Link posting in Chrome

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
rishitibriwal
Contributor
Contributor

Link posting in Chrome

Post by rishitibriwal »

Options - Create Link chrome-extension://gcmghdmnkfdbncmnmlkkglmnnhagajbm/options.html
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Link posting

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

First you need to install Chrome`s Create link extension.

Then navigate to chrome://extensions/ and click the Options link for the Create link extension. Click on the + item (it doesn't make it obvious that it's clickable) and you can add the BBCode name and format with the code

Code: Select all

[url=%url%]%htmlEscapedText%[/url]
Once that's done, on any website, you can right click in Chrome and there should be a Create link option in the menu.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Link posting

Post by kcowan »

(7) Link posting - Financial Wisdom Forum
and for the technically challenged, extensions to chrome are found by clicking on the 3 horizontal bars on the right side of the header line, and selecting More Tools and Extensions.

(thanks to PI and BS for this)
Last edited by kcowan on 29 Apr 2016 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
For the fun of it...Keith
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Link posting in Chrome

Post by Bylo Selhi »

rishitibriwal wrote:Options - Create Link chrome-extension://gcmghdmnkfdbncmnmlkkglmnnhagajbm/options.html
An oldie but still goodie ;)
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Bylo Selhi wrote:An oldie but still goodie ;)
That's where I learned about it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Link posting in Chrome - Create Link extension 0.5.1 broken

Heads up for those using the Create Link extension. There was an update to the extension today and it is causing problems.

a) the extension will be disabled and needs to be enabled (browser permissions)
b) the updated version, 0.5.1, seems to have broken it (see the Support tab)
c) sadly my additional formats seem to have been deleted, i.e. my BBCode format that is useful on phpBB forums is gone and I had to recreate it.

Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Busted here too. This is going to have a major impact on my post count until it's fixed :geek:

BTW this is the format I use with BBCode (e.g. this forum):

[URL=%url%]%text%[/URL]
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Bylo Selhi wrote: 20 Dec 2021 07:46 Busted here too. This is going to have a major impact on my post count until it's fixed :geek:

BTW this is the format I use with BBCode (e.g. this forum):

[URL=%url%]%text%[/URL]
Mine has always been:

Tip of the hat to LadyGeek on the Bogleheads forum. Try clearing your browser cache and restarting the browser. Both seem to be required for some reason.

I've got it working again now but I've had to recreate my custom formats.

Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 20 Dec 2021 07:49Mine has always been:

That works too. They're just variants based on how they handle certain special characters.
Tip of the hat to LadyGeek on the Bogleheads forum. Try clearing your browser cache and restarting the browser. Both seem to be required for some reason.
Yup, saved again by LadyGeek! :thumbsup: :ugeek: :beer:
I've got it working again now but I've had to recreate my custom formats.
I lost mine once before so now I have a backup stored in a text file.

P.S. For Firefox a similar extension is Link Text and Location Copier
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Bylo Selhi wrote: 20 Dec 2021 08:33 I lost mine once before so now I have a backup stored in a text file.
Me too. Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

I've done some searching and probably missed it, but has anyone figured how to re-order the Formats in Create Link, so their most commonly used one(s) are near the top, not in the order they were added?

Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 20 Dec 2021 08:42has anyone figured how to re-order the Formats in Create Link, so their most commonly used one(s) are near the top, not in the order they were added?
Yes. But you won't like it.
1. Delete all entries
2. Re-enter them from backup in desired order :twisted:
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Been there, done that. :(

Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

OTOH it's only necessary to do this once. Chrome's extensions synching feature then propagates the format customizations across all PCs on the LAN.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Create Link updated to Version 0.5.5 yesterday although the ku/CreateLink: Make Link alternative to chrome page shows Releases 0.5.1 (4 days ago).

I've noticed I'm impacted by First use of Create Link on a page returns the previous string · Issue #34 · ku/CreateLink, which requires Create Link twice on a page to get the link copied to Windows clipboard.

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re:Create Link extension 0.5.1 (and 0.5.5) broken

A Create Link user has posted a partial solution. From First use of Create Link on a page returns the previous string · Issue #34 · ku/CreateLink
griffen-stewie wrote:I notice that it works when I click the icon right next to omni box but run from context menu won't make it.
I've always relied on the context menu, i.e. right mouse click, to use Create Link.

After reading this I've unhidden the Create Link extension from browser toolbar, which is the icon right next to omni box that is referenced. I can confirm with CreateLink 0.5.5 this solution works for me in Chrome and Edge browsers.

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Now that we've got new BBCode I've added a new format to my configured links.

Media BBCode, defined as:

[media]%url%[/media]