Guess who celebrates a birthday today?

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Guess who celebrates a birthday today?

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Another year of educating Canadians investors has passed as FWF reaches its 13th birthday today.

Newer members who might not be aware of the background might want to read Happy 10th birthday FWF and perhaps the History of FWF.

Some statistics associated with today's milestone, Total posts 495313 • Total topics 16372 • Total members 8921. Perhaps we need a contest to guess when we'll reach the half million posts mark.

But that only tells part of the story, many lurkers and guests are helped by what gets posted here without every registering and becoming part of our community. In 2017, there were over 1.1 million visitors and 7.6 million pages served.

A hearty thank you and congratulations to each and every member for making this one of the best Canadian financial websites, and a non-commercial and completely independent one at that.

A new entry on our homepage, Another year older for the forum and the wiki, covers the story.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Guess who turned 13 today?

Post by AltaRed »

:thumbsup: FWF continues to impress and educate me, and the advertising/commercial free format is so refreshing in an online world contaminated more and more by ads, popups and fake news.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

:thumbsup:
Any idea whether the 1.1 million viewing 7 pages ranks in comparable sites?
It sounds impressive!

This is my goto site for Canadian finance. Thanks for the indefatigable support. I try to give back but 15 years into retirement, my span of interest has declined. But I have claimed every type of pension except DC.
For the fun of it...Keith
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Thank you to all posters, past and present.

This site has educated me (no easy task) on many financial matters and helped me make AND save a lot of money.

It has also helped me secure a solid future for myself and DW and indirectly, for family and friends. For which I am very grateful to you all.

Cheers.
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

When does the teenage angst start? ;)

Thank you to all who made this forum what it is today. To all of you who contribute content - questions, answers, finiki entries/edits, advice, encouragement, humour, and even the occasional snark - FWF and its readers owe you their thanks.

To those who make donations that help defray expenses and keep us ad- and solicitation-free, please accept our gratitude.

Finally, to the skeleton and ethereal volunteer staff who toil in the background, keeping the power plant humming, sweeping away the spam, quelling arguments before they become fistfights, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! The audience doesn't know you're there, but they would sure notice if you weren't.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
ockham
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ockham »

Koogie wrote: 18 Feb 2018 18:28 Thank you to all posters, past and present.

This site has educated me (no easy task) on many financial matters and helped me make AND save a lot of money.

It has also helped me secure a solid future for myself and DW and indirectly, for family and friends. For which I am very grateful to you all.

Cheers.
:thumbsup:

Off the top of my head:
1. FWF, twice, alerted me to RBCDI's rich 1% offer on new accounts (total take for me was close to $25K);
2. FWF taught me everything I know about real return bonds and about asset allocation philosophy;
3. FWF just this past week alerted me to Vanguard's new muti-asset ETFs, a product that will be genuinely useful.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Norbert Schlenker wrote: 19 Feb 2018 10:32 When does the teenage angst start? ;)

Thank you to all who made this forum what it is today. To all of you who contribute content - questions, answers, finiki entries/edits, advice, encouragement, humour, and even the occasional snark - FWF and its readers owe you their thanks.

To those who make donations that help defray expenses and keep us ad- and solicitation-free, please accept our gratitude.

Finally, to the skeleton and ethereal volunteer staff who toil in the background, keeping the power plant humming, sweeping away the spam, quelling arguments before they become fistfights, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! The audience doesn't know you're there, but they would sure notice if you weren't.
+1! :thumbsup:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

adrian2 wrote: 19 Feb 2018 13:01
Norbert Schlenker wrote: 19 Feb 2018 10:32 When does the teenage angst start? ;)

+1 :thumbsup:
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
LAJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LAJ »

What amount is a good donation keeping in mind I haven't donated for quite some time now. :oops:
Hakuna Matata
poedin
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by poedin »

Really 8).
Thanks to all FWFers for making this forum the best of its kind!
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

FWF turned 14 today

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 18 Feb 2018 11:01 Another year of educating Canadians investors has passed as FWF reaches its 13th birthday today.

Newer members who might not be aware of the background might want to read Happy 10th birthday FWF and perhaps the History of FWF.

Some statistics associated with today's milestone, Total posts 495313 • Total topics 16372 • Total members 8921. Perhaps we need a contest to guess when we'll reach the half million posts mark.

But that only tells part of the story, many lurkers and guests are helped by what gets posted here without every registering and becoming part of our community. In 2017, there were over 1.1 million visitors and 7.6 million pages served.

A hearty thank you and congratulations to each and every member for making this one of the best Canadian financial websites, and a non-commercial and completely independent one at that.

A new entry on our homepage, Another year older for the forum and the wiki, covers the story.
Another year has passed an FWF turns 14 today!

Here are some updated statistics: Total posts 514756 • Total topics 16918 • Total members 9513.

Welcome to anyone who joined over the past year and once again thank you to all our members for making this one of the best Canadian financial websites. Our mission continues.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
hamor
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Guess who celebrates a birthday today?

Post by hamor »

most of my financial and investment knowledge I owe to this site and its posters, thank you :)
it made a HUGE difference to my portfolio :thumbsup:
"Speculation is an effort, probably unsuccessfully, to turn a little money into a lot. Investment is an effort, which should be successful, to prevent a lot of money from becoming a little." Fred Schwed " Where are the Customers’ Yachts?"
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

🎂🎂🎂 🎂🎂🎂 🎂🎂🎂 🎂🎂
🎈🎈🎈Happy Birthday! 🎈🎈🎈
🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

:beer: :beer: Hard to believe that many of us who joined in Feb/Mar of 2005 are still around! Don't know if that is good or bad........

I, like many others, have learned a tanker load of stuff over the years, and still learning.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Yup in 13 years have learned a lot through discussions here. I joined after 3 years of active portfolio management driven by the necessity of retirement. I have evolved to a style that matches our position in life. And the participants in FWF have reinforced that many different styles work.
For the fun of it...Keith
RBull
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RBull »

Great site. Thanks to the originators/owners and all the posters here.

I've learned a boat load of valauble things here and am still learning. I wish I'd found you sooner.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

longinvest wrote: 19 Feb 2018 14:28
adrian2 wrote: 19 Feb 2018 13:01

+1 :thumbsup:
+1 :thumbsup: Thanks to all contributors for making all FWF members smarter
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest