We're now the Financial Wisdom Forum

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Re: We're now the Financial Wisdom Forum

Post by parvus »

Wallace wrote:I feel wiser already! :)
That's just the whisky talking. :lol:
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

I was just telling a friend about FWF last week and he said "Webring? Do those still exist anymore? I remember them from the 90s."

And me too, I remember when webrings were a thing.

Glad you've gotten with the times :)
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I think I've got the favicon issue fixed on the server. Anyone still seeing the DIY icon? If so, does it still happen after you bypass your cache - Wikipedia?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

It shows up on the page tab. When I pull the page tab up to the toolbar the DIY reappears. When I delete and resave the toolbar link first a blank appears for the icon. A refresh brings the DIY back.

That's for http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/forum/ .
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Problem solved by downloading icon, resizing to 16x16, and adding the following to my FF chrome user css file:
/* ------------------------------ Bookmark Icons ------------------------------- */

.bookmark-item[label="Financial Wisdom Forum"] image { width: 0 !important; height: 0 !important; padding: 0 0 16px 16px !important; background-image: url("file:///C:/Downloads/fwficon.ico"); }

Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

These days many people run pop-up blockers or have set a feature in their browser to suppress pop-ups. If you exchange private messages (PMs) with other FWFers you may have previously allowed pop-up notifications from the financialwebring.org domain. With the domain change remember to now allow pop-ups from financialwisdomforum.org.

With Google Chrome, go to Settings -> Advanced -> Content management -> Pop-ups -> Manage exceptions, and add an entry for [*.]financialwisdomforum.org

With other browsers, DIY using Google Search.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

I'm still seeing the diy after bypassing the cache. IE and FF. I demand a refund! :lol:
Regards,
Pickles
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Shakespeare wrote:Problem solved by downloading icon, resizing to 16x16, and adding the following to my FF chrome user css file:
While appreciate you have created a workaround and shared it, members shouldn't have to take these steps. The onus is still on the FWF IT department :wink: to get this resolved. Stay tuned this is an OPEN trouble ticket.

@Bylo - thanks for sharing that information.

@Pickles - added your information to the OPEN ticket :wink:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

FWIW, I am still seeing the old DIY in my new bookmark on IE9, but the new icon in my bookmark on Chrome.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

AltaRed wrote:FWIW, I am still seeing the old DIY in my new bookmark on IE9, but the new icon in my bookmark on Chrome.
Me too!
Regards,
Pickles
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

AltaRed wrote:FWIW, I am still seeing the old DIY in my new bookmark on IE9, but the new icon in my bookmark on Chrome.
If you manually save the new address to your favourites the new icon will appear. Prior to doing that, I had to log in with each visit despite having my settings to automatic (log in). I ended up doing this with both Chrome and IE9 despite the redirect taking me to the new address.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

If you manually save the new address to your favourites the new icon will appear
When I do that in Chrome and FF (before I changed the FF css) the old icon magically reappears - despite clearing cache.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

New icon shown correctly in address bar of BB PB browser. :wink:
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

Also shown correctly in the bookmarks and address bar for: Linux (Firefox, Chrome) and Win 7 (Firefox, Chrome, IE 11).

Shakespeare - Let's try the brute force approach. What happens if you use a different profile (login) on your PC, like the Guest account?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

One further data point would be useful, particularly for those having problems with the favicon. Which board style are you using? FWF supports both prosilver and Subsilver2. It shouldn't make a difference which version you are using, but just in case it might provide another clue.

One other useful test, give it a try in your browser's private browsing mode. This should eliminate the cache and cookies from the equation.

Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Chrome now reloads to the toolbar with the correct icon for FWF and finiki - it didn't before. So I deleted the FF css mod; <s>it now works correctly too</s><s>went back to DIY again..</s>now blank. :roll:
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

P_I I use prosilver on IE and subsilver on FF. Still getting the DIY icon and I'm happy with that. It means more than the letter F which appears on Chrome (and on my Playbook!)
Regards,
Pickles
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

XP + IE8: cleared cache, tab icon updated itself, added "new" FWF to favourites bar - has new icon, seems to be sticky.

Win2k + FF12 - cleared cache, tab icon did not update, added "new" FWF in bookmarks toolbar - oes not have new icon, address bar also shows old icon.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

In the unlikely case anybody wants to force the Firefox toolbar to the new icon, this is how you do it (not recommended for casual users):

1. Right click to save the following image to your computer: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/kbetty/fwficon.ico
2. If FF, go to:

Help->
Troubleshooting Information->
Application Basics "Show Folder" button->
"chrome" folder

and open userChrome.css with Notepad or Wordpad.

At the bottom add the following code:

Code: Select all

/* ------------------------------ Bookmark Icons ------------------------------- */

.bookmark-item[label="Financial Wisdom Forum"] image { width: 0 !important; height: 0 !important; padding: 0 0 16px 16px !important; background-image: url("file:///C:/Downloads/fwficon.ico"); }
replacing "file:///C:/Downloads/fwficon.ico" with where you saved the icon.

Save the file and restart Firefox. A toolbar bookmark labeled specifically "Financial Wisdom Forum" should show the "F".
NormR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by NormR »

Is a big red F really the best icon for the forum? It's sort of like getting a failing grade ...
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

But where's the U? :rofl:
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

NormR wrote:Is a big red F really the best icon for the forum? It's sort of like getting a failing grade ...
That's one connotation.

Here's another (with possible political overtones.) On the left we have FWF. On the right we have Forbes magazine.
Image 5.jpg
Image 5.jpg (7.79 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Shakespeare wrote:But where's the U? :rofl:
hehe, I've always had the F-U in my bar.

It calls up Unread Posts......
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (3.85 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
ltr
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Why not change the colour to green? (Or green Fwf if it fits?)
For the fun of it...Keith
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

kcowan wrote:Why not change the colour to green? (Or green Fwf if it fits?)
I like the green idea.

ltr