Help Wanted: finiki needs contributors

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Help Wanted: finiki needs contributors

Post by yielder »

I'd like to invite Bruce in as the first editor. We're not quite ready yet but we'll need a chat area since we can't use this area. Another hidden forum - Finiki Wiki
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Other suggestions: kcowan, ghariton, adrian2, George$ (who might contribute on the pension section), AltaRed, parvus, wishingwealth
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

yielder wrote:I'd like to invite Bruce in as the first editor. We're not quite ready yet but we'll need a chat area since we can't use this area. Another hidden forum - Finiki Wiki
I think the talk pages in the wiki are meant for chats among editors.

If you think they won't do the job, then I will set up a completely separate phpBB forum for editors.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:
yielder wrote:I'd like to invite Bruce in as the first editor. We're not quite ready yet but we'll need a chat area since we can't use this area. Another hidden forum - Finiki Wiki
I think the talk pages in the wiki are meant for chats among editors.

If you think they won't do the job, then I will set up a completely separate phpBB forum for editors.
I don't think that they'll do the job because they are page specific. Additionally, they aren't secure. It's quite possible that there will be discussion among editors that shouldn't be open to the public. I think a separate editors forum with a single level of security will suffice. I wouldn't get too sexy with forums, ie, make one forum. Let discussion guide us on forum setup.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Shakespeare wrote:I suggest we admit others (Bruce, Georges, parvus) asap.
Agreed.
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Who wants to do the invite? I see no good reason for it being The Management.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Mike can do it.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:Who wants to do the invite? I see no good reason for it being The Management.
Are they set up? If so, what are their temporary passwords?
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

I'll set them up now. Passwords will all be ChangeMe (for the wiki; I'll copy their forum passwords for finiki/forum).
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

wiki ids are live, all in the same form as on the forum. Tell them they should visit all their preferences and adjust appropriately. I'm thinking particularly of "real name", which will probably be fine for Bruce and George, and damned unlikely for parvus (I would guess).
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Invites sent.
Gentlemen (brucecohen, parvus, and ghariton),

We would like you to be the first three editors of The Financial Webring Wiki or finiki for short. You are invited to login using your FWF names. I'll send passwords separately. When you login, click on My preferences to change the password to something of your own choosing.

I think the site is self-explanatory. The forum is great and will continue but it's more than a bit unwieldy for finding things. And a forum with its chattiness often clutters up, if not confuses, subjects.

The timing of the bogleheads offer was the impetus we needed to get rolling.

Rather than go on at length here trying to answer questions that you've not yet asked, I'll direct you to the private editors' forum - http://finiki.org/forum . Smoking is permitted, ie, anything goes.

To become an editor, one has to have made a minimum of 200 posts (we're still chewing on the exact number) at FWF ex-Soapbox.

Once you've kicked the tires a bit and noodled your thoughts in the editors' forum, The Management will post an announcement at FWF.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:I'll set them up now. Passwords will all be ChangeMe (for the wiki; I'll copy their forum passwords for finiki/forum).
Password sent.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

To: yielder
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:26 pm
Subject: Re: finiki

Will check it out tomorrow night
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:28 pm

Done.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi Mike

Looks very interesting. I'll be haqppy to help in any way I can.

George
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

I suggest we let Barry Barnitz into the group so that he can see this forum. It would probably be helpful to pick his brain on wiki organization.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

No problem.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:I suggest we let Barry Barnitz into the group so that he can see this forum. It would probably be helpful to pick his brain on wiki organization.
As long as he's aware that finiki is not bogiki (sounds like the opening to The Name Game Sorry but I just had to beat parvus to the punch. :lol:)
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Anyone can read the Wiki, but writing and editing privileges must be applied for.
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

I've revised that with a real mail address, which forwards to Mike. :)
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Perhaps we could send out the next round of invites? I might suggest altared and kcowan.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Shakespeare wrote:Perhaps we could send out the next round of invites? I might suggest altared and kcowan.
scomac as well.

I also like to invite go outside FWF starting with Larry McDonald. I think we have enough content to demonstrate what we are about and, more importantly, demonstrate the quality. Getting professional financial writers involved would really add to finiki quality. I'll work on a pitch to him.
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

I'm fine with Larry McDonald. Hell, write something that will nab Carrick and Daw while you're at it. ;)

However, I think it's time we announced it to the membership generally and let them go at it. Let's get the sidebar finalized - so I don't break it after the wiki is public - and let 'er rip.

Let's face it. We're not going to get a huge uptake. Bogleheads has 12000 members and perhaps 50 wiki editors. We have 2500 members. If we get 20 signing up and writing, I'll be happy because the weight will be off us to provide content.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Let's face it. We're not going to get a huge uptake.
Yes, I know.

For sentimental reasons, though, I'd like to announce Feb. 18 rather than now. Fourth anniversary and all that.... :wink: And it gives a few more days to prepare.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:I think it's time we announced it to the membership generally and let them go at it. Let's get the sidebar finalized - so I don't break it after the wiki is public - and let 'er rip.
Let's go now. Breaking the sidebar isn't a problem. It'll change when we're live to breaking it'll be an ongoing problem. We can tweak and futz as much as we want but opening it up will make all the tweaking and futzing open to tweaking and futzing.
The Management wrote:
Welcome to finiki - The Do-It-Yourself Financial Webring Wiki. As the forum has grown larger and more complex, it has been increasingly difficult to find information. There has been some consolidation of similar type threads into single threads but that just leads to huge threads. Because of the chatty nature of forums, threads contain huge numbers of off-topic posts which make mining for gold difficult. Hence the launch of finiki. You are all familiar with Wikipedia. finiki uses the same platform and has or potentially has the same functionality. Since most of you are familiar with Wikipedia, we won't go into detail about what finiki is or isn't. Suffice it to say that finiki is Wikipedia on a very small scale focused on Canadian finance. Initially, finiki will be read only. However, anyone can be a finiki editor by request or invitation. Because finiki is much smaller than wikipedia it will not likely be self-policing because there won't be enough editors. Therefore, unlike wikipedia, individuals may lose their editor status. Don't ask what might lead to loss of editor status. We haven't figured that out yet. As with the living breathing, evolving nature of wiki, so is our editorial policy evolving.
Last edited by yielder on 14 Feb 2009 15:45, edited 1 time in total.