Deposit Rates: ING etc. (2009)

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
thegov
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Deposit Rates: ING etc. (2009)

Post by thegov »

Canadian Tire High Interest is back up to 1.35%.
(Interesting as all the 1 & 2 year GIC rates seem to be dropping)
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

$US Manulife Bank Investment Savings Account down to 0.20 % from 0.30 %.
Subby
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Subby »

thegov wrote:Canadian Tire High Interest is back up to 1.35%.
(Interesting as all the 1 & 2 year GIC rates seem to be dropping)
Perhaps their feeling a bit of competition from the newcomer Ally.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

This is possibly due to INGDirect recently raising their rate to 1.20% from 1.05% the same as CTFS before their increase now to 1.35%. Possibly CTFS and ING see each other as the main competition rather than Ally.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

CROCKD wrote:
This is possibly due to INGDirect recently raising their rate to 1.20% from 1.05% the same as CTFS before their increase now to 1.35%. Possibly CTFS and ING see each other as the main competition rather than Ally.
Or perhaps they are BOTH losing customers to Ally....
Regards,
Pickles
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

How does raising interest rates to 1.2% or 1.35% staunch the loss of customers to Ally (who currently pays 2%, some 50% more?)
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

Well I wonder if Ally will just wait this whole thing out until one day all the other savings accounts catch up to them, before they raise rates again.

In any case I still have open accts with HSBC, ING, Canadian Direct Financial and Ally. Most of my cash is in Ally, with a small amt in HSBC to allow me to use the Exchange Network ATMs. If any one overtakes the others, I'll just shift my money around.
snowback96
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by snowback96 »

queerasmoi wrote:Well I wonder if Ally will just wait this whole thing out until one day all the other savings accounts catch up to them, before they raise rates again.

In any case I still have open accts with HSBC, ING, Canadian Direct Financial and Ally. Most of my cash is in Ally, with a small amt in HSBC to allow me to use the Exchange Network ATMs. If any one overtakes the others, I'll just shift my money around.
Canadian Direct Financial allows you to access Exchange Network ATMs. They also recently launched a chequing account.
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

snowback96 wrote: Canadian Direct Financial allows you to access Exchange Network ATMs. They also recently launched a chequing account.
Yes but CDF only allows it once a month, then $1/transaction after. The chequing account is full of fees unless you put $5000 in. Whereas my HSBC savings account is fully fee-free and I just float a balance of a few hundred to give me free withdrawals at Exchange (and BMO!) ATMs.
snowback96
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by snowback96 »

queerasmoi wrote:Yes but CDF only allows it once a month, then $1/transaction after. The chequing account is full of fees unless you put $5000 in. Whereas my HSBC savings account is fully fee-free and I just float a balance of a few hundred to give me free withdrawals at Exchange (and BMO!) ATMs.
If you leave $1k in your CDF chequing account, you get 15 free transactions/month. You can also buy a $5k GIC to get unlimited withdrawals.
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

snowback96 wrote: If you leave $1k in your CDF chequing account, you get 15 free transactions/month. You can also buy a $5k GIC to get unlimited withdrawals.
Fair enough! But still, CDF will incur a $2/month fee on that balance unless you keep it up at $5k, and not earning interest.

Don't get me wrong, CDF is lovely, but if my aim is to have an account that gives me simple access to the Exchange network, CDF is not an elegant solution. HSBC lets me do it with no minimum balance and no fees. I withdraw on Exchange ATMs 1-5 times per month. The few hundred I keep in there still earns me interest, although not that much. The rest of my spare cash sits in Ally, with the same 2% rate as CDF's savings account but with more convenient access - I was able to link Ally to TD, HSBC and CDF seamlessly without mailing or faxing a single piece of paper.

And with all that I still do my primary banking at TD for easy access to e-series funds.
investnoob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by investnoob »

queerasmoi wrote:I was able to link Ally to TD, HSBC and CDF seamlessly without mailing or faxing a single piece of paper.

And with all that I still do my primary banking at TD for easy access to e-series funds.
Hi queerasmoi, how did you link your Ally account to TD? Without paper work that is? Do you do this from the TD account side, or the Ally side?

Thanks.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

investnoob wrote:how did you link your Ally account to TD? Without paper work that is? Do you do this from the TD account side, or the Ally side?
I imagine he did it online using Ally's "Add external account" page and "Online test deposits" verification procedure. No voided cheques required. At least that's how I would do it (and how I did do it when I did it) ;)
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
investnoob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by investnoob »

Thanks Bylo. I don't have an Ally account, so I was curious how that works.

Is it a one way street? Can you only deposit funds to the TD Account, or can you transfer from the TD account as well?

The reason I ask is because I have a TD savings account which bears ridiculously low interest and I'm interested in putting my savings elsewhere.

Thanks.
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

investnoob wrote:Is it a one way street? Can you only deposit funds to the TD Account, or can you transfer from the TD account as well?

The reason I ask is because I have a TD savings account which bears ridiculously low interest and I'm interested in putting my savings elsewhere.

Thanks.
The Ally link is with my TD line of credit actually but I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to do it with a savings account. It worked with my HSBC savings account and my CDF savings account, of which neither comes with cheques. And in all cases I've been able to push and pull funds both directions.

When you first open the Ally acct you do need to include one signed cheque from any cheque-bearing account as your initial deposit.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Will this work in either direction from Ally to TDW brokerage account?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
investnoob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by investnoob »

queerasmoi wrote:The Ally link is with my TD line of credit actually but I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to do it with a savings account. It worked with my HSBC savings account and my CDF savings account, of which neither comes with cheques. And in all cases I've been able to push and pull funds both directions.

When you first open the Ally acct you do need to include one signed cheque from any cheque-bearing account as your initial deposit.
Thanks! I just opened an account online. I now just have to give them a call and send in a deposit by cheque. Thanks again.
Clock Watcher
Contributor
Contributor

Transferring money out of Ally

Post by Clock Watcher »

Has anyone been able to transfer money out of their Ally savings account back into their chequing account? There were posts earlier that computer glitches were making this difficult.
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 07 Feb 2014 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replace old domain name with www.financialwisdomforum.org to reflect new domain name effective 19-Jan-2014