Version 3.1 is alive!

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Version 3.1 is alive!

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:I'm not sure why the phpBB developers made that change. I know they've received some pretty strong feedback about it.

The workaround that I've used for years, create a bookmark for your favorite way of 'Viewing' and keep it handy in your browser bookmarks toolbar.

Good idea works well.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
eezee
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by eezee »

The info re last poster and date/time in the top left of a post is incorrect.

e.g. the snow tire thread shows 'springbok' and a time 11:?? am , there have been several posts since then
I am going to live forever .... so far so good.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

eezee wrote:The info re last poster and date/time in the top left of a post is incorrect.

e.g. the snow tire thread shows 'springbok' and a time 11:?? am , there have been several posts since then
Have you refreshed the page where you've been reading the info?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

eezee wrote:The info re last poster and date/time in the top left of a post is incorrect.

Can you post the link where you viewing this? A screen shot would be helpful.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
eezee
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by eezee »

I may have erred,..... will keep a better eye on it
I am going to live forever .... so far so good.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

You are looking at the original poster and post date/time, the latest post info is on the far right.

If on mobile and using the "unread posts" link, the info provided is for the thread starter rather than the latest post, unlike when browsing by forum. I posted about this upthread.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

The Notifications when someone quotes you works well. Not sure if it is new but thanks.
For the fun of it...Keith
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Keith, that is a new feature with 3.1. Good catch. Settings to enable/disable specific notifications are controlled via User Control Panel->Board preferences->Edit notification options.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
kumquat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kumquat »

The "remember me" button at login seems to forget me. Related?
I don't intend to offend anyone, that part is just a bonus.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

kumquat wrote:The "remember me" button at login seems to forget me. Related?
Have you read Problems with the "Remember me" checkbox and are you still using a bookmark to the old financialwebring.org domain?

leoc2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by leoc2 »

Can you place "Mark Forums Read" under the "Quick Links" menu? It is currently available from the "Board Index" screen.
kumquat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kumquat »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
kumquat wrote:The "remember me" button at login seems to forget me. Related?
Have you read Problems with the "Remember me" checkbox and are you still using a bookmark to the old financialwebring.org domain?
Was using the old http://www.financialwebr... changing to current url fixed it. thanks
I don't intend to offend anyone, that part is just a bonus.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

I've noticed the quick links -> active topics, doesn't get watercooler posts anymore.

newguy
Katou
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Problems with the "Remember me" checkbox

Post by Katou »

Hi

I cant seem to find the button that would let us only see the lattest post since i was last log in.

Is it still available..

Thks
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Katou wrote:I cant seem to find the button that would let us only see the lattest post since i was last log in.
I think that this post answers the question. Does it?

A reminder that we've written a Quick start guide for v3.1 that highlights the main user interface changes since the software was updated.

newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Actually, active topics isn't getting me any of the latest posts from any topic.

newguy

OK, I clicked refresh on the active topics and now they're there.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

The new forum doesn't seem to have adopted DST this morning, as announced in the first post in this thread. User Control Panel - Global Preferences is suggesting I change to UTC - 4.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

pmj wrote:The new forum doesn't seem to have adopted DST this morning, as announced in the first post in this thread. User Control Panel - Global Preferences is suggesting I change to UTC - 4.
There was/is a bit of configuration required on your part and I'll admit the forum software doesn't make it completely obvious how to do it.

Per my post (and Bylo's follow-up) in Daylight saving time
Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Peculiar_Investor wrote:Teaser, probably the last time you'll need to make this change.
Now that our forum software has been updated, members should go to User Control Panel->Board preferences and make sure that your timezone is up-to-date so that the system will handle future daylight saving time changes for you.

Go to Board preferences, My timezone the first drop-down box shows a guess (based on JavaScript) of your timezone and then you need to select a country/city pair from the second dropdown that reflects your location. I'm in Calgary, so I set it to America/Edmonton.
Board preferences - timezone.PNG
Board preferences - timezone.PNG (2.35 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
Based on your supplied information of UTC -4, I'm guessing your in Ontario, so you should set second dropdown set to America/Toronto.

Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Based on your supplied information of UTC -4, I'm guessing your in Ontario, so you should set second dropdown set to America/Toronto.
Also America/Iqaluit(*) and America/Pangnirtung, but strangely not Ottawa, Montreal, etc. Proof that Tronno is indeed the center of the universe? <ducks>

(*) At first I thought maybe that's because Nunavut doesn't go on DST but Google says they do. Strange.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

I recollect somone telling once that Hogtown time is really 35 minutes into the time zone ... so it's never accurate.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

The forum software was updated this evening to the current phpBB 3.1 dot release.

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

The forum software was updated this evening to the current phpBB 3.1 dot release.

There is a new feature in this release that some might find useful. When using View unread posts you will now find a "Mark all read" link.

We've also added a phpBB extension that allows users to collapse and minimise forum categories with a simple click. Notice the - or + at the end of each forum category. They look like:
Collapse.PNG
Collapse.PNG (914 Bytes) Viewed 3924 times
or
Uncollapse.PNG
Uncollapse.PNG (1009 Bytes) Viewed 3924 times
Collapsed forums are remembered for users and guests.

The screenshot below shows the Wiki and the ... And Your Life forum categories collapsed (click for big)
Member - collapsed.PNG
As always, if you think something has been broken, please report it in the topic When something breaks (2016).