finiki, the Canadian financial wiki

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Shakespeare wrote:
I see such bench strength on nearly every topic daily on FWF that I am totally intimidated with the notion of authoring/editing content.
So where are they all? If you check the activity you will see that very few people are actually contributing.

Some hints: Recent changes shows what is being worked on currently.

Long pages shows what's built up to reasonable size.

And there's a special site-specific Google search for FWF, finiki, or both on the Portal test page.

Want an assignment? :wink: How about something on snowbirding in MX on this page or this one?
Thanks for the lead. I don't think it fits in either of those but you have provided some inspiration.
For the fun of it...Keith
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

yielder wrote:
cardhu wrote:Yielder … I may do that …
WADR, stop talking and go do. Put your money where your mouth is and go clean up the mistakes, says he, throwing down the editorial gauntlet. :lol:
Glad you picked up the gauntlet. Thanks for the fixes and welcome aboard.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Thanks for the fixes
Especially since they are on parvus' wording and not mine. :lol: :wink:
welcome aboard
Ditto. Even minor editing and wording changes are a great help.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
cardhu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cardhu »

Thanks.
I thought I'd just "practice" with a few minor edits to get my bearings. There's more coming, when I have time, some of it not so minor.
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

Shakespeare wrote:
Thanks for the fixes
Especially since they are on parvus' wording and not mine. :lol: :wink:
Hey, I'm just populating things. :wink: Sorry for the inattention of late; I've been a little bit busy with other projects. (Facts are a lot harder to do than opinions! But I'm sure we all recognize that.)
welcome aboard
Ditto. Even minor editing and wording changes are a great help.
Double ditto.

As for populating things, more to come.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Just a note to say that I have assumed duties as Managing Editor of finiki on a pro tem basis now that Mike has resigned.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

But parvus is still here, and will try to get Pickles on board. :wink:
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

parvus wrote:But parvus is still here, and will try to get Pickles on board. :wink:
I'm not reluctant,; just totally unfamiliar with finiki. No time to learn it in the short-term but definitely interested in the medium term.
Regards,
Pickles
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

No time to learn it in the short-term but definitely interested in the medium term.
You get a white box like the one here to enter posts. You type into it. If you mess up the formatting someone (maybe me) will fix it up for you.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

Shakespeare wrote:
No time to learn it in the short-term but definitely interested in the medium term.
You get a white box like the one here to enter posts. You type into it. If you mess up the formatting someone (maybe me) will fix it up for you.
SOUNDS simple enough.....
Regards,
Pickles
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

What would you like to see included in finiki?

Post by yielder »

Many of you have said that you don't feel qualified to add to/edit finiki content. Some have expressed concerns about learning wikispeak.

I suspect though that many of you have subjects that you'd like to know more about.

So fire away and we'll see what we can do.

Remember that finiki has a Canadian orientation and is not Wikipedia. Search Wikipedia first before you make a suggestion. If it's covered there, it's highly unlikely we'd cover it in finiki unless it had a Canadian aspect. As an example, Wikipedia covers preferred shares but finiki covers preferred shares in a Canadian context.
Last edited by yielder on 24 May 2009 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
WishingWealth
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by WishingWealth »

Thanks much for asking yielder.

One issue that came up over and over - covered throughout many threads - is ACB.
I believe a comprehensive précis would be welcome.

Bonus #1: Examples with ETFs.
Bonus #2: An Excel spreadsheet. gummy had one but from what I read in a few posts, it would require some fine tuning.
Another poster had offered his on a Google spreadsheet but there were some security issues and he removed it.
Perhaps he'd (I apologize, I forgot the name) be so kind and offer it for inclusion in finiki.

WW
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

How about something on frugal living and money-saving tricks?
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Shakespeare wrote:How about something on frugal living and money-saving tricks?
How to put a Canadian spin on universal topics?????????
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Tax minimization, for one.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

yielder wrote:
How to put a Canadian spin on universal topics?????????
Yielder, I'm not sure I agree totally with you about focusing strictly on topics that have a Canadian spin. I agree that we don't want to duplicate wikipedia but there is a value in having some content on finiki covering basic topics that may be dealt with elsewhere. The one stop shopping concept. Plus, if it appears on finiki, the reader can assume the info is accurate in the Canadian context

That said, I also believe that a Canadian spin would manifest itself if we developed a section on frugal living and money-saving strategies, teaching -- as it were -- Canadians to turn a loonie into a toonie... Otherwise, a simple set of links to US sites would suffice.
Regards,
Pickles
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Shakespeare wrote:Tax minimization, for one.
Now I'm lost more than I was before. :lol:
Pickles wrote:Yielder, I'm not sure I agree totally with you about focusing strictly on topics that have a Canadian spin.
There was some discussion in the early days of finiki that it made no sense to do what Wikipedia had already done. We thought that it made sense to make the content relevant to Canadians since we could do a better job than Wikipedia.

We go so far as to say that finiki is an encyclopedia of financial subjects written from a Canadian perspective.
Plus, if it appears on finiki, the reader can assume the info is accurate in the Canadian context
Nope.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Now I'm lost more than I was before
OK, so there's already a tax section. It needs expanding.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Started

Perhaps others can chip in with frugal living and money-saving tricks????
travesty
Contributor
Contributor

Post by travesty »

I'd like to see a summary of credit cards available to Canadians and the associated rewards, since this is a topic that changes frequently and what card is best depends heavily on how much you spend per year, and so on.

Unlike other information, this may become out of date if it is not maintained, but the information doesn't change that frequently. In particular, although new cards are introduced frequently, the *best* available cards (those on the "efficient frontier", so to speak) change much less frequently.

I'm willing to help with this one, both the construction and the on-going maintenance.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I think there are links on that, so it would just be a matter of linking to them.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

For those who are retired, or nearly retired, and have to live frugally by necessity and not choice, finiki should have some information on low income government benefits - GIS, Alberta Seniors Benefit, etc. And some tips on maximizing these benefits. Possibly expanding on this post.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I am thinking about a section on retirement living. There is a section on expat and returning from the US. I am thinking about permanent snowbirding: 6 months a year in the US or Mexico, exporting a car, health coverage. Perhaps even permanent relocation issues (if I can get my buddy from Mazatlan to contribute). Travelling with animals.

Since these represent lower cost living alternatives after retirement, they can play a big role in financial plannning for some people.
For the fun of it...Keith
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

DenisD wrote:
For those who are retired, or nearly retired, and have to live frugally by necessity and not choice, finiki should have some information on low income government benefits - GIS, Alberta Seniors Benefit, etc. And some tips on maximizing these benefits. Possibly expanding on this post.
Great idea. Edit at will.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

kcowan wrote:I am thinking about permanent snowbirding: 6 months a year in the US or Mexico, exporting a car, health coverage. Perhaps even permanent relocation issues (if I can get my buddy from Mazatlan to contribute).
Transition Financial Advisors has a very good website on snowbirding in the USA here. The menu items at the top of the page provide information on various topics of interest. The same company also has another website on permanent relocation to the USA here. For Finiki, you could link to information on these websites.