When Something Breaks ... 2014

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: When Something Breaks ... 2014

Post by CROCKD »

Have had several problems connecting today- that's it the browser just says 'connecting' and then an ERROR -- including trying to post this.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Over the past couple of weeks our hosting provider has suffering sporadic "technical issues" that have impacted our websites. A reminder that we are on a shared server, so bad behaviour of other website owners can unfortunately impact us. We do track these issues and as required provide feedback to the hosting provider.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Time for a new hosting service.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Shakespeare wrote:Time for a new hosting service.
Completely agree.

It's not a typical day if I don't get the "page cannot be displayed" or "User finanl1_forum already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203] "

How many first time visitors get that message and hit the road for greener pastures.

Our server sucks.

ltr
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

Interuptions very bad this afternoon.

Just got back on to post this.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

Same here. In case it was a regional outage (network), this is the US East Coast - Philadelphia PA area.

More than a few minutes solid outage - and that's only because I didn't check earlier in the day.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

The management group and the admins (yours truly and Norbert) and we'll aware of the pattern and frequency of the recent problems. They are not acceptable and we're working with our hosting provider on getting them fixed, I'm in an online chat with them as I type this. We are also examining alternate solutions.

We appreciate your patience as we get this resolved.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Just to keep everyone in the loop, as you might have noticed, today has been another bad day. We've escalated the problem with our hosting provider and expect that they'll be moving us to another server within the next day or so. It is their hope that this will provide relief from the problems we've been encountering, although we must caution that the nature of shared hosting means they won't guarantee that the new server is flawless and responsive.

We've been down the route before, in April 2011, and as much as we'd like to plan and make this an orderly migration, on the previous move the hosting provider moved us without much advance notice.

So please take this posting as advance notice that there could be some hiccups over the next day or so as we try and get back to stable service.

DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

When I try to open FWF via Second Cup WiFi, I get the webpage unvailable screen shown below. If I switch to another WiFi provider, it works.

This has been going on for the past week or so.

Doesn't work at at least 3 Second Cups in Calgary.

Doesn't work on my Android phone and my friend's iPhone.

Not a big problem. But is there anything I can do about it?

Added: finiki.org and financialwebring.org don't work either.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-08-03-16-43-50.png
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Something unusual/broken about the domain name servers (DNS) that Second Cup uses.

I'm no expert and don't know offhand of a workaround. Bluehost locks up much of the web configuration so it's hard to see how one gets from the URL to the forum code and database, and one can't simply resort to an IP address because we're on a shared host and our IP address is used by about 3500 other domains.

One possibility is to download an app from the Play Store or iTunes that lets you force your device's DNS settings instead of relying on the default provided by the router to which you connect. I can't vouch for any particular app though. Perhaps another member has a good suggestion in that regard.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I have noticed this on my Android phone when the free wifi site wants me to confirm conditions via web page but never on my laptop where the page gets loaded correctly.
For the fun of it...Keith
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:Bluehost locks up much of the web configuration so it's hard to see how one gets from the URL to the forum code and database, and one can't simply resort to an IP address because we're on a shared host and our IP address is used by about 3500 other domains.
I wonder if Second Cup is trying to block inappropriate content at one of those other 3,500 sites and catches us inadvertently, perhaps by basing their block on IP address.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

I've complained about this many times before, but again lately, this site intermittently returns a 'timeout' or 'page cannot be displayed message'.

I don't have this problem with any other sites, regardless of the browser used. It's definitely a site problem.

I get no response for a while, but when I try later, it's OK.

I don't imagine this looks too good to new prospective members.

See the attached.
CaptureFF.PNG
CaptureIE.PNG
ltr
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I got a server message this morning for a change of pace. A one-line message. Maybe more or less severe?
For the fun of it...Keith
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

The gummy stuff Google search doesn't work. Perhaps points to wrong site.

http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/gum ... _stuff.htm
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Shakespeare wrote:The gummy stuff Google search doesn't work. Perhaps points to wrong site.

Works OK for me.

ltr
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

When I click on "gummy stuff" it doesn't work.

http://www.google.com/custom?domains=ww ... %3A1&hl=en
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Shakespeare wrote:When I click on "gummy stuff" it doesn't work.

http://www.google.com/custom?domains=ww ... %3A1&hl=en
When I enter "Gummy Stuff" into Google, I get this url, and it jumps to Gummy Stuff OK.

ltr
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Yes, but the search box doesn't work.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Shakespeare wrote:Yes, but the search box doesn't work.
aarrggghhh, OK, stupid me, I see what you mean now, sorry.

Yep, it doesn't work for me either.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (5.88 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
ltr
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

It doesn't work for me, either. I'll notify the management.

In the mean-time, use this: xirr site:www.financialwisdomforum.org/gummy-stuff - Google Search

Replace XIRR with your search term (unless you don't know what XIRR means).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Shakespeare wrote:The gummy stuff Google search doesn't work. Perhaps points to wrong site.

Thanks. I checked and it points to the correct site. Would it surprise anyone to learn that since the time that gummy implemented it, Google has changed their implementation. Some code rewrite is required at our end. I'll post an update when it is resolved.

Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

The issue with the gummy stuff Google search has been resolved.