We're now the Financial Wisdom Forum

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
Administrator
Administrator
Administrator

We're now the Financial Wisdom Forum

Post by Administrator »

FWF now stands for Financial Wisdom Forum and we have a new domain, financialwisdomforum.org.

The forum is now at http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/forum/, while finiki remains at http://www.finiki.org. Please update your bookmarks.

You are invited to read Relaunch of the FWF homepage | Financial Wisdom Forum for more information.

It is possible there may be the occasional glitches, if you see something unexpected or broken please post on this topic with the details.

PS. We still own the financialwebring.org domain and it will transparently redirect traffic to our new domain.

PPS. If you can't log in under your old screen name, because you've forgotten your password or changed your email address since you joined, email us at help@financialwisdomforum.org. Please provide your original username and email address, even if no longer valid, so we authenticate you. We will send password resetting details to your new email address.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: We've now the Financial Wisdom Forum

Post by kcowan »

Well done. It has a clean modern look. :thumbsup:

One thought. Should we identify that many of our members believe in LBYM and generally live relatively frugal lives. Or should we just let new members discover that for themselves.

I think of this as an expended section on who we are and how we got here and what keeps us coming back.
e.g. how many have DB pensions?
how many are retired executives?
how many worked in the financial industry?
For the fun of it...Keith
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

kcowan wrote:Well done. It has a clean modern look. :thumbsup:
+1
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

In the haste to change the name and font, instances of "Welcome to the Financial Webring Forum" still lurk in stickies and key threads. Additionally,the management should seize this opportunity to update the Financial Planning stickies and archive long, out of date threads or at least, clip them.

Some suggestions:

The Forum Rules need a "search and replace" to change the Financial Webring Forum to Financial Wisdom Forum.

Update forum name in http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 9&t=116284,

One of the old, long stickies need a military haircut. Eg. http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 3&t=101893 (take out the first 15 pages of out of date links) ,

The first three posts in the sticky on finding an existing stock thread make no sense. They appear to have been taken from another thread, mid-discussion. Scomac's post should be the first in the thread. Or else, the advice (minus the link to some member's stock picks :roll: ) should be combined into one succinct post.

The sticky on Financial Planning needs major and minor work. There are many dead links that should be removed or fixed throughout its posts, including all of the "chapter" links -- none work, also links to the now-defunct webring should be removed, and the list of EFTs updated (it's missing the BMO and Canadian Vanguard products, for example). Management should review and update annually and the initial post in the thread should indicate when the information was last updated.

I like the idea of the new "home page" for the FWF, especially the word cluster. However, clicking on the work cluster takes you to a 404 page. May I suggest that the word cluster link to the index page of our forum? Also, since the home page mentions it's a "relaunch" it should also include the info that the FWF has been helping DIY investors since 2005. I strongly suggest that a few testimonials culled from member posts be prominent on the home page. I would be happy to find 3 or 4 to contribute if the management accepts this recommendation.

The highlighting of links disappears, once they are clicked. If the viewer returns to the home page, the link is invisible. That should be fixed.

The "about us" section currently regurgitates the text on the home page. I think it should be short and contain a)contact information for contacting management and the legal disclaimer plus repeat that it is a private, non-commercial organization.

The unexplained links to Boglehead are puzzling. If a visitor clicks on it, he/she is taken to an American forum, that is not focused on Canadian investors. . Similarly, under the top menu item "links", the first item is "Gummy-stuff archive". Then Bogleheads again, a webpage of a professional financial advisor (aren't we non-commercial?) and a consumer rights journalist (???) Do these really reflect the most important links that are so key we want to put them on our home page?? Personally, I don't think there should be ANY outside links at all on the home page. The home page should be short, clear. direct and on point. Since we have a special relationship with Boglehead, perhaps a box with "For DIY Investing in the USA, see our sister forum Bogleheads" but only to the forum, not the US wiki. This home page is about us; it shouldn't be directing people elsewhere.

I realize that change is never easy. We were discussing getting rid of the webring years ago when I was on the management team. Now it's gone from the formal name of FWF but still existing, here and there, in posts, links and -- more importantly -- the mindset of management. While a new name and font is a beginning, it really needs to be accompanied by at least a minor bit of cleaning and staging to update the content and focus.

I hope you find these comments helpful.
Regards,
Pickles
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Pickles wrote:In the haste to change the name and font, instances of "Welcome to the Financial Webring Forum" still lurk in stickies and key threads. Additionally,the management should seize this opportunity to update the Financial Planning stickies and archive long, out of date threads or at least, clip them.

Some suggestions:

The Forum Rules need a "search and replace" to change the Financial Webring Forum to Financial Wisdom Forum.

Update forum name in viewtopic.php?f=29&t=116284,
Thanks. We are aware there are many references in posts. The links will continue to work as the financialwebring.org domain transparently redirects to our new domain. Fixing the links and references to Financial Webring Forum is on our to do list.
However, clicking on the work cluster takes you to a 404 page. May I suggest that the word cluster link to the index page of our forum?
Thank you. Quick fix, it no longer gives a 404 page and now reloads the home page. Need time to contemplate the suggestion for the landing point.

We'll work through the other suggestions over the course of the next few days. Once again, thank you the comments are very helpful.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

I hope this does not mean that those of us who do not meet the bar of wisdom will face the internet equivalent of ethnic cleansing and be sent to the Financial Witless Forum as a result! :P
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Or the Financial Wankers Forum.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Everyone here should give themselves credit. The Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines Wisdom as:
: knowledge that is gained by having many experiences in life

: the natural ability to understand things that most other people cannot understand

: knowledge of what is proper or reasonable : good sense or judgment
With the additional kudo that you're willing to share that experience and knowledge to help others. :thumbsup:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
rishitibriwal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rishitibriwal »

Nice clean look. Fantastic!!
poedin
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by poedin »

rishitibriwal wrote:Nice clean look. Fantastic!!
:thumbsup:
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: We're now the Financial Wisdom Forum

Post by like_to_retire »

Looks great. Love the new name. Never really liked the old name.

I notice that my favourites bar on FireFox updated to the new favicon.ico, but Intenet Explorer 11 did not.

I had to save-to favourites bar in IE11, and then delete the old link in the favourites bar of IE11 to get the new favicon displayed.

Before I deleted the old links in the favourites bar I took a snapshot. See below.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (5.96 KiB) Viewed 4250 times
Why doesn't IE automatically update the favicon.ico file? Is there something that was missed on the server?

ltr
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

like_to_retire wrote:I notice that my favourites bar on FireFox updated to the new favicon.ico, but Intenet Explorer 11 did not.
Thanks. We'll need to investigate.

SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

I was pleasantly surprised when I came here this afternoon! Funny how a difference in one word had me questioning whether I was in the appropriate place or not :)

Well done!
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

Looks good. :thumbsup:

- Remember to add financialwisdomforum.org to your browser cookie whitelist or you'll have to keep logging in.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I don't get the new icon at all in FF25.01.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Shakespeare wrote:I don't get the new icon at all in FF25.01.
Can you try re-loading the page. My datapoint is that it works for me with FF 26.0 on Windows 7.

like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Shakespeare wrote:I don't get the new icon at all in FF25.01.
I am using Windows 7 and FireFox 26.0 and the new favicon.ico over-wrote the old 'DIY' favicon without intervention.

On IE, it required a save-to-favorites to get it to show up.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (6.99 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
ltr
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Had to clear FF cache. Now works on tab but not on bookmark tab.

Added: did you change it in the /forum directory?
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Shakespeare wrote:Had to clear FF cache. Now works on tab but not on bookmark tab.

Added: did you change it in the /forum directory?
Thanks for the update. Added: Yes.

IIRC, I ran into the bookmarks one, because I hadn't updated the bookmarks to point to financialwisdomforum.org. Had some of the same type of issues with Lastpass.

Reading Favicon - Wikipedia seems to indicate that what should be simple across all the browsers, not so much!

That all said, please continue to report the issues and we'll work on fixing them.

longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

scomac wrote:
kcowan wrote:Well done. It has a clean modern look. :thumbsup:
+1
+2!!
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

Pickles wrote:Then Bogleheads again, a webpage of a professional financial advisor (aren't we non-commercial?) and a consumer rights journalist (???) Do these really reflect the most important links that are so key we want to put them on our home page?? Personally, I don't think there should be ANY outside links at all on the home page. The home page should be short, clear. direct and on point. Since we have a special relationship with Boglehead,
We also have a longtime relationship with Ellen Roseman and James Hymas, through the former webring, and we would like to maintain that and indeed, expand it to other financial bloggers, because, as we all know here, no one person is the compleat expert. With links to and from bloggers, we can expand our community and better share our knowledge.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

Pickles wrote:The sticky on Financial Planning needs major and minor work.
Is this even necessary now? The information should be in finiki.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

DenisD wrote:
Pickles wrote:The sticky on Financial Planning needs major and minor work.
Is this even necessary now? The information should be in finiki.
I think it should be in both places. Finiki is (and always will be) a work in progress. Most people who come to the forum do not read finiki first. It's good to be able to grab folks wherever they come to and Norbert's "stickies" do that. They are very useful and well written.

The language level in finiki is more technical than the informal language of the forum. It goes into greater detail. There are definitely times when members should be (and are) directed to finiki for further education bu there is value in having these stickies, and other threads on HISA's and GICs and so forth as a starting point for people who come to the forum first.

You're right, DenisD, that in a perfect world, people would read finiki and only come to the forum for the occasional clarification or foray into economic policy discussions. But we live in an imperfect world and, quite frankly, we learn best from each other, not top down. While finiki is an important resource, the forum is essential, too.
Regards,
Pickles
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

parvus wrote:
Pickles wrote:Then Bogleheads again, a webpage of a professional financial advisor (aren't we non-commercial?) and a consumer rights journalist (???) Do these really reflect the most important links that are so key we want to put them on our home page?? Personally, I don't think there should be ANY outside links at all on the home page. The home page should be short, clear. direct and on point. Since we have a special relationship with Boglehead,
We also have a longtime relationship with Ellen Roseman and James Hymas, through the former webring, and we would like to maintain that and indeed, expand it to other financial bloggers, because, as we all know here, no one person is the compleat expert. With links to and from bloggers, we can expand our community and better share our knowledge.
I agree absolutely, but our home page is the wrong page to do this. Also, until we have more than a handful of sites to recommend, it looks like favourtism. First, gather an annotated list of worthy links. Then, put it in finiki and on the forum. But not on our home page (imho!).
Regards,
Pickles
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

I feel wiser already! :)
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2