Vacuum Cleaners

Non financial topics: autos; computers; entertainment; gatherings; hobbies; sports and travel.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Vacuum Cleaners

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

This topic has been discussed at the edges, but AFAIK, there is no dedicated topic for it.

We've got a builder installed central vacuum and an ancient Hoover Futura 1 canister vacuum. We've also got a dog, a Belgian Sheepdog, who sheds big time. The existing vacuums do an OK job. However, I've seen advertisements for Dyson vacuums and have started to consider the purchase of a DC23 model. Our house has a mixture of broadloom, area rugs, hardware and limestone floors. Consumer Reports gives the Dyson DC23 an average overall rating, with Carpet/Pet Hair/Bare Floors scoring Good/Very Good/Excellent respectively. Given the upper end price tag, I would be interested in any experiences/recommendations for a Dyson vacuum.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Clock Watcher
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Vacuum Cleaners

Post by Clock Watcher »

Is there anything one should look for in a central vacuum system? Mine produced a funny smell (but not a burning smell), and there's black dust on the wall where the clean air exhausts. The repair person took it to the shop, and said that the motor has burned out, so it's replacement time.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

My take is it is not necessary to spend extra $$ for name brand systems, e.g. Beam. When I went looking for a central vac system in 2005, I ended up with a DuoVac unit, Signature line, for my villa. What sold me on them was value for the dollar and the design and type of motor unit. If you focus on the motor unit from various brands, and how they are made, you may up with the same conclusion I did. As an added bonus, DuoVac is made in Canada.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Triumph
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Triumph »

Also have a look at Cana-Vac we have had one for 30 years, built like a tank!
"The secrecy of my job prohibits me from knowing what I'm doing"
Dennis
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Dennis »

When I had to replace mine a couple of years ago, Sears brand price was better than any for a similar system.
"Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen.".....Mort Sahl
Clock Watcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Clock Watcher »

Thanks everyone for your replies.

It appears that there are 2 basic types: bagless & bag. With the bagless, the dust drops to the bottom of the canister, and there are filters sitting above that captures any dust that doesn't drop down, and stop them from going into the motor. With the bag one, the bag itself acts as a filter, and then there are filters sitting on top that captures what the bag doesn't filter.

I am wondering anyone has looked into which is better? I am considering the CycloVac models.
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by twa2w »

I have a vacuflow - I bought it used and installed it myself about 12 years ago. Built like a tank and I run everything through it - like lots of drywall dust from my basement development, sawdust from the workshop, dog and cat hair etc.
It is the bagless. There is no changeable filter that I know of. It was a cone above the collection site and a mesh filter like thing above that but it is metal and fixed in place.

The bagless is a bit of a pain to empty. Its easy unhook/hook up to the motor but you have to be very careful of the dust and it is awkward to empty into a garbage back without having dust fly. Thankfully it is in my garage and I empty when the cars are not in the garage.

My guess is one with a bag tends to lose suction power as the bag gets full. Mine maintains power no matter how full the bag is.
Newhomeowner09
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Newhomeowner09 »

I have not had much experience with vacuums that are installed in the house, however, I would think that they would be very convenient. However, I would worry about their power the further you get away from the suction source. Anyways, I have a DYSON and I love it. I have 3 dogs and 3 kids, and it works on all floors very well. Like you, I had read the reviews and some people weren't happy, but I have to wonder about their vacuum technique. You can't expect it to work properly if you don't understand how it works. The nice part is that it is easy to maneuver and carry up and down stairs.
Can anyone recommend any Los Angeles plumbers?