When Something Breaks ... 2014

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
Administrator
Administrator
Administrator

When Something Breaks ... 2014

Post by Administrator »

Our hosting provider suffered a significant network outage this afternoon, knocking our sites offline for approximately two hours. Hopeful that they've got the problem resolved, but our fingers are crossed.

Happy New Year to all.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: When Something Breaks ...

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Maybe it's just my computer and it's not a big deal. When I read a thread and go back to "View new posts" it usually takes the colour out of the box to show I've read that thread. I actually need to click on "View new posts" again to have the box colour cleared.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

BRIAN5000 wrote:Maybe it's just my computer and it's not a big deal. When I read a thread and go back to "View new posts" it usually takes the colour out of the box to show I've read that thread. I actually need to click on "View new posts" again to have the box colour cleared.
Can you clarify "go back" and what browser? I presume you are using your browser's back button (or equivalent).

Does "usually" indicate that it has changed recently, if so how recently?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Seems like just the last few days could have been the upgrade to Explorer 10

Ahh using the browsers back arrow will not remove the highlight but using the "view new posts" will.

So if I use the browser back button the highlight stays then click "view new posts" it clears the highlight.

I thought before I could do both.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

When you click "View new posts" it will ask the server to generate the page and therefore the you should expect a change.

The back button is a whole different kettle of fish. I tried to use Google to find a standards document that describes what should happen, the closest I got (so far) was How does the Back button in a web browser work? - Stack Overflow. Essentially the back button looks at the cached version of the page and likely (depends on your browser and it's cache settings) won't reload the page from the server. Therefore you should expect to see the page the same way you left it.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

New login memory isn't working yet - I have to keep relogging in.

Also text seems different font.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Administrator
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Thanks. It is related to the cookie settings. We believe we have fixed it. See also the announcement that We've now the Financial Wisdom Forum.
The Management
Administrator
Administrator

Re: When Something Breaks ... 2014

Post by The Management »

If you can't log in under your old screen name, because you've forgotten your password or changed your email address since you joined, email us at help@financialwisdomforum.org. Please provide your original username and email address, even if no longer valid, so we authenticate you. We will send password resetting details to your new email address.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

BRIAN5000 wrote:Seems like just the last few days could have been the upgrade to Explorer 10

Ahh using the browsers back arrow will not remove the highlight but using the "view new posts" will.

So if I use the browser back button the highlight stays then click "view new posts" it clears the highlight.

I thought before I could do both.

I see this is still broken but that's ok. When I read to the bottom of a thread I use the browser back button otherwise I have to grab the slide bar drag it to the top then hit the "view new posts" two steps instead of just one. :roll:
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

BRIAN5000 wrote: I see this is still broken but that's ok. When I read to the bottom of a thread I use the browser back button otherwise I have to grab the slide bar drag it to the top then hit the "view new posts" two steps instead of just one. :roll:
I know what you mean, BRIAN5000. My attempt at a workaround: I put a link to my FWF unread page on my toolbar (Firefox) and Favourites bar (IE). Instead of scrolling up and hitting the view new posts, I just click the link on the toolbar. Still not as convenient as hitting the backspace key but much faster than scrolling.
Regards,
Pickles
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

I don't believe anything is broken, it is "normal" behaviour for the back button.
Peculiar_Investor wrote:The back button is a whole different kettle of fish. I tried to use Google to find a standards document that describes what should happen, the closest I got (so far) was How does the Back button in a web browser work? - Stack Overflow. Essentially the back button looks at the cached version of the page and likely (depends on your browser and it's cache settings) won't reload the page from the server. Therefore you should expect to see the page the same way you left it.
Pickles beat me to it, the quickest way that I know to do what you want is to have a toolbar link to "View new posts".

pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

I always use Right-click - Back - and the result has not changed. It's my understanding that the intention of that procedure is to save time / traffic by not refreshing the page. Some webpages disable right-click - which can be really annoying ....
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

pmj wrote:I always use Right-click - Back - and the result has not changed. ..
:thumbsup: and works the same when you have made a post or read 2 pages.
For the fun of it...Keith
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

Seeing a stack of coins icon where the quote button used to be in threads. That in itself is not an issue but any quoted text in a thread is overlaid with 2 stacked "post reply" buttons.

Started sometime this afternoon, using safari on iphone. Haven't checked desktop yet.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

gsp_ wrote:Seeing a stack of coins icon where the quote button used to be in threads. That in itself is not an issue but any quoted text in a thread is overlaid with 2 stacked "post reply" buttons.

Started sometime this afternoon, using safari on iphone. Haven't checked desktop yet.
Does this occur when using the desktop style or the mobile style on the iPhone? On my iPhone, using the mobile style, I don't see any coin icons (they normally appear in the navigation bar beside "Donate to FWF") or a quote button. Sounds like a cache issue if the wrong images are being displayed.

Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Sounds like a cache issue
For a stack of coins, undoubtedly. :wink:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Shakespeare wrote:
Sounds like a cache issue
For a stack of coins, undoubtedly. :wink:
Caching the cash? :lol:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Some might think I didn't see the pun before making it. :wink:
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Does this occur when using the desktop style or the mobile style on the iPhone? On my iPhone, using the mobile style, I don't see any coin icons (they normally appear in the navigation bar beside "Donate to FWF") or a quote button. Sounds like a cache issue if the wrong images are being displayed.
Desktop style, here's a screenshot.
Attachments
image.jpg
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

I've tried to reproduce it on my iPhone without success. Two things to try, what happens if you switch to Private mode? That should bypass the cache on your iPhone. If that works, then you might consider clearing the cache on your phone's browser. Does that fix the problem? Google turned up a variety of Apple links, seems to depend on which phone and which version of iOS.

gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

Thanks PI, will try those things and report back once I find the time to Google them. Suspect it has something to do with recent iOS update due to timing(under 24 hours). Iphone 4 now running iOS 7.0.6.
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

My iPhone 4 got iOS 7.1 this morning, maybe that will help?
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Things that make you go hmmm ....
gsp_ wrote:Desktop style
On an iPhone? Is your eyesight that good to actually read FWF on a smartphone using the desktop style? Why not use mobile style?

gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Two things to try, what happens if you switch to Private mode? That should bypass the cache on your iPhone. If that works, then you might consider clearing the cache on your phone's browser. Does that fix the problem?
Private mode worked. Didn't even have to clear cache once back in normal mode. Thanks.
On an iPhone? Is your eyesight that good to actually read FWF on a smartphone using the desktop style? Why not use mobile style?
Wouldn't say I have great eyesight but yeah, not a problem at all.

Don't have much experience at all with this site's mobile style. Generally speaking such styles cut down on features and information to accomodate larger font size and easier navigation. I value content over ease of use and font size is not an issue as mentioned above. Biggest drawback to using desktop style on an iphone is clicking small navigation links using my fat fingers but zooming in helps.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Glad it got resolved and thanks for closing the loop.