Daylight saving time

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Daylight saving time

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Teaser, probably the last time you'll need to make this change.
Tiny correction: Probably the last time you'll need to make this change on this forum.

FWIW I bought one of these puppies recently and it too automagically adjusted the time this morning.

[Can your Rolex, Patek Phillipe, etc do that? ;)]
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Teaser, probably the last time you'll need to make this change.
Now that our forum software has been updated, members should go to User Control Panel->Board preferences and make sure that your timezone is up-to-date so that the system will handle future daylight saving time changes for you.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:go to User Control Panel->Board preferences and make sure that your timezone is up-to-date so that the system will handle future daylight saving time changes for you.
When I go there, there are two time zone fields. The first shows offset from UTC and actual time/date. The second shows essentially the same thing, at least the first time. But UTC doesn't observe DST. So I presume your advice is to change the second field to something like, "America/Toronto", choosing a city near you where DST is observed as me do so that the local time as displayed on FWF changes accordingly.

P.S. Thanks and kudos for doing what you do (and just did.) :thumbsup:
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

The first field allows the user to first select the current local time and then reduce the options to all those timezones which actually match the user’s current time.

The software uses JavaScript to guess which timezone the user is most likely in, based on the browser’s reported timezone. On upgrading from phpBB 3.0, the UTC offset is retained until the user selects a different timezone, which is done in the second field, which as you point out in your case is America/Toronto. Once that selection is made, the automatic handling of daylight savings time takes over.

re-PS. Your welcome.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

A reminder to those who didn't have the daylight savings time automatically adjust for them. That indicates you still need to update the configuration of your timezone. I'll admit the forum software doesn't make it completely obvious how to do it.

Go to Board preferences, My timezone the first drop-down box shows a guess (based on JavaScript) of your timezone and then you need to select a country/city pair from the second dropdown that reflects your location. I'm in Calgary, so I set it to America/Edmonton.
Board preferences - timezone.PNG
Board preferences - timezone.PNG (2.35 KiB) Viewed 2972 times

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Bump. If you've already updated your Board preferences and updated your timezone then no action is required tomorrow morning when daylight savings time ends for most Canadians.

If you don't remember making a change back when the forum software was updated, maybe you want to take a minute and check and then forget going forward.

kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Thanks to the good advice here, I only have to change time twice a year to/from Guadalajara et al. They changed last weekend and will return 3 weeks sooner in the spring. Does not help with Shaw Direct though.
For the fun of it...Keith