Problems with the "Remember me" checkbox

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Problems with the "Remember me" checkbox

Post by SQRT »

I seem to have lost the ability to quote a previous post. Also have to log in every time I open it up despite ticking the remember me button. What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 17 Feb 2015 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split topic to capture a specific problem
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Version 3.1 is alive!

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

SQRT wrote:I seem to have lost the ability to quote a previous post. Also have to log in every time I open it up despite ticking the remember me button. What am I doing wrong?
Nothing should have changed that would have caused these behaviours. What steps/buttons are you using to quote a previous post. I quoted your post using the Image button.

What browser are you using, on what OS?

The remember me button depends on a cookie being set on your computer. Has anything changed in your browser about cookie settings? Could you try the Delete all board cookies that appears in the footer and see if that changes anything.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

SQRT wrote:I seem to have lost the ability to quote a previous post. Also have to log in every time I open it up despite ticking the remember me button. What am I doing wrong?
Nothing should have changed that would have caused these behaviours. What steps/buttons are you using to quote a previous post. I quoted your post using the Image button.

What browser are you using, on what OS?

There is some new functionality in the User Control Panel, Manage “Remember Me” login keys that shows the sessions where you selected the "Remember Me" button. The forum software has always maintained this list, phpBB 3.1 just provides a new interface for you to manage it. Does the list contain items for the dates/times when you logged in?

The remember me button depends on a cookie being set on your computer. Has anything changed in your browser about cookie settings? Could you try the Delete all board cookies that appears in the footer and see if that changes anything.
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 16 Feb 2015 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add information about Manage "Remember Me" login keys
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Useful tips for using the forum software

Post by optionable68 »

Hello, I noticed in the last couple of weeks that I need to re sign-in to FWF every time I shut down my laptop. (yes I have "remember me" checked off)

Has something changed ?
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

SQRT wrote:Also have to log in every time I open it up despite ticking the remember me button.
Same issue here, Safari on ios. Tried the delete cookies link but no change.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

optionable68 wrote:Hello, I noticed in the last couple of weeks that I need to re sign-in to FWF every time I shut down my laptop. (yes I have "remember me" checked off)

Has something changed ?
We updated the forum software last Tuesday night, which definitely is a change. Although it shouldn't impact this functionality. A key question, was this happening before last Tuesday?

Any chance you've updated your browser software and/or OS recently? If so, about the same time you've noticed this? What OS/browser are you using? Do you log in from multiple computers? If so, is it only happening on the laptop?

optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 1/ A key question, was this happening before last Tuesday?
2/ Any chance you've updated your browser software and/or OS recently? If so, about the same time you've noticed this?
3/ What OS/browser are you using?
4/ Do you log in from multiple computers? If so, is it only happening on the laptop?
1/ This started happening once the FWF forum software was updated around a week ago
2/ Nope
3/ Windows Explorer
4/ Yes, laptop, desktop, tablet - same experience on each.

Not a big deal, but didn't need to re-log-in on any device previously. Wondering if I screwed something up
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

optionable68 wrote:Not a big deal, but didn't need to re-log-in on any device previously. Wondering if I screwed something up
Given that a few others are also reporting the same problem it does seem likely something has changed since the software was updated.

Anyone else experiencing this problem please report it here. Please include your OS and browser to see if we can detect a trend/pattern.

Dejavu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dejavu »

I need a tip to make the "remember me" button work. For about 2 weeks now I have had to constantly log back in. The button function is ng for me.
Dejavu.
Whatever you can do, or believe you can, begin it, for boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Problems with the "Remember me" checkbox

What browser and OS? Trying to find the pattern here.

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Can anyone experiencing this issue also check their User Control Panel, specifically Manage “Remember Me” login keys. Does it reflect your most recent logins when you checked the "Remember me" checkbox at login?

gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Can anyone experiencing this issue also check their User Control Panel, specifically Manage “Remember Me” login keys. Does it reflect your most recent logins when you checked the "Remember me" checkbox at login?
Yes, shows 9 login keys from last 3 days.

1. No
2. No
3. IOS 7, safari.
4. Yes, only happening on my iphone. Desktop running Win7 and IE seems to work fine.
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Remember Me stop working on my tablet. Android, Ice Cream OS.

Still works fine on my work desktop. Windows !! XP !!
Dejavu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dejavu »

Dejavu wrote:I need a tip to make the "remember me" button work. For about 2 weeks now I have had to constantly log back in. The button function is ng for me.
Dejavu.
Windows 8.
I think I had one time today when the rember me button has worked. before that and since then I still have to log back in.Dejavu.
Whatever you can do, or believe you can, begin it, for boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

FWIW, everything is working fine for me with IE9/Vista and the latest Firefox.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
rishitibriwal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rishitibriwal »

Had the same issue on a couple of browsers:
- BB10 (yes, I still use the BlackBerry :shock: )
- Chrome on the desktop with Windows 8.1

I have not had this happen earlier except when I haven't used that computer for a while.

I do use multiple computers (laptop/desktop/tablet and my BB) to access the forum.

Rishi
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Can anyone experiencing this issue also check their User Control Panel, specifically Manage “Remember Me” login keys. Does it reflect your most recent logins when you checked the "Remember me" checkbox at login?
Yes it reflects my last 4 most recent logins
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

I've had this issue for 3-4 weeks on my iPad, but not on either of my 2 computers (Windows 8 & Firefox on them).
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

People, check your old bookmarks. Make sure they reference the new domain:

www.financialwisdomforum.org

and not the old one:

www.financialwebring.org

I experienced the issue on one of my PCs. Updating the bookmark fixed the problem.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks. That is definitely one avenue that we've been investigating.

Dejavu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dejavu »

Bookmark corrected as advised, and problem has gone, thx. very much, Dejavu.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

ig17 wrote:People, check your old bookmarks. Make sure they reference the new domain:

http://www.financialwisdomforum.org

and not the old one:

http://www.financialwebring.org

I experienced the issue on one of my PCs. Updating the bookmark fixed the problem.
Thanks ig17, issue fixed for me.
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

ig17 wrote:People, check your old bookmarks.....I experienced the issue on one of my PCs. Updating the bookmark fixed the problem.
and
Nice catch ig17.... seems problem is solved. Thanks to you and PI for troubleshooting :thumbsup:
brucecohen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brucecohen »

I have to log in every time. Running Vista and Chrome. Here's what I've done, to no avail.
1. Deleted board cookies
2. Went to http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/ and then to forum index. Bookmarked it. Have done this several times. Each time the bookmark registered http://www.financialwebring.org/forum/index.php?sid=1ae87c24da55a98aa705a38224ffb4f0
3. Bookmarked http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/. Went to another site and then back. Clicked on forum. Again had to log on in order to post.

Every time I've gone to the forum index page it has already included my login info. Each time I checked Remember Me and hit Login. The system seems to remember me but does not automatically log me in.

I don't understand what Manage "Remember Me" login keys is and how it's supposed to be used.
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

I tried bookmarking the FWF site on my iPad again, in case I hadn't updated it. Same result as before - I'm remembered for 2 or 3 days but then it "forgets" me. It works fine on my computers, however, I mostly visit from the iPad.