Daylight saving time

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
eezee
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Daylight saving time

Post by eezee »

When GWB's revised DST kicks in 2007 what will happen to the systems which now automatically change the clock ?

Is this current change part of the OS, or part of a clock chip ?

If it is the OS, will there be an upgrade/patch to accomodate the change ?
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

what will happen to the systems which now automatically change the clock ?
Depends on the system.

Your VCR you will have to change manually - four times, if it has automatic adjustment, since you will have to reverse the built-in changes [unless you can reprogram the firmware, undesireable for most]. But then VCRs might all be in the top of closets by 2007.

Any computer should be software upgradeable.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

It's not just Microsoft we'll have to worry about. More daylight-saving time means problems for developers

Maybe Ottawa will offer accelerated depreciation for new PCs as they did prior to Y2k. I'll need to replace my notebook in the next year or two :lol:
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Shakespeare wrote:Your VCR you will have to change manually - four times, if it has automatic adjustment, since you will have to reverse the built-in changes [unless you can reprogram the firmware, undesireable for most]. But then VCRs might all be in the top of closets by 2007.
Newer VCRs, even the cheapest ones, now adjust their clocks automatically from sub-band signals sent by TV stations. But, as you say, that won't be the reason why flashing "12:00" will be history by 2007.

Added: See e.g. http://www.whyy.org/tv12/faq.html#time1
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Newer VCRs
That explains it; mine dates from 1991. :shock:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

There are rumblings that some states won't comply, just as some don't comply now. Enough to tear out the hair of many dispatchers and schedulers. It's all a bit stupid actually.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Reminder to posters (except those in SK) to change the time in their profile by plus one hour. Go to your profile, scroll down to "time", and add one to the value displayed.

For us Albertans, it's from GMT-6 to GMT-7.
dakota
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by dakota »

Shakespeare wrote:Reminder to posters (except those in SK) to change the time in their profile by plus one hour. Go to your profile, scroll down to "time", and add one to the value displayed.

Thanks for the reminder, now how do I change it from pm to am? :?
A fool and his money are lucky to get togethere in the first place
millergd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by millergd »

AltaRed wrote:There are rumblings that some states won't comply, just as some don't comply now. Enough to tear out the hair of many dispatchers and schedulers. It's all a bit stupid actually.
When I attended school in Indiana, it was one of the few states that didn't honor Daylight Savings Time. During the summer of 1997, I worked in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on the northeast border near Ohio and Michigan. To adapt to the weird daylight hours, people simply shifted their lifestyles; I was at work by 6AM every day and the sun would be completely set around 7:30-8PM in the middle of the summer.

I don't know where it stands now, but every time a state legislator would try to introduce a bill to respect Daylight Savings Time, it would get shot down. When I was there, the bill never made it to law because it got peppered with all sorts of factitious clauses like "All grandchildren must reprogram their grandparents' VCR clocks" and other such silliness. I hear that it finally became law last year, meaning that Indiana's two legacies--single class high school basketball (e.g. schools with 2000 students playing against schools with 100 students) and boycotting Daylight Savings time -- are now history.

~millergd~
dakota
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by dakota »

dakota wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:Reminder to posters (except those in SK) to change the time in their profile by plus one hour. Go to your profile, scroll down to "time", and add one to the value displayed.

Thanks for the reminder, now how do I change it from pm to am? :?
Just bumping this up hoping to get an answer
MidniteGardener
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MidniteGardener »

dakota wrote:Just bumping this up hoping to get an answer
I guess your jes' kidding, right?

Changing to GMT -7 (for AB) will show am or pm automatically. -i stinkso.
dakota
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by dakota »

MidniteGardener wrote:
dakota wrote:Just bumping this up hoping to get an answer
I guess your jes' kidding, right?

Changing to GMT -7 (for AB) will show am or pm automatically. -i stinkso.
No I not kidding read the time of my post this is am and not pm but the time has been corrected to GMT-7
Jo Anne
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jo Anne »

dakota wrote: No I not kidding read the time of my post this is am and not pm but the time has been corrected to GMT-7
Dakota, you should be at GMT-5, not GMT-7.

And the time on all of your posts looks fine to me.
MidniteGardener
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MidniteGardener »

dakota wrote:No I not kidding read the time of my post this is am and not pm but the time has been corrected to GMT-7
Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:49 am Post subject:
Looks right to me ... ?
dakota
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by dakota »

Jo Anne wrote:
dakota wrote: No I not kidding read the time of my post this is am and not pm but the time has been corrected to GMT-7

Discovered my error, I was using + instead of - :oops: :oops:

Sorry people, not feeling well
dakota
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by dakota »

Jo Anne wrote:

Discovered my error, I was using + instead of - :oops: :oops:

Sorry people, not feeling well

PS I think the reason it showed correctly on your machines is because you had yours set correctly so it only affected my own
Jo Anne
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jo Anne »

dakota wrote:Sorry people, not feeling well
Stay in the house, light a fire, and get your wife to make you some nice hot soup. :)
dakota
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by dakota »

Jo Anne wrote:
dakota wrote:Sorry people, not feeling well
Stay in the house, light a fire, and get your wife to make you some nice hot soup. :)
Wouldn't help my pnuemonia very much I don't think :(
Moe Mentum
Contributor
Contributor

Daylight Saving Time (DST) starts March 11th

Post by Moe Mentum »

Just a quick "heads-up". For those living in provinces/territories where the clocks spring forward, DST starts on March 11th, three weeks earlier than normal and finishes one week later (November 4th) than in years goneby.

Apparently this has some interesting implications for software that's more than 2 years old. Of course, there's a whole load of other implications. The US government approved this change in 2005 as an energy savings move.
Will this save significant energy? Are there any (road traffic) safety considerations? What are the software/hardware implications? How about political, e.g. Canada vs. US?
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

Traffic accidents increase right after the switch to DST, according to this study:
Coren (1996b) apparently confirmed this by showing that the shift to Daylight Savings Time (DST) had an impact on accident rates. The spring shift to daylight savings time results in a loss of one hour of sleep while the fall shift provides an additional hour which can be used for sleep. Using data from two years of Canadian traffic accident records, he found that on the Monday following the shift to DST in the spring, there was an increase in traffic accident rates of about 7 percent, while in the fall there was a decrease in accident rate of about the same magnitude.
Prof. Google turned up several later studies that also found this, but accessing them requires registration.
millergd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Daylight Saving Time (DST) starts March 11th

Post by millergd »

I get the feeling that my 2-year old Brookstone catalog SmartSet Alarm Clock has already been made obsolete by George Bush's oh-so-brilliant energy conservation plan to move DST ahead. I'm sure that whoever designed it never contemplated the fact that their concept would be ruined by a bunch of lawmakers with too much (standard) time on their hands...

~millergd~
dakota
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by dakota »

The spring shift to daylight savings time results in a loss of one hour of sleep
I'll be darned if I'm going to get up an hour earlier just to be on time for work. Either the employer adjusts the working hours or I stay home. :!:
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

millergd wrote:I get the feeling that my 2-year old Brookstone catalog SmartSet Alarm Clock has already been made obsolete...
I recently bought and installed this puppy to run our front porch light. It has a built-in computer that uses astronomic tables to automatically advance/retard on/off times throughout the year as the seasons change. It also has a DST adjustment but I'm going to leave it alone and see if it really matters.

And important news for assimilees, the Borg have just issued a cumulative time zone update for Microsoft Windows operating systems. Meanwhile some think this change in DST dates could trigger problems of Y2K proportions :shock:
eezee
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by eezee »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Meanwhile some think this change in DST dates could trigger problems of Y2K proportions :shock:
Probably the same good folks who crawled into a cave on Dec 31/1999 with a case of Campbell's soup and a jug of water :D
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

It has a built-in computer that uses astronomic tables to automatically advance/retard on/off times throughout the year as the seasons change.
What's wrong with a simple photosensor controller? Automatic season adjustment without the astronomical tables. :wink: