short the AAA's so bought a pack this morning. Price now is up to $7.77. The original price on the rack was still marked as $16.99. I tried to do a price comparison earlier at Wal-mart and maybe I just missed the rack, but couldn't find these Duracell rechargeables there.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Shopping Bargains

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Make sure the Duracell Rechargeables have a white -- not black -- plastic top and are made in Japan, not China.

Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Bylo Selhi wrote:Make sure the Duracell Rechargeables have a white -- not black -- plastic top and are made in Japan, not China.

Aye, they're white topped. Always make sure on that. Funny though that I've never seen the black topped ones, not that I'm looking for them.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Taggart wrote:Funny though that I've never seen the black topped ones, not that I'm looking for them.
The first package I bought at an SDM sale were black top. They sucked (literally as well as figuratively.) So I complained to P&G about how disappointed I was with the all-too-rapid discharge. They promptly mailed me a coupon for a replacement set of batteries. (And no I didn't have to return the black tops. (And yes, this was long before P&G's NAV dive the other day.))
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

Rechargeable batteries are not all alike. Always check the milliamp (mah) hours. Larger is better and there can be a huge difference.
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Dennis wrote:Rechargeable batteries are not all alike.
Correct.
Always check the milliamp (mah) hours. Larger is better and there can be a huge difference.
Wrong.

The black tops are rated 2,650 mAh while the white tops are rated only 2,000 mAh. Which one is "better" depends on how you use them. Black tops are supposed to last longer in high current drain applications like digital cameras and camcorders but they lose their charge rapidly when idle. White tops (using Sanyo's Eneloop technology) are designed with a very low self-discharge rate and are best in lower current drain applications or in situations where you want long shelf life, e.g. in flashlights that are used only occasionally like emergencies.

Despite the higher mAh rating the black tops I originally bought lasted a much shorter time than the white tops that replaced them in the application in which I needed them. YMMV.
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

Supposedly, "conventional" rechargeable batteries can lose up to 1% of their charge daily. I would suggest that if your usage is low enough for the daily charge loss to be a factor then you should buy Kirkland brand, non rechargeable batteries. A waste of money to put rechargeable batteries in a flashlight.
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

To add to Bylo's battery list, I recently got some Energizer "New" NiMH rechargeables. Their colour at the top is GREEN. Made in Japan and rated at 2300 mAh. They seem like hybrid/eneloops in that they're supposed to last longer unused. Use them in a camera and have been quite pleased.

While shopping for them, also considered the RayOVac hybrids, but they had no mAh rating displayed. Looked on line for it and found ambiguous references to about 2000 or 2100.

I also have some non-hybrid RayOVacs, China, 2000 mAh (came with a cheap charger). They've been OK for the money but don't last as long as the Energizers.

(All the above is AA.)
WishingWealth
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by WishingWealth »

IdOp:
I also have some non-hybrid RayOVacs, China, 2000 mAh (came with a cheap charger). They've been OK for the money but don't last as long as the Energizers.
I bought same or similar at WM a couple years ago at a big big discount.
They would have been OK if the discount had been 110%.
Rrrrubbish I say. [At least mine were]

WW
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

Dennis wrote:A waste of money to put rechargeable batteries in a flashlight.
I've been rather a spendthrift with batteries, picking them up at dollar stores on Yonge Street (or, when necessary, on Rua Açores) along with audio tapes. I've tried, time and again, to use rechargeable batteries for my audio tape recorder, with desultory results (on a much battered Sony).

Around Christmas, I bought myself a digital camera (Canon) and a digital tape recorder (once again, a Sony). So far, so good, but after the thrill (and fear) of the purchase wore off I found myself in a quandary (which is a polite word for being gobsmacked). I'd insert rechargeable batteries right from the pack into whatever piece of equipment I was using. And they would falter within an hour. I didn't realize that power just drips away from rechargeable batteries when they are not in use.

Now I keep them in the recharger till I need them. Sorta like laptop batteries, I guess. Sigh.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

parvus wrote:I didn't realize that power just drips away from rechargeable batteries when they are not in use.
Unless you use Eneloops or similar LSD (Low Self Discharge -- not what you thought ;)) batteries. Those batteries lose only ~15% of their charge after 1 year of idleness. OTOH regular NiMH rechargeables can lose as much as 5% per day.
rhenderson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rhenderson »

I have a drawer full of NIMH various types,Panasonic, Energizer, Duracell but I find that the Eneloop holds it charge the longest when just sitting in the camera or a drawer.

Dell usually has them on sale about 6 times a year and there is no charge for shipping, delivered right to your door. :thumbsup:
rhenderson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rhenderson »

Another thing about the NiMH batteries.

Invest in a smart charger and not the cheap ones that come in a package along with 4 batteries at most of the large outlets. Most of these chargers seem to charge for about 24 hours regardless of the state of the battery and probably contribute to premature failure. :?:
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

rhenderson wrote:Most of these chargers seem to charge for about 24 hours regardless of the state of the battery and probably contribute to premature failure.
Unlike a regular charger, a "fast" charger exposes batteries to high current, much of which is dissipated as heat, thus shortening battery life. In any case, most chargers, including the ones included in packs of batteries, have circuitry that switches to a trickle charge once the battery has been fully recharged.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
rhenderson wrote:Most of these chargers seem to charge for about 24 hours regardless of the state of the battery and probably contribute to premature failure.
Unlike a regular charger, a "fast" charger exposes batteries to high current, much of which is dissipated as heat, thus shortening battery life. In any case, most chargers, including the ones included in packs of batteries, have circuitry that switches to a trickle charge once the battery has been fully recharged.
I put my eneloops in a slow Rayovac charger. Used the charger for well over a year now and no problems. Charge the batteries for about 14 hours and they're good for about three weeks in the wireless mouse. Always have spare batteries handy, while I'm charging the others.
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

21 Things You Should Never Buy New
by Wise Bread
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Provided by: US news and world report

If you're looking to get the most value for your dollar, it would do your wallet good to check out secondhand options. Many used goods still have plenty of life left in them even years after the original purchase, and they're usually resold at a fraction of the retail price, to boot. Here's a list of 21 things that make for a better deal when you buy them used.

1. DVDs and CDs: Used DVDs and CDs will play like new if they were well taken care of. Even if you wind up with a scratched disc and you don't want to bother with a return, there are ways to remove the scratches and make the DVD or CD playable again.

2. Books: You can buy used books at significant discounts from online sellers and brick-and-mortar used book stores. The condition of the books may vary, but they usually range from good to like-new. And of course, check out your local library for free reading material.

3. Video Games: Kids get tired of video games rather quickly. You can easily find used video games from online sellers at sites like Amazon and eBay a few months after the release date. Most video game store outlets will feature a used game shelf, as well. And if you're not the patient type, you can rent or borrow from a friend first to see if it's worth the purchase.

4. Special Occasion and Holiday Clothing: Sometimes you'll need to buy formal clothing for special occasions, such as weddings or prom. Most people will take good care of formal clothing but will only wear it once or twice. Their closet castouts are your savings: Thrift stores, yard sales, online sellers and even some dress shops offer fantastic buys on used formalwear.

5. Jewelry: Depreciation hits hard when you try to sell used jewelry, but as a buyer you can take advantage of the markdown to save a bundle. This is especially true for diamonds, which has ridiculously low resale value. Check out estate sales and reputable pawn shops to find great deals on unique pieces. Even if you decide to resell the jewelry later, the depreciation won't hurt as much.

6. Ikea Furniture: Why bother assembling your own when you can pick it up for free (or nearly free) on Craigslist and Freecycle? Summer is the best time to hunt for Ikea furniture--that's when college students are changing apartments and tossing out their goodies.

7. Games and Toys: How long do games and toys remain your child's favorite before they're left forgotten under the bed or in the closet? You can find used children's toys in great condition at moving sales or on Craigslist, or you can ask your neighbors, friends, and family to trade used toys. Just make sure to give them a good wash before letting junior play.

8. Maternity and Baby Clothes: Compared to everyday outfits that you can wear any time, maternity clothes don't get much wear outside the few months of pregnancy when they fit. The same goes for baby clothes that are quickly outgrown. You'll save a small fortune by purchasing gently used maternity clothes and baby clothes at yard sales and thrift stores. Like children's games and toys, friends and family may have baby or maternity clothing that they'll be happy to let you take off their hands.

9. Musical Instruments: Purchasing new musical instruments for a beginner musician is rarely a good idea. (Are you ready to pay $60 an hour for piano lessons?) For your little dear who wants to learn to play an instrument, you should see how long his or her interest lasts by acquiring a rented or used instrument to practice with first. Unless you're a professional musician or your junior prodigy is seriously committed to music, a brand new instrument may not be the best investment.

10. Pets: If you buy a puppy (or kitty) from a professional breeder or a pet store outlet, it can set you back anywhere from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. On top of this, you'll need to anticipate additional fees and vet bills, too. Instead, adopt a pre-owned pet from your local animal shelter and get a new family member, fees, and vaccines at a substantially lower cost.

11. Home Accent: Pieces Home decorating pieces and artwork are rarely handled on a day-to-day basis, so they're generally still in good condition even after being resold multiple times. If you like the worn-out look of some decor pieces, you can be sure you didn't pay extra for something that comes naturally with time. And don't forget, for most of us, discovering a true gem at a garage sale is 90% of the fun!

12. Craft Supplies: If you're into crafting, you probably have a variety of different supplies left over from prior projects. If you require some additional supplies for your upcoming project, then you can join a craft swap where you'll find other crafty people to trade supplies with. If you have leftovers, be sure to donate them to your local schools.

13. Houses: You're typically able to get better and more features for your dollar when you purchase an older home rather than building new. Older houses were often constructed on bigger corner lots, and you also get architectural variety in your neighborhood if the houses were built or remodeled in different eras.

14. Office Furniture: Good office furniture is built to withstand heavy use and handling. Really solid pieces will last a lifetime, long after they're resold the first or second time. A great used desk or file cabinet will work as well as (or better than) a new one, but for a fraction of the cost. With the recession shutting down so many businesses, you can easily find lots of great office furniture deals.

15. Cars: You've probably heard this before: Cars depreciate the second you drive them off of the dealership's lot. In buying a used car, you save money on both the initial cost and the insurance. It also helps to know a trusty mechanic who can check it over first. This way, you'll be aware of any potential problems before you make the purchase.

16. Hand Tools: Simple tools with few moving parts, like hammers, hoes and wrenches, will keep for decades so long as they are well-made to begin with and are well-maintained. These are fairly easy to find at neighborhood yard or garage sales. If you don't need to use hand tools very often, an even better deal is to rent a set of tools or borrow them from a friend.

17. Sports Equipment: Most people buy sports equipment planning to use it until it drops, but this rarely happens. So when sports equipment ends up on the resale market, they tend to still be in excellent condition. Look into buying used sporting gear through Craigslist and at yard sales or sports equipment stores.

18. Consumer Electronics: I know most folks like shiny new toys, but refurbished electronic goods are a much sweeter deal. Consumer electronics are returned to the manufacturer for different reasons, but generally, they'll be inspected for damaged parts, fixed, tested, then resold at a lower price. Just make sure you get a good warranty along with your purchase.

19. Gardening Supplies: This is an easy way for you to save money, and all you need to do is be observant. Take a look outdoors and you'll likely find such gardening supplies as mulch, wood, and even stones for free or vastly reduced prices. Used garden equipment and tools are also common goods at yard sales.

20. Timeshares: Buying timeshares isn't for everyone, but if you decide that it suits your lifestyle, purchasing the property as a resale would be a better deal than buying it brand new: on average, you'll save 67 percent on the price for a comparable new timeshare. If you're new to timeshare ownership, give it a test run first by renting short term.

21. Recreational Items: It's fairly easy to find high ticket recreational items like campers, boats, and jet skis being resold. Oftentimes, they're barely used at all. As long as they're in safe, working condition, they'll make for a better value when purchased used than new.
Live like you are dying but invest like you are immortal.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

We're big Kijiji scanners.....for the odd occasions when we actually buy anything.........picked up a super Olympus digital camera for our vacation', and more recently an all wooden frame futon, with a heavy duty 'leather' mattress cover, in great condition for less than the discount furniture stores sell inferior new models......and no tax.
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
Spiff
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Spiff »

Be careful with the used furniture, at least in Toronto, it may come with a few bed bugs. :cry:
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I have done some buying and selling on ebay. Most of the difficulties on the selling side have been with packing and shipping. I have some items in my locker that I want to get rid of, eg, a bike rack that fits into a small trailer hitch. I am certainly not going to want to pack and ship that :twisted:

I do not know much about Craigs List or Kijiji but I gather they are "local" to each city. Anyone have words of wisdom for these two?
marty123
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by marty123 »

tedster wrote:I do not know much about Craigs List or Kijiji but I gather they are "local" to each city. Anyone have words of wisdom for these two?
I bought a couple of things from craigslist, but the volume of ads and the percentage with photos is extremely low. It's a bit better with kijiji, which I know my wife has used 2-3 times. The best one for traffic and variety here is http://www.usedottawa.com. There's a sister site in your area (http://www.usedmontreal.com), although I can't guarantee it will be as good.

You may have french-language sites that are more popular near you.