Useful tips for using the forum software

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

Yabbut, that defeats the purpose of trying to retrieve the image in its originally posted url so that its absence from some (more or less minor) discussions goes not only unnoticed, but becomes unreproachably unretrievable (or irreproachably irretrievable). :wink:
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Links expire. It's a fact of web life. :wink:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by parvus »

Yes, these things happen. Could you use your influence with the management to allow some of us to go into past posts after the 48-hour expiry period, just to fix the links? (Of course, fixing past links is not likely to lead to noticeable karma but reposting might; hmm, there must be some economic rationale in all of this). :wink:
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I have two questions on the use of the forum.

The first is the application of the Quote code. If I start a repply or post and the decide to insert a quote above/before what I have already written, despite the fact that the cursor is in the correct location, the quote code shows up at the end of the text. Am I doing this correctly. (I realize I can start over.)

My second query is that I never seem to be able to get a proper search. I will use a word or a phrase and all sorts of threads show up, which to me, seem not to be relevant. What am I doing wrong? Ted
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

tedster wrote:I have two questions on the use of the forum.

The first is the application of the Quote code. If I start a repply or post and the decide to insert a quote above/before what I have already written, despite the fact that the cursor is in the correct location, the quote code shows up at the end of the text. Am I doing this correctly. (I realize I can start over.)
The software won't do it automatically. But you can still do it manually by typing in the [**] at the start, then cut and paste in the material you want and then finishing by typing in the [/**] to finish the quote. You can do this with the url one as well.
My second query is that I never seem to be able to get a proper search. I will use a word or a phrase and all sorts of threads show up, which to me, seem not to be relevant. What am I doing wrong? Ted
The key is to clich on 'Search' above, then type in 1-2 key words, and then in 'Search previous' section, click only on 'search message title only'. Clicking on either of the 2 first radio buttons gets way too many hits.
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by parvus »

If you want to quote a specific person, try
person wrote:
I'll use my name instead of person (and insert a couple of spaces before and after person, so it doesn't muck up) and then close the quote.

Thus:
parvus wrote:If you want to quote a specific person, try [ quote="person" ]
If I hadn't put those spaces in, I'd have this:
parvus wrote:If you want to quote a specific person, try
person wrote:
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Thanks to you both. The search tip worked fine for me, but the manual quote did not. I tried it twice in the Test thread. I must be doing something wrong.. :oops: :cry:
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

tedster wrote:Thanks to you both. The search tip worked fine for me, but the manual quote did not. I tried it twice in the Test thread. I must be doing something wrong.. :oops: :cry:
See my response to your test in the Test Posts thread
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Ted, by default, the quote button will put the [quote] at the end of the reply.

What stops you from cutting and pasting to move that above your reply?

Or moving the cursor to the beginning of the reply, typing [quote] yourself, then "Blah blah blah blah blah", and then [/quote] to finish it?
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Useful tips for using the forum software

Post by like_to_retire »

Can anyone tell me what these two icons mean (in the jpg attached).

One with a folder on it.

The other with a black dot on it.

ltr
Attachments
icons.jpg
icons.jpg (5.83 KiB) Viewed 3519 times
The Management
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Management »

The first one means that there are subforums underneath.

The second one means you have posted to that particular topic before. (In prosilver, a red star replaces the black dot.)
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by parvus »

The Management wrote: (In prosilver, a red star replaces the black dot.)
Bleeding anarchists!

asdfvcx
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asdfvcx »

I'm having a problem with the "View unread posts" link from the main page.

My normal way of reading was to look at all of the threads that have unread posts, pick and read what I want, and then move on. If I wait a while, say 12 hours, and again click on the "View unread posts" link, I'll then only see threads that have new posts in the past 12 hours.

It doesn't seem to be working the same right now. Now if I click on "View unread posts", I'm seeing 3 pages of threads including threads that haven't had a new post since Wednesday. (And I have visited a number of times since Wednesday).

Is there something I need to do to mark the posts as read? Or am I doing everything right and there is something not working with the "View unread posts" link? Thanks.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

asdfvcx wrote:Is there something I need to do to mark the posts as read?
You can go to Board index and click Mark forums read. Or you can try the View new posts link.

Also see: http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 95#p361095
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 07 Feb 2014 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replace old domain name with www.financialwisdomforum.org to reflect new domain name effective 19-Jan-2014
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

Thought I would cross post this idea from the thread about the number of forums in the structured FWF:

If you don't like drilling down into the forums and sub-forums to read posts, simply click on "view unread posts" from the Board index page. This will give you a page with a direct link to every thread that has new posts since you last checked.

Some people indicated that they didn't want to have the non-financial posts showing on this page, so the Management has created a way to hide the non-financial threads and limit the posts displayed to the threads in the "Your Money" categories. Here it is:
The Management wrote:Per three requests above, there would seem to be an interest among some members in restricting the view of the forum while logged in. After consulting via PM, we have established two new usergroups. Any member may join at any time, in which case a forum or forums will be omitted from what they see while logged in and searches will avoid the forum(s). The "View unread posts" link, much discussed above, is considered a search.

The new groups are:
  • Finance Only: All of the forums in the ...And Your Life category will vanish.
  • No Watercooler: The Watercooler, i.e. mostly contentious political discussion, vanishes.
Resigning from the usergroup will restore the original view.

Joining and resigning a usergroup are done by opening your user control panel and clicking on the Usergroups tab.
Regards,
Pickles
bwalter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bwalter »

Pickles wrote:Thought I would cross post this idea from the thread about the number of forums in the structured FWF:

If you don't like drilling down into the forums and sub-forums to read posts, simply click on "view unread posts" from the Board index page. This will give you a page with a direct link to every thread that has new posts since you last checked.

Some people indicated that they didn't want to have the non-financial posts showing on this page, so the Management has created a way to hide the non-financial threads and limit the posts displayed to the threads in the "Your Money" categories. Here it is:
The Management wrote:Per three requests above, there would seem to be an interest among some members in restricting the view of the forum while logged in. After consulting via PM, we have established two new usergroups. Any member may join at any time, in which case a forum or forums will be omitted from what they see while logged in and searches will avoid the forum(s). The "View unread posts" link, much discussed above, is considered a search.

The new groups are:
  • Finance Only: All of the forums in the ...And Your Life category will vanish.
  • No Watercooler: The Watercooler, i.e. mostly contentious political discussion, vanishes.
Resigning from the usergroup will restore the original view.

Joining and resigning a usergroup are done by opening your user control panel and clicking on the Usergroups tab.
Alternately, this url: http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... d%5B%5D=22 will find all the unread posts in the "Your Money..." section and it's children. It is useful if you aren't particularly interested in the other parts of the forum but don't want to hide them entirely.
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 07 Feb 2014 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replace old domain name with www.financialwisdomforum.org to reflect new domain name effective 19-Jan-2014
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Is it possible to include more common terms in the search? I was searching for a thread called something like "What is risk", all the terms were common and quotes don't help. It's hard to find financial things when you can't even search for "financial".

newguy

Add: just found it with google. I started a new one anyway.
Lazy Ninja
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lazy Ninja »

How can one alter the bolded (attribution) portion that precedes a quote as seen here, at the bottom of my post, and in Shakespeare's reply? I botched the attempt to transfer that particular quote from one thread to another. Someone changed that one for me....
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Lazy Ninja was asking a question about something and wrote:How can one alter the bolded (attribution) portion that precedes a quote as seen here, at the bottom of my post, and in Shakespeare's reply? I botched the attempt to transfer that particular quote from one thread to another. Someone changed that one for me....
Here's how I changed the beginning of the quote
Lazy Ninja was asking a question about something and wrote:
newguy
Lazy Ninja
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lazy Ninja »

newguy was posting something useful for a change, when he wrote:Here's how I changed the beginning of the quote
Thanks; I think I've got it now. (Just kidding about the attribution, I swear... :lol:).
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Lazy Ninja wrote:
newguy was posting something useful for a change, when he wrote:Here's how I changed the beginning of the quote
Thanks; I think I've got it now. (Just kidding about the attribution, I swear... :lol:).
:rofl:
It's good to feel used.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Sometimes this forum software drives me nuts.

I was in the process of writing something for the Tax thread when the page would not stay still - it kept scrolling to the bottom. Going out and coming back did not fix it so eventually I saved draft and closed the window and then returned to the forum. Now I can't find the draft or how to recover a draft. Please help.

UPDATE: JUST FOUND IT UNDER USER CONTROl PANEL
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
The Management
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Management »

From time to time, Administrators, Management, and Moderators need to contact individual members by Private Message about certain matters. What we sometimes find is it is hard to do so because members often have their PM User settings set to OFF and thus they seldom/never see PM notifications. We would prefer that members change certain PM default settings to ON.

To do so, go into the User Control Panel, select Board Preferences tab, and set:

- Administrators can email me information: Yes
- Notify me on new private messages: Yes
- Pop up window on new private message: Yes

Thank you for your consideration.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

This is good advice. However, if one is having difficulty lkogging on in the first place, use of a home email by the Moderator as well is probably better.