I keep getting logged off?

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
HardWorker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

I keep getting logged off?

Post by HardWorker »

On my PC, iPhone, and Andriod I have to keep logging back in. I suspect this might be due to switching ISP, as it's a satellite service and I believe it doesn't have a static IP address. Or is something going on with the forum? Other sites I visit seem OK.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I keep getting logged off?

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Are you checking the ""Log me on automatically each visit" box for each device? If so, the forum software sets a cookie on the device that is used to keep you logged in. If the cookie is being deleted, then the automatic login stops and you'll have to login again. To the best of my knowledge, I don't believe that IP address is a factor in having the automatic login work. I travel with our iPad and can remain logged in after travelling between provinces and/or countries.

Nothing has changed with the forum software in recent months, so if this is something new it is worthwhile looking at changes in your usage/configuration. Does the problem occur if you just use one device to access the forum? When it does occur, what device was previously used, perhaps that will provide a clue.

Last fall there was a similar problem reported on the Bogleheads forum (they run the same forum software) that seemed to impact a small number of users. Like many computer problems, it appeared and then disappeared without a known solution.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
HardWorker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by HardWorker »

Yeah I click on automatic sign in, and oddly enough I have this problem when I switch to WiFi with the new ISP, switching over to 3G it doesn't require me to log back in.
peter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter »

I have the same problem, perhaps since a week or so, across chrome, safari and an ipad. All of these things auto-update software though, may be a change in how they handle cookies. Not really looking for a solution, just providing another datapoint and to reassure HardWorker he isn't crazy.
HardWorker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by HardWorker »

peter wrote:.....and to reassure HardWorker he isn't crazy.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

peter wrote: Not really looking for a solution, just providing another datapoint and to reassure HardWorker he isn't crazy.
Another data point is very helpful, thank you.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
HardWorker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by HardWorker »

I'm still having this issue, and it's annoying. The best I can do is keep a page logged on all the time, and then just hit New Posts, otherwise I'll get logged again.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with my satellite internet provider, and likely something to do with the massive lag time of 8-900 ms. Another forum I visit keeps me logged, but every time I hit search, it double registers and says I have to wait 10 seconds before searching again :(
Tropikdreamz55
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Tropikdreamz55 »

My name shows up on the main forum page as being logged in.

After responding to a post using the quote symbol, I am prompted to log in again, and lose all the text I entered.

I have taken to entering text into a Word document first, to ensure I don't lose it.

I get a message from the system saying that there is a redirect loop or the like.

I was only able respond by pasting the quoted material into my Word document, typing my own text, hitting the "reply" button, and then pasting in the quoted text along with my own.

I have no idea what or which computer is causing this, but thought I'd report it.
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Log yourself off. Delete all the board's cookies (link near bottom right of index page). Login again.

If that doesn't change the behaviour, logoff, delete the cookies, dump your browser's cache and then login.

Please report if either of those works, or not.

In some cases, it's your ISP that causes the problem. Or a corporate firewall if you're coming through one. Not much FWF can do about that.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.