Useful tips for using the forum software

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
Katou
Contributor
Contributor

Vioewing last 6 months of postings !

Post by Katou »

Hi

When i click to view a post it shows me the last 7 days of posting.

At bottom of page I click on Display post for last....6 months but it doesn't save this.

Next time i view it is still at last 7 days !1

Is there a way to change this to last 6 months without having to change it each time

Thks
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Vioewing last 6 months of postings !

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

It is part of your settings in User Control Panel, specifically display options.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Katou
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Vioewing last 6 months of postings !

Post by Katou »

Thank you ,,,i changed and it works....

Best
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

No Watercooler

Post by CROCKD »

After being progressively unhappy (and at times disgusted) with the way the Forum's non financial topics have developed over the past several months and have at times viewed items without logging in, I have decided to join the Group ''No Watercooler", rather than walk away which seems to have been the approach of some long time members. This despite the fact that one of my most prolific contributions has been to the 'Music' thread.
My prime reason for joining was and still is to become educated about financial matters and upon occasion contributing.
As I will no longer see the WC, I hope that when and if another 'Beer in Tronna' is organised, one of my fellow members with whom I am personally acquainted will PM me.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: No Watercooler

CROCKD wrote:As I will no longer see the WC, I hope that when and if another 'Beer in Tronna' is organised, one of my fellow members with whom I am personally acquainted will PM me.
I would suggest that "Beer in [location]" topics are well within the scope of the DIYers at Home and Abroad forum, so perhaps that's a better place to announce and organize the events.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Useful tips for using the forum software

Post by like_to_retire »

CROCKD wrote:As I will no longer see the WC, I hope that when and if another 'Beer in Tronna' is organized, one of my fellow members with whom I am personally acquainted will PM me.
Why not simply allow WaterCooler and just read the topics that don't drive you nuts - like Music and Beer?

ltr
Jo Anne
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jo Anne »

There are a lot of topics in the "Financial Planning" forum that I'm not interested in. I just skip over them.

But I like Watercooler, for the most part. It makes me re-evaluate my biases.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

like_to_retire wrote:
CROCKD wrote:As I will no longer see the WC, I hope that when and if another 'Beer in Tronna' is organized, one of my fellow members with whom I am personally acquainted will PM me.
Why not simply allow WaterCooler and just read the topics that don't drive you nuts - like Music and Beer?

ltr
That is what I do. I resist the temptation to look at any Watercooler threads that are likely to raise my pulse rate. I have been doing this since Bylo left and it seems to be working just fine. Yes I lack the context for the feelings that spill over to other threads, but then that context is what was raising the BP.

(And if I eliminated WC, I would miss tedster!)
For the fun of it...Keith
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

How does one selectively quote from previous posts, based on a "Testing" discussion with PhilD. Unfortunately this isn't covered in the forum software Frequently Asked Questions.

Here is how I do it, at least on a non-smartphone device. Click the "Post Reply" button.

Underneath the posting text box, you should see a section labeled "TOPIC REVIEW: .... " that contains the previous posts. You can scroll through it and select some text to quote from another post, then click on the Quote button in the upper right corner of that specific post. It will add the selected text as a quote to your reply.
Quoting for PhilD.JPG
Phil D wrote: 16 Feb 2018 10:35 I feel foolish already, but what is the simpler way ?
You can repeat the process multiple times if you want to selectively quote multiple posts or parts of posts.

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

From another topic,
scomac wrote: 12 Dec 2018 13:29 This is the time that a vomiting emoji would come in handy... :roll:
As you requested, 🤮. It can be made bigger for effect🤮.

Emojis are different than the forum Smilies. More information can be found in Quick start guide for v3.2.

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Via PM I was asked
A FWF member wrote:I get a notification every time someone posts in the <topic name> topic even though I haven't posted in that topic for years. How can I stop that? I saw no control.
At the bottom, beside the Post Reply button, there should be another button with a icon (the tooltip says 'Topic tools'). Click on it and you should see some options:
  • Subscribe topic
  • Bookmark topic
  • Email topic
The notification means you've either Subscribed to the topic or Bookmarked it. The notification should you receive should indicate whether it was from a subscribed topic or a bookmarked topic. Click on the option should turn it off.

Another approach, via your User Control Panel, you can Manage subscriptions and Manage bookmarks. Check these to find out if the topic is on one of those lists. If it is, mark it then scroll to the bottom of the list and click the Remove marked ... button.

Phil D
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Phil D »

I'm sure that I should be able to find the answer for this but I have looked in vain.

How do I search the forum for a phrase, such as ' real return bonds ' ? I have tried search and advanced search, quotation marks, + signs, and other things but all to no avail. Whatever I do, the search results include posts with some or all of the words but do not restrict themselves to the complete phrase.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Phil D wrote: 04 Apr 2020 09:40 I'm sure that I should be able to find the answer for this but I have looked in vain.

How do I search the forum for a phrase, such as ' real return bonds ' ? I have tried search and advanced search, quotation marks, + signs, and other things but all to no avail. Whatever I do, the search results include posts with some or all of the words but do not restrict themselves to the complete phrase.
Use Google. Enter this in the search box.

site:financialwisdomforum.org "real return bonds"
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

The search engine built into the forum software leaves much to be desired. There are some good things you can do with it, such as searching only topic titles for words (check out the various options in search.php).

Unfortunately built into the search engine is a common words filter, which doesn't help a financial forum where financial terms are commonly used.
Phil D wrote: 04 Apr 2020 09:40 How do I search the forum for a phrase, such as ' real return bonds ' ? I have tried search and advanced search, quotation marks, + signs, and other things but all to no avail. Whatever I do, the search results include posts with some or all of the words but do not restrict themselves to the complete phrase.
I tried my best to figure out something, using wildcards in place of common words. No go. I think the fallback offered here is the best solution
ig17 wrote: 04 Apr 2020 10:30 Use Google. Enter this in the search box.

Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

ig17 wrote: 04 Apr 2020 10:30
Use Google. Enter this in the search box.

Works with DuckDuckGo too (and without Google tracking)
Phil D
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Phil D »

Thanks folks !
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Useful tips for using the forum software - Friends and foes

Quoting from another topic
GreatLaker wrote: 10 Apr 2020 11:08
Shakespeare wrote: 09 Apr 2020 21:44 Just put him on Ignore.
How do you do that? The closest thing I can find is clicking on their profile then "Add foe", but I don't want foes, just blissful ignorance.
'Add foe' is the correct method to put another member on your "ignore list". Click on the member's name and under the member's profile information, specifically the Location field, you'll see two items
  • Add friend
  • Add foe
See FAQ Friends and Foes for more information.

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

From another topic,
CROCKD wrote: 07 Nov 2020 11:20
AltaRed wrote:Perhaps take your debate elsewhere? I think many of us are not fond of having to skip these posts to get back to a discussion on Mawer.
:thumbsup:
It seems to me that the Moderator should have shifted these two out of the Mawer thread to somewhere else.
Hint, maybe that might happen if someone uses the "Report this post" button to draw the moderators/admins attention to the concern. Moderators and admins are volunteers and don't necessarily read each and every post.

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Insomniac wrote: 31 Jul 2015 18:19
gsp_ wrote:How do members embed YouTube videos in their replies? I see the youtube button when composing a post but simply pasting the YouTube link or the embed link does not seem to work.

Tried to search this forum but to no avail.

Thanks.
You just need the YouTube ID for the video. I just copy and paste. E.g.

Video URL is ""

The characters after the v= (tkAQLLbJbDw in this case) is the ID you want. Copy this ID, hit the youtube button above and paste the ID between the tags
Keen eyed observers might have noticed a change to how YouTube videos are displayed.

We've made a fix to address a web standards issue (RIP Shockwave Flash) and made the video display properly responsive, i.e. scale to the width of your screen on desktops/tablets and smartphones.

As always, should you encounter any problems or issues, please don't hesitate to report them in When something breaks (2020).

OnlyMyOpinion
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by OnlyMyOpinion »

Thanks always for the 'behind the scenes' work & improvements, and for keeping us informed of changes.

I see it says max attachment file size is 1 MiB. I'd never seen that prefix before. Looking it up, I read that "a mebibyte (MiB) is a unit of measurement used in computer data storage. The prefix mebi comes from the binary system of data measurement that is based on powers of two. A mebibyte equals 220 or 1,048,576 bytes".

So to my hard wired brain, keep them under 1Mb in size.

I read elsewhere about the change in embedded video/youtube links. I assume there is no way to frame the video to a smaller size? Vids certainly are 'full up and in your face' now. :ugeek:
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Lists, alternative bullet types

For those that like lists, some alternative bullet types:

Code: Select all

[list=circle][*]One
[*]Two
[*]Three[/list]
Results in:
  • One
  • Two
  • Three
Or

[list=square][*]One
[*]Two
[*]Three[/list]
Results in:
  • One
  • Two
  • Three
Or

[list=none][*]One
[*]Two
[*]Three[/list]
Results in:
  • One
  • Two
  • Three
Or

[list=decimal][*]One
[*]Two[list=lower-roman][*]One
[*]Two
[*]Three[/list]
[*]Three[/list]
Results in:
  1. One
  2. Two
    1. One
    2. Two
    3. Three
  3. Three
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 23 Dec 2020 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  

Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Now show us the code. :geek:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Shakespeare wrote: 23 Dec 2020 15:21 Now show us the code. :geek:
Added above.

longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

Thanks for the tip.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Lists, alternative bullet types

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 23 Dec 2020 15:18 For those that like lists, some alternative bullet types:
Or DIY:
▸ one
▹ two
▪ three
⋄ four
▫ five
◘ six

[Any way to indent?]
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.