Posts / Day on FWF

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Posts / Day on FWF

Post by newguy »

I'm just wondering if I'm wasting time and or bandwidth.

Code: Select all

Username                 Posts Posts/day
Bylo Selhi               13180      8.15
Shakespeare              10153      6.28
kcowan                    5120      4.30
Nemo2                     5130      3.96
brucecohen                5954      3.69
AltaRed                   5862      3.67
WishingWealth             5317      3.31
parvus                    5118      3.17
yielder                   4867      3.01
Norbert Schlenker         4659      2.88
arthur                    4569      2.83
Mike Schimek              1631      2.61
ghariton                  4156      2.57
worthy                    3874      2.46
BRIAN5000                 1806      2.33
adrian2                   3629      2.25
uhoh                      2889      2.18
dakota                    3218      2.00
Taggart                   2595      1.96
scomac                    2976      1.84
pitz                      2475      1.82
marty123                  1480      1.68
augustabound              1329      1.55
c emptor                  2349      1.46
Dennis                    2310      1.45
NormR                     2305      1.43
patriot1                  2228      1.39
Jo Anne                   2237      1.39
Brix                      2229      1.38
lystgl                    1638      1.36
steves                    2132      1.33
gummy                     2142      1.33
blonde                    2089      1.29
YogiBear                  1481      1.28
Gus                       1866      1.17
Springbok                 1833      1.16
tidal                     1214      1.11
bubbalouie                1396      1.05
IdOp                      1287      1.03
tedster                   1644      1.02
biker                     1565      0.97
millergd                  1255      0.97
Wallace                   1245      0.94
George$                   1508      0.93
like_to_retire            1485      0.92
beaverlodge               1391      0.87
randomwalker              1243      0.80
chiaroscuro               1225      0.78
Peculiar_Investor         1220      0.76
DanH                      1158      0.72
I'm at 2.43, but have no way to judge quantity vs quality.

newguy

ps. this is only from the first page of the memberlist
Nemo2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Nemo2 »

Wow...since I'm up near the top it has to be a case of quantity vs quality.......(with quality losing). :shock:
Exit, pursued by a bear.
William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Posts / Day on FWF

Post by Bylo Selhi »

newguy wrote:I'm just wondering if I'm wasting time and or bandwidth.
You mean by posting this list? :lol:
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
WishingWealth
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by WishingWealth »

newguy:
You should see the parties when we hit 5000.
Balloons, bubbly you name it. Just hang in here.

As for quantity vs. quality I believe it was Uncle Jos (Stalin) who said:

Quantity has a quality all its own.
(He was talking about the thousand and thousand of cannons that the Red Army possessed.

BTW: The quote was attributed to Khrushchev, Lenin, Stalin ... or to a certain Mr. Fedorov but this last one was was dispatched so the Uncle Jos could claim paternity to the saying.

WW
blonde
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by blonde »

I stick to the 'FACTS' with Pure-Quality...always presenting the Executive Summary. NO BS...The FACTS ma'am...just the FACTS...Pure FACTS...

Study the SYSTEM...

Do not be surprised to learn that Pitch-Persons prefer Quantity...that's 'eir Game, and that is a darn good thing for wannabees.

Deja-vueing is a Skilled Sport in this day and age with the New World Order dictating the orders.

Everybody's in Sales.

Don't Trust Anyone.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple...Dr Seuss

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind...Dr Seuss
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

WishingWealth wrote:Quantity has a quality all its own.
(He was talking about the thousand and thousand of cannons that the Red Army possessed.
"Some people say" he was talking about something else altogether.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I dunno.

I suspect the rate of posting has to do with interest and a desire to contribute. Also available time with those working naturally lower.
For the fun of it...Keith
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

WishingWealth wrote:newguy:
You should see the parties when we hit 5000.
Depending on mood, 1000 posts takes a year or more, to the degree one desires to contribute something. The milestone 5000, takes about four years — to the degree one feels the need to defend or expand what one has contributed. But that's just me looking back on my experience. :wink:
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

This is my 5000th post

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Resurrecting an old topic, but it seems like th most appropriate place ...
WishingWealth wrote:You should see the parties when we hit 5000.
Queue the balloons and bubbly then, because this is 5000 for me. When I think back to when I joined here and the trepidation of making the first few posts. Would they make any sense at all? Would someone actually have any interest to help a newcomer and answer my questions? What are all the rules that I need to follow? I would never have guessed that I'd reach 500 posts, let alone 5000 (and counting).
parvus wrote:The milestone 5000, takes about four years
For some :wink: Nine and a half years for others.

But seriously, I came to FWF from TWB and Fund Library because of the quality of the membership and high signal-to-noise ratio. Who would have know that years later I'd be passing 5000 posts and would be involved in running the place. For that I blame AltaRed and Norbert. But it is absolutely a labour of love. I'm giving back to all those that have helped me understand the importance of reducing my investment costs to a bare minimum and slowly watch the fruits of my investments grow.

I've learned so much from the veterans, yielder, Norbert, Shakespeare, Bylo Selhi and scomac come immediately to mind, but there are numerous others, in reality the full member list! I continue to learn, both from the veterans but just as importantly from the newcomers. It is the newcomers asking questions, or offering alternate viewpoints that give cause for me to reflect on what I think I know, what additional research/reading might be educational. Many times I've discovered new information when researching how to answer another member's question, so in addition to helping them, I'm helping myself. A win-win!

A few other random thoughts. I continue to scan and re-read old topics, particularly those from the 2008-09 periods. There are many nuggets of information hidden in the 400,000+ posts here. The finiki editors have made efforts to collect some of the knowledge into wiki articles, that remains a work in progress and could certainly use more help. Hint! Hint! If you haven't taken the opportunity to spend some time digging around in the old topics/posts I would highly recommend you give it a try. You never know what you'll find. Heck, you might even find some of my first, very uninformed posts :lol: Darn the 48 hour edit/delete rule. Watercooler aside, there is a vast storehouse of collective knowledge here and on the wiki. If I may offer an recommendation. Don't always spend your time looking at the new posts and active topics, you'll miss much of the what FWF has to offer.

FWF is an incredible community, I'm clearly biased but it is the best Canadian financial website by far. Completely untainted by commercial interests and ads. Crowdsourcing of financial knowledge for those willing to make the effort to engage and contribute. The signal-to-noise ratio and quality of membership remains high IMHO, thanks to all of you.

Sincerely,
Peculiar_Investor
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

Congrats P_I

Or as WW would have put it:
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I would also like to single out bylo. He has an enormous capacity to share information and energy on more esoteric topics for people that need it. As a founder of FWF, he retains his enthusiasm (provided he is not on a European mountain out of range).
For the fun of it...Keith
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: This is my 5000th post

Post by Koogie »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:A few other random thoughts. I continue to scan and re-read old topics, particularly those from the 2008-09 periods. There are many nuggets of information hidden in the 400,000+ posts here. The finiki editors have made efforts to collect some of the knowledge into wiki articles, that remains a work in progress and could certainly use more help. Hint! Hint! If you haven't taken the opportunity to spend some time digging around in the old topics/posts I would highly recommend you give it a try. You never know what you'll find. Heck, you might even find some of my first, very uninformed posts :lol: Darn the 48 hour edit/delete rule. Watercooler aside, there is a vast storehouse of collective knowledge here and on the wiki. If I may offer an recommendation. Don't always spend your time looking at the new posts and active topics, you'll miss much of the what FWF has to offer.
I have two questions. Probably better put into an Ask the Owners or similar thread but since you brought up the subject of old topics...
(I have already looked in the FAQ for answers, so if I am wasting your time I apologize).

1. Is there a way to save/bookmark/highlight individual posts ? Sometimes nuggets of wisdom are buried in threads that are pages and pages long. Currently I just print them off and save them in a file folder but is there a better online way within the forum itself ?

2. I just became aware that you can bookmark threads when I finally noticed the tiny little icon at the bottom of the screen (yes, I am slow on the uptake). I couldn't find the subsequent bookmarks but then realized they are listed in a sub-folder of the Control Panel. Is there any way to make bookmarking more prominent ? Both in the ease of doing it and then finding the subsequent list ? I realize this forum is probably more or less off the shelf software so probably not. But, you don't ask, you don't know.
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: This is my 5000th post

Post by LadyGeek »

Koogie wrote:1. Is there a way to save/bookmark/highlight individual posts ? Sometimes nuggets of wisdom are buried in threads that are pages and pages long. Currently I just print them off and save them in a file folder but is there a better online way within the forum itself ?
Sorry, I just saw this thread. Yes, you can bookmark individual posts. The top left corner of each post has a small broken box. Clicking on that box will jump to the post and change the URL in your browser.

For example, P_I's 5000th post has this:

Image by Peculiar_Investor » 10Dec2014

Clicking on the white box will jump to his post, which can be bookmarked. (I missed the 5000th post as well. Congrats!)
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

My 10,000th post, thanks everyone for all you contribute to FWF

Given this is now my 10,000 post I was trying to think of what I could add to the post below (my 5000th). About the only obvious thing is the next 5000 posts took just under six years. And now there are 560,000+ posts here, so we're still going strong.
Peculiar_Investor wrote: 10 Dec 2014 20:51 Resurrecting an old topic, but it seems like th most appropriate place ...
WishingWealth wrote:You should see the parties when we hit 5000.
Queue the balloons and bubbly then, because this is 5000 for me. When I think back to when I joined here and the trepidation of making the first few posts. Would they make any sense at all? Would someone actually have any interest to help a newcomer and answer my questions? What are all the rules that I need to follow? I would never have guessed that I'd reach 500 posts, let alone 5000 (and counting).
parvus wrote:The milestone 5000, takes about four years
For some :wink: Nine and a half years for others.

But seriously, I came to FWF from TWB and Fund Library because of the quality of the membership and high signal-to-noise ratio. Who would have know that years later I'd be passing 5000 posts and would be involved in running the place. For that I blame AltaRed and Norbert. But it is absolutely a labour of love. I'm giving back to all those that have helped me understand the importance of reducing my investment costs to a bare minimum and slowly watch the fruits of my investments grow.

I've learned so much from the veterans, yielder, Norbert, Shakespeare, Bylo Selhi and scomac come immediately to mind, but there are numerous others, in reality the full member list! I continue to learn, both from the veterans but just as importantly from the newcomers. It is the newcomers asking questions, or offering alternate viewpoints that give cause for me to reflect on what I think I know, what additional research/reading might be educational. Many times I've discovered new information when researching how to answer another member's question, so in addition to helping them, I'm helping myself. A win-win!

A few other random thoughts. I continue to scan and re-read old topics, particularly those from the 2008-09 periods. There are many nuggets of information hidden in the 400,000+ posts here. The finiki editors have made efforts to collect some of the knowledge into wiki articles, that remains a work in progress and could certainly use more help. Hint! Hint! If you haven't taken the opportunity to spend some time digging around in the old topics/posts I would highly recommend you give it a try. You never know what you'll find. Heck, you might even find some of my first, very uninformed posts :lol: Darn the 48 hour edit/delete rule. Watercooler aside, there is a vast storehouse of collective knowledge here and on the wiki. If I may offer an recommendation. Don't always spend your time looking at the new posts and active topics, you'll miss much of the what FWF has to offer.

FWF is an incredible community, I'm clearly biased but it is the best Canadian financial website by far. Completely untainted by commercial interests and ads. Crowdsourcing of financial knowledge for those willing to make the effort to engage and contribute. The signal-to-noise ratio and quality of membership remains high IMHO, thanks to all of you.

Sincerely,
Peculiar_Investor

To assist others, I've added links to their posts for each of those named above.

I guess all that is left to say is to repeat myself, FWF is an incredible community. I'm clearly biased but it is the best Canadian financial website by far. Completely untainted by commercial interests and ads. Crowdsourcing of financial knowledge for those willing to make the effort to engage and contribute. The signal-to-noise ratio and quality of membership remains high IMHO, thanks to all of you.

Each member, whether you are a newcomer asking questions or someone who's been around awhile and still is sharing their knowledge, is jointly responsible for the success of FWF and this very strong and insightful community. I continue to learn new things each and every day. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Peculiar_Investor
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: My 10,000th post, thanks everyone for all you contribute to FWF

Post by LadyGeek »

Congrats on post 10k! :thumbsup:

I'll break out the balloons and bubbly for you.

🎈 🎈 🎈 🍾 🍾 🍾 🥂 🥂 🥂 🎈 🎈 🎈
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Indeed! Quality posts at that without groveling in Watercooler much, if at all! You should be tipping one in a pub but that is risky these days....
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

Way to go P_I! :thumbsup:

Might be interesting to see a list of the top posters in the Your Money section of the forum.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

AltaRed wrote: 26 Nov 2020 11:28 Indeed! Quality posts at that without groveling in Watercooler much, if at all!
Thanks. FWF has been a kinder, gentler place since I joined the 'No Watercooler' group a while back.
AltaRed wrote: 26 Nov 2020 11:28You should be tipping one in a pub but that is risky these days....
Like this one :lol:

Hard to believe it we last did a Beer in Calgary in 2012. 2021 seems like a good target the next one!

AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 26 Nov 2020 11:39 Hard to believe it we last did a Beer in Calgary in 2012. 2021 seems like a good target the next one!
That seems like a good plan. Maybe after covid vaccinations with 'proof' cards to prove it?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

DenisD wrote: 26 Nov 2020 11:33 Might be interesting to see a list of the top posters in the Your Money section of the forum.
Administrators have special toolsets :ugeek: (and skills). :ugeek:

Do you mean something like this :ugeek: that shows anyone with over 1000 posts in Your Money ... up until November 7th.*

Code: Select all

AltaRed             19306
Shakespeare         11823
Bylo Selhi          11699
adrian2             9569
kcowan              9170
ghariton            6525
BRIAN5000           6121
Peculiar_Investor   5712
brucecohen          5653
Norbert Schlenker   5223
Taggart             5037
scomac              5015
parvus              4196
newguy              4075
like_to_retire      3687
yielder             3527
Springbok           3525
patriot1            3478
IdOp                3468
deaddog             3142
longinvest          2962
SQRT                2868
pitz                2814
NormR               2771
JaydoubleU          2657
queerasmoi          2585
ig17                2528
arthur              2487
2 yen               2420
Flaccidsteele       2328
Mike Schimek        2317
George$             2305
DenisD              2295
Pickles             2231
Arby                2161
Thegipper           2121
randomwalker        1966
DanH                1943
Sensei              1899
marty123            1897
Nemo2               1835
WishingWealth       1818
pmj                 1773
steves              1744
DavidR              1641
gsp_                1630
dakota              1593
StuBee              1565
twa2w               1563
izzy                1494
CROCKD              1443
Koogie              1414
Jo Anne             1386
ockham              1377
bubbalouie          1364
OnlyMyOpinion       1354
lystgl              1336
tedster             1295
jiHymas             1295
Eclectic12          1287
uhoh                1253
Park                1245
worthy              1236
blonde              1225
Descartes           1207
chiaroscuro         1205
Insomniac           1174
Wallace             1147
HardWorker          1143
gummy               1109
optionable68        1100
martingale          1088
mw                  1071
biker               1060
nisser              1050
SoninlawofGus       1027
brad911             1026
Spidey              1023
---
* Using nightly backup data from that date.

DavidR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DavidR »

Congrats P_I. And thanks for those "Welcome to FWF" posts :thumbsup: that you so often offer to newcomers.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

Thanks P_I. That's exactly what I mean.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

DenisD wrote: 26 Nov 2020 13:39 Thanks P_I. That's exactly what I mean.
Even formatted like your screens' posts. :lol:

scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

AltaRed wrote: 26 Nov 2020 11:58
Peculiar_Investor wrote: 26 Nov 2020 11:39 Hard to believe it we last did a Beer in Calgary in 2012. 2021 seems like a good target the next one!
That seems like a good plan. Maybe after covid vaccinations with 'proof' cards to prove it?
Better make it 2022 then... :?
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830