Miscellaneous Quicken Questions

Banking and Saving strategies, maximizing interest rates, budgeting, GICs, HISAs.
marcharry
Contributor
Contributor

Does Quicken download TDW transactions?

Post by marcharry »

My 2002 quicken is no longer supported. I was going to upgrade to 2006 (XG - is for Canada?) so that I can try to download the transactions.

Is it able to download the TDW brokerage transactions? I have no interest in the credit card or banking stuff - I use the software just for keeping track of the transactions - especially non-registered taxable accounts.

In the past I have entered the buys, sells, dividends etc manually.

I know there are a number of quicken experts among us.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Does Quicken download TDW transactions?

Post by Bylo Selhi »

marcharry wrote:My 2002 quicken is no longer supported.
Sez who? It works fine with TD EasyWeb and there's nothing on their site that says it is or will be unsupported. (Q02's days are numbered. The US version is now unsupported in the US.)
2006 (XG - is for Canada?)
Yes.
Is it able to download the TDW brokerage transactions?
AFAIK, no. (That feature has been available in the US version for years, i.e. to download transaction from TD WH US.)
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
marcharry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marcharry »

Thx Bylo

You are correct; I got an email from US Intuit.

Too bad that it does not download the brokerage transactions - that would be the big online win for me.
kenj
Contributor
Contributor

More Problems with Quicken

Post by kenj »

In addition to the Quicken stock quote problem that everyone is experiencing I seem to have an additional problem that I can't quite figure out.

I'm using Quicken XG and when I open my portfolio all dollar figures are shown correctly with two decimal places such as Price, Cost Basis, Market Value, Realized Gain, etc. However, any column with a percentage such as ROI, % Gain, % Invested, etc., the two decimal places are not there. What should read as 68.34 reads only 68.

How do I get the percentages in my portfolio to display two decimal places?

Strangely enough my Quicken XG portfolio used to display all percentages with two decimal places but my computer crashed a week ago and I had to reinstall Windows XP, reinstall my Quicken software and import my backed up Quicken files. Since then I simply cannot get the percentages to display correctly.

Within Quicken I've already clicked on "Edit", "Preferences", "Reports and Graphs" and changed the "Decimal Places for Prices and Shares" to 3 but that doesn't have any effect, of course, on the percentages display.

I've also clicked on "Start", "Control Panel", "Regional and Language Options", "Customize", and then the "Numbers" tab" and changed "No. of digits after decimal" to 2 but the percentages in the portfolio still look like XX. and not XX.XX.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Help is appreciated.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

I sympathize with you. I can't help, but longer term, we all might be needing to ask each other which service we use to create / download portfolios and then which software to play with the downloads.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Don't know either but you might post the question on the Intuit Quicken forum.

As noted in the other thread, Quicken seems to be having trouble with the 'quote server' source data for price updates, i.e. it is not necessarily their problem, but their provider's problem, i.e. Yahoo, or equivalent.

FWIW, when I did my usual Saturday morning price update, I noticed I did not get any price update data for US domiciled stocks yet (June 29 only). All other price update data looks fine.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

If Yahoo is the Quicken provider, I can tell you that it has been baked for about a week now.
JohnMorgan
Contributor
Contributor

Miscellaneous Quicken Questions

Post by JohnMorgan »

Anyone remember TIPS35? How do you enter/categorize (in Quicken) the change from TIPS35 to XIU? Canadian Shareowners transferred out/transferred in (but the share number wasn't the same), but how does that affect ACB, rate of return etc. Any suggestions?
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: A quick Quicken question

Post by Bylo Selhi »

JohnMorgan wrote:Anyone remember TIPS35? How do you enter/categorize (in Quicken) the change from TIPS35 to XIU?
I remember TIPS35 (and HIPS) but I can't remember how I handled the transition to XIU in Quicken. That said, here's what I'd do if I had it to do again.

1. Record your ACB for TIPS.
2. In Quicken, do a ShrsOut of all TIPS shares.
3. Now do a ShrsIn of XIU using the ACB from 1.
JohnMorgan
Contributor
Contributor

TIPS35/XIU/QUICKEN

Post by JohnMorgan »

Thank you for quick reply.Am now at home and looking at this. In the drop down menu for transaction entry, 'Add' and 'Remove' seem to be the closest options to Shrsout/in. However in Remove there is nowhere to enter $ amounts, just number of shares; whereas in Add, there is 'price paid per share'. Also they didn't give a price for either of the securities at the time of swap. I'm not clear how all this washes for ACB of XIU in the long run. Quicken help, of course, doesn't. Is this time for near enough being good enough???
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: TIPS35/XIU/QUICKEN

Post by Bylo Selhi »

JohnMorgan wrote:In the drop down menu for transaction entry, 'Add' and 'Remove' seem to be the closest options to Shrsout/in.
Yeah. I used Quicken 2002 terminology. I see that they've changed it to Add and Remove in more recent versions.
However in Remove there is nowhere to enter $ amounts, just number of shares; whereas in Add, there is 'price paid per share'.
In Quicken 2007 (at least) Remove asks for both number of shares and share price. Use ACB divided by the number of shares to get the latter. Then similarly when you do the Add, use ACB divided by the number of new shares to get the "book" share price. You want to make sure that the transactions both occur at the ACB value, not market value. The next time you update stock prices Quicken will find the current NAV and compute the current market value of your position.
I'm not clear how all this washes for ACB of XIU in the long run.
As long as the ACB on your XIU holding is the same as the ACB on your TIPS35 holding, regardless of the number of shares of either, the taxman should be happy.
JohnMorgan
Contributor
Contributor

TIPS35/XIU/QUICKEN

Post by JohnMorgan »

Thank you. It all looks pretty reasonable now.
JohnMorgan
Contributor
Contributor

Foreign non-resident tax deducted at source // Quicken XG 20

Post by JohnMorgan »

Whats the best way of keeping track of this?
Not necessarily precise tax treatment but even keeping track for each security.
Thank you.
nile
Contributor
Contributor

how do i enter cap gains distribution for XDV on quicken?

Post by nile »

how do i add the distributon to affect my ACB without affecting all the other parameters on quicken 2007

thanks all

nile
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: how do i enter cap gains distribution for XDV on quicken

Post by Bylo Selhi »

nile wrote:how do i add the distributon to affect my ACB without affecting all the other parameters on quicken 2007
See a previous thread starting at about here.

("RtnCapX" is what Q02 calls it. Q07 calls it "RtrnCapX." Same difference.)
nile
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nile »

thanks

that was simple!!

nile
infopls
Contributor
Contributor

Tracking in Quicken

Post by infopls »

I know that many here use Quicken to track their investments and I need some advice about starting..
I have been tracking my investments using Globe..mutual funds since 1998 and stocks since 2000 but have been hestitate to start tracking in Quicken...overwhelmed by the task of imputing all figures!
So..can I start now...say by using Dec. 31, 2007 as the start date???
IF..I use that date..what figures should I use to get the most accurate results in the future? Hope this question makes sense...
Any tips greatly appreciated.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Depends on what you want to accomplish.

If you're just maintaining records for tax purposes then all you'd need to "import" into Quicken would be, for each security, the number of shares and the ACB. (If it's a US security you'll also need to calculate the blended FX rate for all purchases and sales of that security.)

If you want to calculate things like IRR and/or produce nice-looking historical charts, etc. then you'll need to "import" all the transactions. That could be impractical if you have a lot of history.

Have you investigated if Globefund has any export features, either in CSV or QIF formats? If so that would make it very easy to import all the historical data into Quicken.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

Another possibility is to cut and paste your Globefund transactions into a spreadsheet. Then convert them into a format accepted by Quicken.
infopls
Contributor
Contributor

Tracking in Quicken

Post by infopls »

Thanks Bylo for your suggestions..
I decided to take a chance and have just downloaded my accounts from TDW...will work with the results and may be back for more advice once I have worked with the figures.
Dennis..I hate to admit it BUT.. spreadsheets 'terrify' me even more than Quicken! Perhaps a project for my spare time, eh!
Thanks..
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Real-return bond fund in Quicken

Post by queerasmoi »

I'm aware that XRB has an odd tax treatment: The inflation appreciation of this real-return bond fund is reflected in its NAV and investors are taxed on it as reinvested interest; meanwhile the actual interest component is paid out.

I was thinking about how to enter this properly in Quicken, which I believe has no proper "interest reinvested but not in extra shares" option. Suppose I get $110 in reinvested interest and $130 in cash interest. Then I could enter:

1) An interest dividend of $240: tax treatment is now correct but at this point, my Quicken cash balance will be $110 too high and my ACB will be $110 too low.
2) A *negative* Return Of Capital of $110. This will reduce my cash by $110 and add the same number to ACB. Net result is now correct.

Hope this is useful :) Let me know if you can think of a briefer way.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Another way is to treat it as a reinvested distribution followed by a consolidation. This sort of thing came up on various threads, here are two:

ISTR another thread, but can't find it. ):
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

Okay, thank you, that is intriguing :)

I like the negative ROC idea a bit better just because it avoids twiddling the share balance. Of course it would be awesome if Quicken would just stop "doin it rong".
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

I think this was the other thread. Hop into it at this post.
svt
Contributor
Contributor

Quicken online

Post by svt »

Anyone using quicken online? Apparently the online version is free now. I have some (major) qualms about keeping my data secure. Thoughts on security?