Finiki on tablets

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Finiki on tablets

Post by longinvest »

Hi,

Somehow, there are missing (i) boxes when viewing in the mobile style.

Compare http://www.finiki.org/wiki/Risk_and_return under both styles. In the mobile style, the Principles are missing.

Happy New Year!
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Finiki on tablets

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Acknowledged and will investigate. Thanks.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

It isn't just us. Check out Wikipedia, for example the 21st century section of Encyclopedia and the mobile version Encyclopedia. Still investigating as this causes important finiki information to go missing on mobile devices, which is clearly not intended.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

In mobile view, the information box at the top of the page shows:
Image This page has some issues
which links to the correct content in a new overlay window titled "Issues." This is the wrong way to present the information and is very misleading.

The content should be:
Image This article expands on the historical data described in Portfolio design and construction (Asset Allocation, Risk, and Return 1972 - 2008) to demonstrate the concepts of risk, return, and diversification.
I'm using Chrome in Linux. I don't need to emulate a tablet (or mobile device) to see this. Just toggle the view (link at page bottom).

An addtional feature is that the left sidebar is totally missing in mobile mode. I expect it to appear in the top-left drop-down menu (3 horizontal lines), but all I get is the Home and Random page choices.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

The cause for the misleading information box has been identified. It is undocumented functionality to the MediaWiki software that implements the mobile view. A workaround has been implemented so that textual information in "Notices" (and "Warnings") will be properly displayed in both desktop and mobile view.