Which Search box do you use?

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself

If I need to search the forum, which search box do you primarily use?

Poll ended at 21 Dec 2014 10:49

Google Search
16%
Native Search
26%
Advanced Search
58%
I don't use search, I figure someone else will do it for me :wink:
No votes

Total votes: 19

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Which Search box do you use?

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Looking for some feedback on which of the search boxes the membership uses.

For prosilver board style users the choices are: Google Search or Native Search or Advanced search. For subsilver2 board style users the choices are: Google Search and Advanced search.

Please indicate which one you primarily use. It would also be helpful to understand why you pick one over the other choices.
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 21 Nov 2014 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarify that choices available depends on board style, prosilver or subsilver2
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Which Search box do you use?

Post by Shakespeare »

Google Search for financial because it's more efficient.

Advanced Search for non-financial because Google does not have access to WC.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

Can you explain the 3 search options. I know Google Search (at the top of the FWF web page), and I assume Native search is the forum search icon (below Google search and near the top of the FWF page), but what/where is Advanced search?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Arby wrote: but what/where is Advanced search?
It is the link* right under the words Native Search. It works much better (I start with Topic Titles only - try it 2 or 3 ways with different choices of words) and if that doesn't work, I move to Message and Topic and try again). FWIW, I only use Advanced Search.

* Added: At least in Prosilver forum format.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

AltaRed wrote:
Arby wrote: but what/where is Advanced search?
It is the link* right under the words Native Search. It works much better (I start with Topic Titles only - try it 2 or 3 ways with different choices of words) and if that doesn't work, I move to Message and Topic and try again). FWIW, I only use Advanced Search.

* Added: At least in Prosilver forum format.
I don't see such an option. My native Search has options for what you mention.
I use subsilver2.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Arby wrote:but what/where is Advanced search?
Which board style are you using? If you are using the prosilver board style, it is right under the two other search boxes. The direct link is http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/forum/search.php.

It gives you much finer control of using the forum software's search function. For example, I find I commonly use it to search for words in topic titles and then Display results as: Topics. This gives me a listing to topics that contain the search word. A specific example from recent postings, Topics containing 'executor' in their title.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

adrian2 wrote: I don't see such an option. My native Search has options for what you mention.
I use subsilver2.
Same for me.

So I use Native search, but I always use the options under Native search to narrow the search, which I guess is equivalent to using Advanced Search.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Arby wrote:Can you explain the 3 search options. I know Google Search (at the top of the FWF web page), and I assume Native search is the forum search icon (below Google search and near the top of the FWF page), but what/where is Advanced search?
I too only see two options. Google Search and Search. "Search" appears same as Advanced search seen on other forums. I use it and voted for it, but nowhere do I see the options in the poll.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

The poll is set up for Prosilver users. Y'all need to convert to Prosilver board style :wink: :P
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Shakespeare wrote:Google Search for financial because it's more efficient.

Advanced Search for non-financial because Google does not have access to WC.
ditto. But if I don't feel the need for advanced, I just use the regular mode. It's really the same thing.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

My apologies to the subsilver2 board style users. I'd forgotten that search box setups were different.

For subsilver2 users, please answer either Google search or Advanced search.

FWIW, the general purpose of this poll is to determine whether is the preference to the forum softwares search functions or Google's and to understand why members pick one over the other.

CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

I presume that I must be a subsilver2. Am I to assume that the box that says Search is really Advanced Search?
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I like the format of the Native search but it eliminates too many common search words, so then I am forced to use Google.
For the fun of it...Keith
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

If you are logged in, you can check your board style in User Control Panel -> Board preferences (direct link http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/forum/ucp.php?i=173) under My board style:

LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

I use Google. It's the box on top so that's what I use first.

Neither of these search engines includes finiki. Since one is looking for help on a topic, including a good reference source (finiki) would be highly useful.

Here's my hack of a google search: gummy Take a look at the URL of the first few hits. Would a forum search find it?

Here's another one: Norbert's Gambit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

I use both.
Advanced: search thread titles; search for a specific post by the poster name.
Google otherwise.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

Mostly advanced search. Quite often search in thread title. I'm on subsilver2.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

DenisD wrote:Mostly advanced search. Quite often search in thread title. I'm on subsilver2.
Ditto. And also on sub-silver
Regards,
Pickles
Tsuki
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tsuki »

I use Google search. I will have to try Native search.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Tsuki, a 'it's never too late to make your first post' :lol: welcome to FWF. Hope it won't take another number of years before your next post.