Can't read a Private Message I allegedly had

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Can't read a Private Message I allegedly had

Post by Hogwild »

Hi:

I saw the indicator "1" that I had a private message waiting. When I clicked on private messages, the website simply took me to the forum index page. What's more, the indicator disappeared, so now I have no idea who sent or even if I received a PM. Are there issues with this right now?

This was 2017-11-20 @ 11:40 EST
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Can't read a Private Message I allegedly had

Post by BRIAN5000 »

I just sent you a test message?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

Wait, this is confusing. I rarely use these features. Maybe the 1 was to the right of notifications, and not PM. I can't remember now. Either way, if I click on Private Messages, I get forwarded to the forum index. Nothing else. No message.
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

Me too, looks like the "Private Messages" link at the top of the board is broken.

To get to your private messages you can click on your name at the top right (next to Private Messages), choose User Control Panel, and then one of the tabs in there is Private Messages. That works.
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

Hmmmm...now it showed as 1 PM. But when I clicked on my user profile and then the Private Messages tab, no private messsages appeared to exist. Something is wrong, methinks.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Indeed, the link for Private Message is broken. Me thinks a recent software update broke it. No doubt an Administrator will be on top of the problem when one is available.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

An administrator is now available and looking into the problem :ugeek: . I can confirm that the Private messages link isn't functioning correctly.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

A workaround until the problem is identified and resolved is via your User Control Panel, which is accessed via the dropdown menu from your username beside the Private messages link. The direct link is http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... p?i=ucp_pm
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Can those who were experiencing the problem please check again. I'm no longer able to reproduce the problem :roll:

Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

Agreed, it works for me now.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Works for me now too (Win10 Desktop and Chrome) whereas that was the one instance where it was not working before.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

Would someone please send me a PM so I can test if my account is working.

Username: Hogwild

Thanks
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Done

Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

It's working again for me too. Got 'em. Thanks everyone.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

Looks like this problem has started up again. When I click on Private Messages I get the Board Index. I had to go through the User Control Panel. Windows 10, IE11.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

I tried last night after DenisD posted and again this morning and cannot reproduce the problem. Running Chrome (beta) on Windows 10. The previous time this did occur I was able to reproduce it.

Can anyone else confirm (or deny) that the problem is still occurring, so we can figure out if it is widespread or not. Thanks in advance.

Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

I experienced the problem early last night again. Haven't tried this morning.
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

It's currently working fine for me.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

It's working for me too today.