Introduce Yourself

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by newguy »

Cla4finances wrote:Hello... I am Clarice, I am from Brazil and I study Finance... :D
Welcome to FWF. We focus on Canadian finances but everyone can ask questions. Sorry I don't know much about Brazil.
Love to ready
Did you mean "Love to read" or "Ready to love" ? :lol:

newguy
robinridge
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by robinridge »

I can't even figure out how to post a question on this site! Should there not be a very noticeable button or something?
ModeratorZ

Post by ModeratorZ »

robinridge wrote:I can't even figure out how to post a question on this site! Should there not be a very noticeable button or something?
Welcome to the forum.

At the top left of each forum there's a button that says "New Topic." Click on that. Also, to reply to another member's post, click on "Post Reply" at the bottom left of the page.

Hope this helps!
JRichie
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: New User

Post by JRichie »

New user as well, welcome!!
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: New User

Post by Pickles »

JRichie wrote:New user as well, welcome!!
Welcome to the forum yourself, jRichie! This is the thread to introduce yourself: what brought you to the forum, perhaps a bit of background info on your investing history or your goals. We're all ears!
Regards,
Pickles
martinv
Contributor
Contributor

Post by martinv »

Hi, my name is martin and I am a self directed investor.
Just came over from Canadian Money Forum where I have been a member since 2009.
First started investing in equities in 2001.
Invested in mainly Canadian equities and my current portfolio consists of 11 stocks with very little turnover.
Hope to learn and contribute.
Thank you, m
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Welcome to FWF.
martinv wrote:Invested in mainly Canadian equities and my current portfolio consists of 11 stocks with very little turnover.
Hope to learn and contribute.
What's the secret sauce behind your methodology to making your selections?
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 29 May 2014 11:45, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Secret sauce question
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

We're glad to have you, martin. I look forward to your contributions.

We see that CMF has recently been sold (to someone who also approached us), and it looks like there might be some disturbing implications for members' privacy over there. I see complaints about more advertising suddenly, plus clicks being tracked and presumably sold. Monetizing eyeballs, in the vernacular.

FWF was founded on a different model. We are a community where the members don't need to kowtow to sponsors or advertisers because they cover our bills - we cover them ourselves through donations and a heroic volunteer effort by our moderating team. The forum is about making money, certainly, but not about making money off the backs of our fellow members by charging them or distracting them with shiny things. We began with that philosophy 9 1/2 years ago and it is baked in.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Amen to that Norbert. I continue to be amazed at the tireless efforts of "a few good men" for the benefit of the masses, with no apparent financial return. It seems to be a bloody-minded attempt to undermine the financial gurus who are all aligned to take your money!

My personal thanks to Norbert for agreeing to stand for re-election. I could never make the contribution that he is making to this cause.

I hope that these new recruits are the result of AltaRed and I over at CMF! I believe in the cause bro!
For the fun of it...Keith
martinv
Contributor
Contributor

Post by martinv »

Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes, I did follow Kcowan over here from CMF. Good so far, lots of informative material to read as well as some interesting "characters"!
End Times
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by End Times »

Hi,

My name is Scott and I'm a blue collar guy who is trying to make some sense of the stock market. I'm not going to say that I have an impressive batting average so far... Anyways, I seem to like reading forums, so I figure if I find a good one it will help to keep me interested in managing my portfolio.

:beer:
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

End Times wrote:Hi,

My name is Scott and I'm a blue collar guy who is trying to make some sense of the stock market. I'm not going to say that I have an impressive batting average so far... Anyways, I seem to like reading forums, so I figure if I find a good one it will help to keep me interested in managing my portfolio.

:beer:
Welcome, Scott. I came here 8 years ago with no experience in the stock market or managinging anything others than a bunch of GICs. I lurked for 6 months before taking the plunge and joining. There is a lot you can learn by asking questions (not available to non-members) and there are a good number of successful investors and folks knowledgeable about financial issues who can offer you suggestions and ideas.
Regards,
Pickles
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Even though the main thrust of the forum is equity ETF index investing, a great strategy for beginners, you will find kindred spirits here in dividend stock investing, value investing, options investing and even trading. Welcome to our club. :thumbsup:
For the fun of it...Keith
francisB
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by francisB »

Hi there! I'm a newbie here. I'm Francis Czarina Barnfield, from California.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

francisB wrote:Hi there! I'm a newbie here. I'm Francis Czarina Barnfield, from California.
Welcome to the forum, Francis. Tell us something about yourself and what brings you to this Canadian-focused financial site.
Regards,
Pickles
RonBruce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RonBruce »

Hello, yet another newbie here. I live in the Okanagan, BC and am hoping to better understand my finances.

I get a bit frustrated with everything the bank tells me I need to invest in so I've been reading lots of books and thinking a lazy or passive portfolio is the way to go. I would like to change my RRSP into a self directed one and not change with every new bank fund that arrives on the scene.

I've lurked at the Boglehead Forum and thought it was time to come by here as the 401(k) and Roth talk gets me a bit confused. :?

Still learning lots and will read even more so not sure I can add much to threads at this point but will, of course, ask lots of questions. In fact I will go look for the section I need to ask my first question in right now. :)
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Welcome to FWF. You have made the most important decision... taking charge of your investing activities. May I suggest our own finiki, the link/icon at the top right for good reading material.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
RonBruce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RonBruce »

Thanks. I'll look around here a bit more and then head back to the finiki. :D
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

RonBruce wrote:...I've lurked at the Boglehead Forum and thought it was time to come by here as the 401(k) and Roth talk gets me a bit confused. :?...
Welcome! You'll find a number of members who belong to both forums - like me.

If you had posted in the Bogleheads forum, I would have sent you here. You came to the right place.

I further suggest that you compose a thread in the Financial Planning and Building Portfolios forum using the My Portfolio: Seeking Advice format. It's surprisingly similar to the format used on Bogleheads - but reworked for Canadian investors. If you don't understand anything, just start a thread and ask for help.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
RonBruce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RonBruce »

Thanks, LadyGeek, I will do that.

EDIT: Took the plunge and opened iTrade TFSA and RRSP accounts today. Also transferred 'in kind' my regular RRSP to iTrade. Looks like I'm in the water. Must learn to swim.... :shock:
Flaccidsteele
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Flaccidsteele »

Married. Have a child.
Always wanted to minimize time spent being an employee (I wasn't interested in trading decades of my life for a pension nor to have an employer give my life meaning).
Very lucky.
Very lucky to be born in Canada.
Very lucky to be in good health.
Very lucky to be born in a time where investing doesn't require much effort.
Very lucky to have been able to experience a series of market crashes from (1994-2014) which allowed for the accumulation of assets at cheap prices.
Very lucky to have been indoctrinated by Munger/Buffett when I was a child. And then Fisher.
Very lucky to have biases to believe aforementioned writings to ignore diversification/asset-allocation/re-balancing, macroeconomics, media, volatility, etc.
Very lucky investing is both simple and easy for me due to my hard-wired confirmational biases.
Retired at 40 with ~$3m. ~45% US rental real estate. ~45% stocks (~8 stocks). ~10% cash. No debt.
My investing results are 100% based on being very lucky.
Spend spare time reading topics of consciousness and quantum mechanics. Determinism and free will.
Spend spare reading Heidegger, Kierkegaard, Epicurus, Leo Tolstoy, Schopenhauer, Seneca, Nietzsche, and others.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Flaccidsteele wrote:Retired at 40 with ~$3m.
In another forum, a year ago, you wrote:I work. My colleagues don't know about my investing. Nobody would know if they saw me. I avoid consumerism which is ironic considering the businesses that I'm invested. I've been interviewed multiple times by MoneySense magazine, The Toronto Star, The Globe and Mail, Macleans Magazine, and the Business News Network (BNN).
Can I infer you're 41 years old and you've retired within the last year?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
mrPPincer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mrPPincer »

Hey everyone :)

I'm another refugee from the Canadian Money Forum diaspora since the brand new ownership/admin team started playing whack-a-mole with their newly-paid-for faithful community, arbitrarily kicking/bullying long-time contributors, deleting entire threads and individual posts (I suspect this was the new admin team trying to cover their a**e* from observation of their actions by ownership, but whatevah), even going so far as to alter people's posts to say something they didn't, all contrary to the existing contract between management & the users of the forum, & without creating any official new rules to lay out whatever guidelines their new totatarianistic regime might have for their perceived little minions.
Hardly an environment for free & intelligent discourse any more sadly, & now I don't feel comfortable contributing in such an environment prone to cencorship, cyberbullying etc, so now I'm here.
/end rant

I've been lurking here, catching up, getting to know you all a little for the last couple weeks, & I look forward to joining the conversation soon.

Also, I do look forward to joining Keith's 2015 prediction contest here this year.
I was in the 2014 contest over on Canadian Money Forum, and was in fourth place in September, first place in October and November, and have my fingers crossed for the finish line December 31 :)
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Welcome to the FWF community.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

mrPPincer - Welcome! The contest is taking submissions now: 2015 predictions contest

We also have a hedge fund contest, which is open for submissions now: A 2015 hedge fund contest

Update: Revised for 2015 hedge fund contest.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.