Introduce Yourself

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
GreatLaker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by GreatLaker »

Hi FWF. My name is Bruce. I have been lurking here for a couple of years and joined late last year. I am the type that thinks and researches a lot before asking questions so… I don’t ask a lot of questions.

I started an indexed portfolio with TD Direct almost 4 years ago and gradually added to it including my TFSA, moving funds from ING Streetwise. Last year I moved all of my long-term retirement savings to TD Direct using ETFs and GIC ladders, allocated to accounts according to the Finiki tax-efficient investing principles. All of the ETFs are low-cost, broadly diversified, non-hedged funds like HXT, VUN, XEF. I keep fully invested (right now I have <1% cash) and use TD Balanced Index or HISA (TDB965 and TDB8150) for short term holdings and DCA contributions. RRSP and TFSA are both maxed, and have always been except for when I bought real estate and when I took time off for graduate school.

My favourite investing books are The Four Pillars of Investing by William Bernstein, and the Real Retirement by Fred Vetesse and Bill Morneau. Least favourite investing book is Money, Master the Game by Tony Robbins.

I am mid 50s and plan to retire in 2-3 years. My investing strategy is to keep a broadly diversified, low cost, low tax portfolio, generally avoiding higher cost investments and segment funds. All my ETFs are Canadian domiciled, but on my list of items I might do is switch to US ETFs in my RRSP to avoid withholding taxes. Another might do item is add a component of Canadian dividend stocks, but right now I don’t have the interest or time to do a quality stock selection process. I use Retireware software for financial planning.

Thanks to everyone here for enabling my learning process, which I look forward to continuing.
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I am no longer young.
northbeach
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by northbeach »

Welcome aboard,
Seems like you have things under control.
Similar to your plans, I retired in my mid 50s.
I used to post more frequently, but now am more of a lurker.
FWF is the best place for DIY investor types.
JohnFiscal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JohnFiscal »

Ahoy. John here. US citizen/resident, wife is from Alberta and holds both Canadian and US citizenship. Lots of family "back home" and our finances are somewhat mingled back there.

My first post, to the tax forum, does not seem to have been posted. Does the first post need to be manually approved by moderators first?
kukucanuck
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kukucanuck »

Based in Ottawa, active 68 year old retired geezer, father and grandpa. Frugal yet practical. Enjoy dabbling in the market - some success and occasional duds. Overall, life has been great to me. No complaints, no regrets. Had a great career and very responsible grown self sufficient children. What else could one ask for?
Canadian Saver
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Canadian Saver »

Have mostly been lurking over the past year or so.

As far as I can tell, I'm much younger than most on here. 31 years old, have long-term partner, no kids. Currently targeting FI for 49yo. Long way out from now, but I can't help but plan early!

Portfolio is:
23% Canadian Equity
23.5% US Equity
23.5% International/Emerging Equity
10% Canadian Real Estate
10% Bonds
10% Real Return Bonds
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

There is a tool called FIRECalc that can help, and as you get closer, RRFmetic.

Are you planning to use ETFs or individual holdings?

Welcome to our sand box!
For the fun of it...Keith
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

Canadian Saver, Welcome!

If you want to fine-tune your portfolio, feel free to start a thread in the Financial Planning and Building Portfolios using the My Portfolio: Seeking Advice format. It's designed to make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the information we need to answer your questions.

(All members are welcome to do so, regardless of your investing experience.)
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Canadian Saver
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Canadian Saver »

kcowan wrote:There is a tool called FIRECalc that can help, and as you get closer, RRFmetic.

Are you planning to use ETFs or individual holdings?

Welcome to our sand box!
Thanks for the welcome! I've tried both tools previously. I like RRIFmetic since it handles future expected cashflows (e.g. education costs, CPP, etc).

Current portfolio is all ETFs.
LadyGeek wrote:Canadian Saver, Welcome!

If you want to fine-tune your portfolio, feel free to start a thread in the Financial Planning and Building Portfolios using the My Portfolio: Seeking Advice format. It's designed to make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the information we need to answer your questions.

(All members are welcome to do so, regardless of your investing experience.)
Thanks, I expect I will reach out down the line :)
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Canadian Saver wrote:I like RRIFmetic since it handles future expected cashflows (e.g. education costs, CPP, etc).
Current portfolio is all ETFs.
The author is a member here. Steve Salter (steves)
GerryArena
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by GerryArena »

Hi Everyone, just joined the site today. My name is Gerry Arena (as you may have guessed) and I'm from New Jersey. I'm a Mortgage Originator and I'm looking forward to giving advice as to how to effectively use a mortgage.

Is this site primarily for Canadians or is there a strong American community as well?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

GerryArena wrote:Is this site primarily for Canadians or is there a strong American community as well?
This site is primarily for Canadians. Our sister site in the USA is Bogleheads.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

GerryArena wrote:I'm looking forward to giving advice as to how to effectively use a mortgage.
Check out The Smith Manoeuvre and Heloc for the commonly-accepted strategy.
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

kcowan wrote:
GerryArena wrote:I'm looking forward to giving advice as to how to effectively use a mortgage.
Check out The Smith Manoeuvre and Heloc for the commonly-accepted strategy.
GerryArena, welcome! You can find more information here: Mortgage - finiki, the Canadian financial wiki

The Smith Manoeuvre is described at the bottom of the article. FYI - Canada does not have a mortgage interest deduction.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
SB2k15
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SB2k15 »

Im looking forward to it all! I love this site.
tofu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tofu »

why did I never thought of doing an introduction?! I am a long time member, since the fundlibrary, wealthy boomer days, probably started following back in the late 90s. I am a sandwich generation, with a couple very young dependents, and a couple aging parents, both sets require more financial and caretaking support with each passing year. Life is more complicated these days.

I have always been a DIY investor, lucky timing than anything else. I had ever only known about cash and GIC until My first job working a coop term. I got a job doing nightly processing for TD Greenline (before Waterhouse), and other brokerages. I could see all the client accounts, so I opened an account with TD myself, for the fun of seeing my name on the system. that's how it all started.

First story: one morning, the big news at work was a stock price got to 5 digits, broke our system which only allowed 4 digits for price. A co-worker commented about this company's head didn't believe in stock splits. All that talk went over my head. Probably another decade later, I put 2 and 2 together, realized he was talking about Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway.

Second story: My first assignment on the coop term was writing the RRIF withdraw program for our brokerage clients when the original formula came out. It's possible a few of you here who are with those brokerages used my program. I had no idea what RRSP or RRIF was at the time, too young.

I have learned a lot from reading the thought leaders here. Thank you.
SB2k15
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SB2k15 »

Welcome! Enjoy and learn!
fussyoldfart
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by fussyoldfart »

More than 25 years ago my wife called me a fussy old fart and I adopted it for use in email and internet forums. She was right, BTW, the name is apt, it fits well. My investing experience began in Toronto in the early 1970s - not very successfully. After moving to BC I switched my accounts to a new brokerage and broker both of whom shall be nameless. I invested as much as I could, kept very busy earning more, and watched a great deal melt away into other pockets. Returning to Ontario about 15 years ago I dismissed nameless and set up self directed accounts with RBC where my own efforts have done a little better but recent events in the market tell me I need to be sharper. So here I am. I will have questions, the first of which I will pose as soon as I locate the most appropriate forum.
northbeach
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by northbeach »

Welcome aboard.
You will find a lot of knowledge and experience here.
FWF has been very important to my financial success.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Welcome FOF to FWF!
Don't worry about current reversals, just stay stay the course.
Check out finiki on the second line beside the maple leaf as a first step.
Tamika
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tamika »

Yeah I was lurking around here too, way too long of course. I registered in the past and now I was reading through the posts here again and I couldn't remember my username. I'm getting old I guess :)

So what am I doing here? Basically I kinda stay in touch with the financial markets through a forum like this. I went to school to get my license (to trade stocks) but ended up in Accounting classes and I'm about to graduate in 2016. This is all college and I'm on a small intersection in my life when it comes to future decisions. And I know this might sound strange but here it goes: I used to be a carpenter believe it or not. I love creating things, half my house has furniture, wooden floors, cabinets, doors, you name it, I made it all, I loved it! But the area that I live in doesn't need any carpenters, and I hate to admit it: I live in the redneck boonies so women are not exactly the first people they choose for jobs.

I also love sewing. Yeah I know: not enough business there either. But I was good with money, I helped a few older people investing and that's how I built on my reputation. In the end I 'advised' seven people where to invest and how and the Securities Commissions got ahold of this and they told me that I was allowed to do that (there is no legislation in this area to forbid me from doing this) but I had to get my license. I didn't get any commissions so I figured: let's go to college and get that license. But the thing is: what I learned from the college Investment program is that it's all sales. And I don't do sales. I'm not going to chase after commissions and keep calling customers that's not my thing. During the accounting classes I learned that interpreting annual reports give you way more information about a company than 1 years of Investment in college.

So now I'm in the second year of Accounting. It's a lot of work especially when you're not a spring chicken anymore. I bite my tongue quite a bit with all the young folk out there but hey, I guess I was young once too.

I can go on to Univerisity in 2015, after two years I can apply for CPA but I'm going to be honest: I still am kinda loving that investment thing. Advising people and informing them how certain things need to be laid out. So that's where I'm at right now.

Investments: BB, COS, Coeur ( 8) never got rid off them) and now keeping an eye on TNC:X
Other long term: GIC and TD-e (902)
I pulled out of Surge and Suncor earlier in 2014. I don't see the oil price go up for another 10 years now Iran is entering the market and I'm looking for newer venues, copper seems interesting, although I should read up on that like I did with oil.
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Welcome back to FWF, Tamika.

Congratulations on your approach, examining the fundamentals of potential investments. It's a time-consuming but effective way to invest. I'm too lazy to do that, and just hold broad index funds.

Continuing education when you're a mature student can be tough. On the other hand, you know yourself better and can decide what suits you and what doesn't. Whatever your decision, I wish you the best of luck with it.

Happy New Year.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
Roger Deen
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Roger Deen »

Hi there My name is Roger, I am close to 60 and luckily I found this valuable site just now as I googled to get an answer on CPP. I live in Toronto and have worked for about 25 years in pensinable service. I find the posts on this site incredibly knowledgeable.

Perhaps someone can refer me to a forum where I can obtain an answer to a CPP clawback question. I would get a federal superannuation of approximately 49,000 per annum at age 65 when I plan to retire and no CPP as it gets clawed back for those who receive federal pensions.

My question is that if I start receiving the reduced CPP thie year when I turn 60 and contue to work till age 65 and continue contributing to both federal pension and CPP,, does it affect the federal superannuation that I would get at age 65. Will it be different thaan if I had not collected CPP as it is base don clawback etc.

Thanks for referring me to the right forum.
Roger
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

See Post.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
SaiRun12
Newcomer
Newcomer

New

Post by SaiRun12 »

Hey Yall,
Just wanted to introduce myself to the new forum. I am Simon and looking forward to learning a lot. I hope I will be able to contribute as much as I learn from everyone in here. Are there any unwritten rules I should know about before diving into the forums, so I don't step on anybody's toes?
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: New

Post by longinvest »

Welcome to the forum!
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)