Introduce Yourself

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
HardWorker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: New

Post by HardWorker »

Don't argue that German cars are better quality than Japanese and you'll be fine in my books :D

Welcome aboard.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: New

Post by AltaRed »

The written rules should provide sufficient guidance. Also look for existing threads where practical to answer some of your questions, and/or post in existing threads where it logically makes sense.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
ThisGuyNelson
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by ThisGuyNelson »

Hello everyone,

My name is Brett Nelson, I'm a 19 year old investor and personal finance enthusiast. I don't have a financial education background (I'm a Communications and Publishing student at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver). I'm starting a blog myself aimed at explaining personal finance and investing in layman's terms for the everyman. I look forward to sharing and learning from everyone here!

Brett :D :D
daryls
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by daryls »

Hello! I'm Daryl and fairly new here - glad to meet everyone.
barrysharf
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by barrysharf »

Hi,

I'm Barry sharf from Old Brookville, NY. I was working as an entrepreneur in the home medical equipment industry and also have been active investor in real estate & other small business. I love to write & share about business funding, merchant cash advance, direct lending, financing and working capital loans.

Please let me know how does this forum work?

Thanks

Barry Sharf
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Welcome to the forum. We are a pretty friendly bunch and welcome newcomers who are eager to learn, ask and answer questions, and contribute their financial wisdom to us all. This forum is primariy about all things financial, but you will also notice we have a section on non-financial topics as well.

We also have a financial wiki called 'finiki' linked per the icon at the top.

By and large, all membership is expected to abide by the Rules, also linked via an icon at the top. Read them. They are pretty straight forward.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

I would also add that we are a Canadian forum and you are based in the US. I doubt you will find it of much interest. Bogleheads.com is our sister US forum.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Good catch. The location didn't register with me... I was registering Brockville, ON :roll:
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

barrysharf wrote:Hi,

I'm Barry sharf from Old Brookville, NY. I was working as an entrepreneur in the home medical equipment industry and also have been active investor in real estate & other small business. I love to write & share about business funding, merchant cash advance, direct lending, financing and working capital loans.

Please let me know how does this forum work?

Thanks

Barry Sharf
Spudd wrote:I would also add that we are a Canadian forum and you are based in the US. I doubt you will find it of much interest. Bogleheads.com is our sister US forum.
Welcome! The US forum can be found here: Bogleheads

Do you need any help with your personal investments?

Disclaimer: I'm a member of both forums.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
barrysharf
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by barrysharf »

If I need any help with personal investments than I definitely contact you here. Thanks again.
fireseeker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by fireseeker »

Greetings, longtime lurker, first-time poster.
First off, I want to thank Gummy, Bylo and Shakespeare, among others, for their extensive knowledge sharing both here and elsewhere.
I also want to thank Norbert for his gambit, which has already saved me well into four figures.
I'm early 50s in Toronto, married with a uni-aged child, preparing for retirement.
I've been DIYing our savings for about 12 years after an epiphany helped me realize that our Big Bank broker's conflicts of interest (and costs) were interfering with our returns. Now have a mix of stocks, prefs, ETFs, GICs and bond funds. A follower of Contra the Herd, because I relate to their ideology and methods.
Not sure I will post much, but wanted to publicly express my gratitude for the teachings I have encountered here.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

fireseeker wrote: 03 Jun 2017 16:16 Greetings, longtime lurker, first-time poster.
First off, I want to thank Gummy, Bylo and Shakespeare, among others, for their extensive knowledge sharing both here and elsewhere.
I also want to thank Norbert for his gambit, which has already saved me well into four figures.
I'm early 50s in Toronto, married with a uni-aged child, preparing for retirement.
I've been DIYing our savings for about 12 years after an epiphany helped me realize that our Big Bank broker's conflicts of interest (and costs) were interfering with our returns. Now have a mix of stocks, prefs, ETFs, GICs and bond funds. A follower of Contra the Herd, because I relate to their ideology and methods.
Not sure I will post much, but wanted to publicly express my gratitude for the teachings I have encountered here.
Welcome to the FWF community.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Shinplaster
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Shinplaster »

During my upbringing I was always interested in technology. Creating my first Iphone app at fourteen and dipping my feet into the financial world, I found my passion for finance in highschool. Currently I am twenty, living in BC, and studying finance while investing every spare dollar that I can afford on my student budget. I don't have much else history to share, but I look forward to what this forum and wiki brings to my future.
GoodManners
Contributor
Contributor

New to the forum

Post by GoodManners »

I have been silently cruising the forum and soaking up the wisdom.

Decided to register and ask questions as needed.

I'm 47 and have my own company - single owner/operator. I never really paid attention to my finances so now I'm playing catch up.... But I'm glad there's a resource like this that i can use to get answers.

Spare time I like pinball and motorcycles and BBQ.

Thanks everyone.
tomdrake
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by tomdrake »

Hi everyone, I'm Tom Drake. I started MapleMoney (previously Canadian Finance Blog) in 2009 and can't believe it took me this long to find this forum! I have a wife and two kids, and we're living in Airdrie, Alberta.

My investing is rather simple, everything international is in ETFs, most of my Canadian investments are dividend paying stocks in a smith manoeuvre using the Scotia STEP. Ok, that part isn't so simple, but when it comes to actually picking stocks, I try to get a high dividend and "buy on bad news".

I'm looking forward to contributing to the forum where I can!
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Welcome to the forum: tomdrake, GoodManners and Shinplaster. We are happy to have fresh blood here.

Please familiarize yourselves with finiki at the maple leaf above. If sporting, you might want to prepare to enter our contests.
Hedge Fund Contest
and
Predictions Contest
They both require your input by January for 2018.
For the fun of it...Keith
jago
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by jago »

Hello

I am a DIY investor living in Ottawa, Ontario . I have been managing my financial affairs on my own for many years now.
I would characterize myself as a value investor with small mix of tech stocks . My philosophy has been shaped by the writings of Buffett
for the most part. I glanced over your board and it was nice to see a quality well managed board with mature responses.
Dunning-Kruger
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dunning-Kruger »

Hi there. I am early 50's , happily married and debt free. I work as a tradesman and plan to retire in ten years. Started to read up on investing about 6 years ago, and came to the conclusion the 3% mer we were paying on our meager rrsp was ridiculous. My investing education began with technical investing ,pouring over various charts and numbers, but it never really made enough sense for me to pursue. Then it was onto the day traders etc. . In the end, The Canadian Couch Potato along with living below your means seems to be the answer for us. After 4 years things are adding up faster than I anticipated .
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Welcome to FWF!

It is amazing how simple and robust a CCP passive investing strategy can really be once you cut through all the BS. We developed our own financial wiki called finiki which includes passive investment strategies.
Icetrap
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Icetrap »

Hello,

I found this forum through bogleheads forum. I’m finishing up my FSA. I believe that index is the way to go for small fish like us you do not have north of 10 billions... meaning quasi everyone... that was about the advice of a Goldmensack executive in their book on investing.

Anyway, I’m a high believer of shared risk plan and a pationatw researcher of new accumulation-dexumulation strategies. I feel that the theory so far is inadequate in still many ways. I m exited to then pursue some of them here.

I’m a french Montrealer, so please be kind if I do too many english error :)
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

Icetrap,
Icetrap wrote: 09 Mar 2018 04:37 Hello,

I found this forum through bogleheads forum. I’m finishing up my FSA. I believe that index is the way to go for small fish like us you do not have north of 10 billions... meaning quasi everyone... that was about the advice of a Goldmensack executive in their book on investing.

Anyway, I’m a high believer of shared risk plan and a pationatw researcher of new accumulation-dexumulation strategies. I feel that the theory so far is inadequate in still many ways. I m exited to then pursue some of them here.

Welcome to FWF!

What's an FSA? And, what is Goldmensack?
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

I suspect Goldmensack is Goldman Sachs with voice typing maybe? :thumbsup:
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

Bienvenue encore! Can you please explain the letters "FSA"? If it is French, we can help you translate.

finiki can help: Équivalents en français - finiki, the Canadian financial wiki, but I do not see "FSA" in this list.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Icetrap
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Icetrap »

LadyGeek wrote: 09 Mar 2018 19:59

Bienvenue encore! Can you please explain the letters "FSA"? If it is French, we can help you translate.

finiki can help: Équivalents en français - finiki, the Canadian financial wiki, but I do not see "FSA" in this list.
Sorry for the abbreviation. FSA : Fellowship of Society of Actuary. and I meant Goldman Sachs. In my last exam I've got to study the "Modern Investment Management", Litterman which is basically sponsored by Goldman Sachs.
ljp058
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ljp058 »

Hello,
I just took an early retirement, am living in the US but have Canadian RRSP's and US retirement plans. We moved to the States in 1997. My RRSPs are in a direct investing account with TD Bank, who at the time was the only bank that would let me continue managing my investments. Basically, they have been passive-or neglected- investments depending on how you look at it. Now I have to get down to brass tacks and figure out the next steps. So I joined the forum, that I found through Bogleheads, and hope that I can find some information so I can make better decisions. So thanks for having a forum to add more confusion to my life :)!

Have a great day!