Mobile vs Full version

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Mobile vs Full version

Post by Springbok »

For some reason, when I log in, I get placed in the Mobile Version. Is there a way to make Full version stick? It always used to. Maybe I changed some setting?

When I log on from Playbook, even then, i would rather be in Full version. Software seems to sense I am on a mobile device and sometimes puts me in mobile version.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mobile vs Full version

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Springbok wrote:For some reason, when I log in, I get placed in the Mobile Version. Is there a way to make Full version stick? It always used to. Maybe I changed some setting?
What do you have set under User Control Panel->Board preferences (direct link when logged in is http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/forum/ucp.php?i=173) for "My board style"?
When I log on from Playbook, even then, i would rather be in Full version. Software seems to sense I am on a mobile device and sometimes puts me in mobile version.
The forum software does detect whether you are on a mobile device and selects either Mobile or full style. At the bottom on the screen is a link to switch styles, which will set a cookie that will retain your choice.

Further information is available here.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:The forum software does detect whether you are on a mobile device and selects either Mobile or full style. At the bottom on the screen is a link to switch styles, which will set a cookie that will retain your choice.

It doesn't work consistently. I also get directed to the mobile style several times a week on my Iphone although most of the time it correctly shows me the desktop version. Control panel setting is prosilver.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Springbok wrote:For some reason, when I log in, I get placed in the Mobile Version. Is there a way to make Full version stick? It always used to. Maybe I changed some setting?
What do you have set under User Control Panel->Board preferences (direct link when logged in is http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/forum/ucp.php?i=173) for "My board style"?
It is subsilver2_
The forum software does detect whether you are on a mobile device and selects either Mobile or full style. At the bottom on the screen is a link to switch styles, which will set a cookie that will retain your choice.

It seems the cookie does not stick. It could be due to a Firefox setting on my laptop.

I am currently on Playbook using a browser called Oragami and here choice to use full version has stuck.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Springbok wrote:It seems the cookie does not stick. It could be due to a Firefox setting on my laptop.
Thanks for the data point. What version of Firefox and OS are you using? Would you be willing to try resetting the cookie, via http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... bile=reset and see if the problem resurfaces.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Springbok wrote:It seems the cookie does not stick. It could be due to a Firefox setting on my laptop.
Thanks for the data point. What version of Firefox and OS are you using? Would you be willing to try resetting the cookie, via http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... bile=reset and see if the problem resurfaces.
I am away from that computer right now. One thing that came to mind, is that I use Adblock +. I seem to recall there being several options in Adblock re which cookies will be allowed. I will check that.

BTW, laptop has latest version of FF and Windows 7 64 Pro.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Ok, I found what is causing the problem. It is a setting in Firefox. Firefox provides several options re tracking cookies. If I choose "tell sites I do not want to be tracked" then I get the symptoms I mentioned. It seems a bit strange that tracking cookies have to be allowed, just to get the proper forum format.

This link shows this setting. It is under Tools/Options/Privacy.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

You can use "cookie controller" to accept cookies on a site-by-site basis. Also useful for looking at firewalled papers with a counter. :wink:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

I went back to the "do not want to be tracked" option, but this time everything is back to normal (even after a restart). So FWR must be saving settings somehow. Hopefully it will stay this way now.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Shakespeare wrote:You can use "cookie controller" to accept cookies on a site-by-site basis. Also useful for looking at firewalled papers with a counter. :wink:
Have no experience with it, but have added Ghostery. Seems like a very popular add-on.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Another data point:

If I do a Google search for Financial Wisdom Forum, I obviously get a number of hits. If I click on one of those when using FF, the site comes up in the mobile format. Went back to my saved desktop link to FWF and it opened in full version using same browser.

Tried same in Chrome and it comes up in mobile version.

Now when I went back to my desktop link, it is back in mobile :( and now it stays that way.

IE comes up in full version!

Playbook also comes up in full version.

Something strange here. The site does come up very briefly in full version, when first logging on, but then switches to mobile.

watched what happened when I entered url. It switched to:

Code: Select all

http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts&mobile=on
For some reason, that mobile=on gets added.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Google (and probably others) indexes using both a desktop and mobile agent and therefore the search results can be either. The mobile style that we're using is a partial solution to allow the forum to be usable on mobile devices. It isn't a perfect solution and your experience with Google search results is one of the downsides. I've encountered it many times myself.

A more current approach is responsive web design, but that's not currently :wink: available for our forum software.

Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Google (and probably others) indexes using both a desktop and mobile agent and therefore the search results can be either. The mobile style that we're using is a partial solution to allow the forum to be usable on mobile devices. It isn't a perfect solution and your experience with Google search results is one of the downsides. I've encountered it many times myself.

A more current approach is responsive web design, but that's not currently :wink: available for our forum software.
I did a little reading and checking. It seems that the problem has to do with the zoom level used. I have a 1920x1080 display. As a result, the desktop text is tiny unless zoomed. What I found, was that Full version of FWF loaded when zoom was set to 100% or 125%, but if I use 150% (which is best for me), then the mobile version loads. This response on Mozilla site explains it, I think:
Hi eyalnow, what I see in Firefox, Chrome, and Firefox Mobile is a responsive layout that varies depending on width. If you search in your style sheet (http://eyalnow.com/eyalnow/wp-content.../style.css) for 1260 you can see the media query which flips the layout for a document width of 1260px or higher.

That sound straightforward, but the measurement of page width (window.innerWidth) in Firefox 22 and later is different than in earlier versions because it is adjusted based on the zoom level, as part of Firefox's becoming a "DPI-aware" application. 1260 physical monitor pixels will be reported as a lower number if your zoom level is higher than 100%. For example, if the zoom level is 125%, it is reported as 1050 CSS layout pixels.

If you zoom up and down on the following play page, you can see how this new math works: http://dev.jeffersonscher.com/resolution.html

So... if you are viewing your site at a high zoom level and you want the "desktop" layout, what is the solution? One possibility is to leave it to the user to reduce the zoom level if they find the more compact layout to be too large for reading comfort. Another possibility is to experiment with additional variables to fine-tune the responsive behavior. I don't have enough experience to suggest how you might do that.
From this, it would appear that those of us with HD/wide screens will be flipped to mobile if we use a zoom level that is readable! But perhaps not if we use IE.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

Another solution to small text is to adjust the DPI scaling.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window ... i-scaling/
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

DenisD wrote:Another solution to small text is to adjust the DPI scaling.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window ... i-scaling/
Denis, that is what I already have done. I use 150% scaling to make desktop readable.

The problem is that the methods used by some websites to check if mobile version is needed or not can be confused by this scaling. They then display mobile version when it is not needed.

So far, FWF is the only site that I access that has this problem and only with FF or Chrome.

CORRECTION: As of right now, IE and Chrome are working correctly. No idea why Chrome now works other than I made it the default.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

One more data point.

I suspected problem was due to laptop having HD 1920x1080 screen. This resulted in need for scaling of text to make it readable. I used 150%. This however, caused a problem when using Firefox on FWF in that site opens in mobile mode.

My scaling was set at 150% (The choices are 100, 125, 150) There was no problem at 125% but text was too small (for me). Today, I created a custom scaling of 140% and now I no longer start up in the Mobile mode :thumbsup:

Don't know if this is a FF problem or a website problem, but if this fix works, problem solved.