Where are the usergroups and how do I join one?

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Where are the usergroups and how do I join one?

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Recent events indicate this might be helpful.

Logged in FWF members who check their User Control Panel->Usergroups see the standard phpBB message:
Usergroups enable board admins to better administer users. By default you will be placed in a specific group, this is your default group. This group defines how you may appear to other users, for example your username colouration, avatar, rank, etc. Depending on whether the administrator allows it you may be allowed to change your default group. You may also be placed in or allowed to join other groups. Some groups may give you additional permissions to view content or increase your capabilities in other areas.
followed by MEMBERSHIPS and NON-MEMBERSHIPS containing group names and descriptions. What does this all mean?

I'll try and explain beyond what's covered in the FAQ

There are two sections to the Groups page, the top section MEMBERSHIP shows which groups you currently belong to. The bottom section NON-MEMBERSHIPS shows groups that it possible for you to join.

The following groups exist on FWF.
  • Automatic - i.e. This is a special group, special groups are managed by the board administrators. This means there is no option to join (or resign).
    • Registered users - all users are part of this group. It gives you access to almost all of FWF. Membership is automatic and you cannot join or resign from this group.
    • Newly registered users - this special group handles members who've registered but haven't posted (enough). If you are a member of this group then some content and functionality is not available until you've made sufficient approved posts. Membership is automatic, once you've made sufficient approved posts the system automatically removes you from this group.
  • Optional - i.e This is a freely open group, all new members are welcome.. This means you can choose to join (or resign) from these groups.
    • Finance Only - Members can choose to join (or resign from) this group and it will make the Community Centre and Around the Watercooler forums invisible.
    • No Watercooler - Members can choose to join (or resign from) this group and it will make the Around the Watercooler forum invisible.
    • Watercooler please - Members can choose to join (or resign from) this group and it will make the Around the Watercooler forum accessible for you can read and post there.
    • Wiki editors - Members can choose to join (or resign from) this group and it will make the finiki lounge forum visible so you can read and post there.
Hopefully this clarifies our usergroups and their purposes.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Where are the usergroups and how do I join one?

Post by LadyGeek »

Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Now I understand what "Memberships" and Non-Memberships" means! And if you change your subscriptions, the different panels change places!

Would it not be more clear if the titles were "You are subscribed to" and "You are not subscribed to" ?

Not sure if this is intended - but you can subscribe to both "All including WaterCooler" and "Finance-only". I visualize an endless loop as the software tries to decided whether or not to send me a WaterCooler post :D.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Yes I fail to comprehend the difference between
No Watercooler
and
Watercooler?

I would prefer to see simple choices:
All Content
Finance only
Watercooler only?
For the fun of it...Keith
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

kcowan wrote:I would prefer to see simple choices:
All Content
Finance only
Watercooler only?
Or maybe, in an additive sense, ie Y/N to each:
Finance
Community Centre excluding WaterCooler
WaterCooler

The whole "Membership" / "Non-Membership" thing would then be redundant.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

pmj wrote:Now I understand what "Memberships" and Non-Memberships" means! And if you change your subscriptions, the different panels change places!

Would it not be more clear if the titles were "You are subscribed to" and "You are not subscribed to" ?
The wording comes from the forum software (phpBB) rather than our choices. The Image FAQ doesn't provide a lot of extra help, so we've tried to explain it and how it is used on FWF.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams