When something breaks (2016)

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

When something breaks (2016)

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Our hosting service had a major issue this morning, taking us offline for about 90 minutes. Service has now been restored.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: When something breaks (2016)

Post by Koogie »

Not sure if others are getting this but threads are taking a long time to load for me (say for a few days now).

Often get the "This site can’t be reached www.financialwisdomforum.org took too long to respond. ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT" error.

On both W10 and WXP machines, Chrome browser on both.
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

Koogie wrote:Not sure if others are getting this but threads are taking a long time to load for me (say for a few days now).
Same thing for me.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
poedin
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by poedin »

Likewise.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I agree there have been some ongoing issues the last few days. Anything from excessively long loading of pages to 'site not available'. No doubt a hosting server issue that the techies have not yet fixed. I suspect P_I is on their case.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

I'm actually glad others have reported the problem, I thought it might be something local to me. I can confirm what Koogie has reported, it's been happening to me for about the same timeline. It is being investigated and it does look suspiciously like an issue with our hosting provider. I"m chatting with them about it.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Win7 and Chrome too.
For the fun of it...Keith
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

There was definitely a problem at the hosting provider end and they indicated late yesterday afternoon that they had identified a problem and their admins were working on a fix. It seemed to me that things were improved and I wasn't getting the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT message from Chrome last night. I've had some slow connections this morning, but no ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT messages as of yet.

To those that reported the issue yesterday or may have seen it, were you still seeing it last night/this morning?

Using my techie toolbox, I'm still seeing a bit of the underlying issue again this morning, so I've poked their support line again.

Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Still having some issues intermittently.
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

About 2 days ago (perhaps 29 November), I received a "Gateway connection error" when attempting to edit finiki. Refreshing the page fixed the problem.

I didn't realize there was a host provider problem and should have reported it sooner. If I see more errors, I'll report them here.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

At 12:40: Error Bad Gateway. Resolved with one refresh.
At 12:41, when attempting to make this post: ERROR The requested URL could not be retrieved. This message was "internal" from work server. Resolved with one refresh.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I have also noticed some significant lags in loading pages from time to time yesterday and today. Me thinks our host has not got its problems fixed.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks to all. The situation is being monitored and your reports help provide data points.

Seems like we might be going through one of those "slightly unstable phases" with our hosting provider. Hopefully this too shall pass, and soon.

pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

12:29 & 12:31 "ERROR The requested URL could not be retrieved", twice, not in immediate succession, plus slow responses.
Peter

kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I have experienced many although it seems to be better lately.
For the fun of it...Keith
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Chuck »

I've encountered some delays in page loading. Hadn't had a time out until just one minute before this post. A comment I was going to make on the RIP thread failed to submit (then I was too lazy to re-type it). So another data point.

I cut and paste this one pre-submit button lest the gremlins take another run at me. :)
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

The text you type is saved in your browser. If the problem happens again, click on your browser's back button to retrieve the post content.

Then, copy-n-paste the post into a text editor (like notepad) for submission at a later time.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

From our hosting provider yesterday afternoon/evening/early this morning (i.e. about 3 am EST)
Currently experiencing network issues that are affecting a number of websites. Our team is working towards a resolution ASAP.

<snip>

We've identified routers that might be causing this disruption. We are actively troubleshooting and sincerely appreciate the patience.

<snip>

We have identified a packet filtering problem in our core routing layer.
For the non-techies in the crowd, this matches the reports of problems that you've been posting and the technical symptoms that I had been seeing and reporting to them.

From my perspective, responsiveness has been much better today and I haven't seen any of the connection issues that I had been experiencing (knocking on wood). It's probably a bit too early to declare the problem resolved, but so far so good AFAIK.

As always, if anyone is still seeing issues, please report them back here.

pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

19:27 Error Bad Gateway. Resolved with one refresh.
Peter