Help Wanted: finiki needs contributors

Announcements from the Management and assistance with forum software. New to FWF? Please consider introducing yourself
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

OK, I can live with going now. I suggest we (you) e-mail all Webring members.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Shakespeare wrote:OK, I can live with going now. I suggest we (you) e-mail all Webring members.
All we need to do is edit my proposed TM announcement.
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

It's done. I put it in General Finance because it's more likely to be seen there. Once it's off the front page, I'll move it to Admin.

Barry, if you want to publish a note at Bogleheads now, either in private or public, feel free.
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

I think we want some consistent application criteria for editors. Earlier I suggested a bright line based on number of posts outside Soap Box & Admin. We have to be a little more flexible than that, e.g. I see no point in letting blonde edit.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Why do we have to publish any criteria on allowing editors at this point?
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

That announcement needs a far better title than just "finiki" (so what says the reader, passing on). How about "finiki: The Financial Webring Wiki"?
Jo Anne
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jo Anne »

Shakespeare wrote:That announcement needs a far better title than just "finiki" (so what says the reader, passing on). How about "finiki: The Financial Webring Wiki"?
I agree 100%.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Should the finiki forum be unhidden but read only if you're an editor?
blbarnitz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by blbarnitz »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:It's done. I put it in General Finance because it's more likely to be seen there. Once it's off the front page, I'll move it to Admin.

Barry, if you want to publish a note at Bogleheads now, either in private or public, feel free.
Congratulations! I will post an announcement on the bogleshead forum and with our small wiki staff. I would greatly appreciate any of you who can post on the bogleheads to post a comment or two on my announcement post.

Here is my post:

ANNOUNCEMENT: Webring Launches finiki.

[edit: added link to post]

thanks,
Barry
Last edited by blbarnitz on 14 Feb 2009 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

The Management wrote:It's done. I put it in General Finance because it's more likely to be seen there. Once it's off the front page, I'll move it to Admin.
I've locked it as an announcement so that it says on the front page on the basis that nobody reads Admin. Eventually, we'll move it but I think not yet.
The Management wrote:I think we want some consistent application criteria for editors. Earlier I suggested a bright line based on number of posts outside Soap Box & Admin. We have to be a little more flexible than that, e.g. I see no point in letting blonde edit.
Nope. It's open to anyone, including blonde, by request. However, one reference to guiding principles, harpoonists, or anyone of the usual claptrap and the editor's card gets pulled.
Shakespeare wrote:Should the finiki forum be unhidden but read only if you're an editor?
I'm betwixt and between on this one. I think unhidden but opening it now might lead to all kinds of peripheral and detracting kibbitzing. Why don't we see what kind of commentary the announcement generates? If none :( , then pull back the read only curtain. If constructive :D, then pull back the read only curtain.
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

First request is from travesty. Here we go.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

adrian as well. He's set up but needs viewing rights here.
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Did you set adrian up? I appreciate your trying to help, but if you're going to do that, you also have to tell them what the password is. ;)
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:Did you set adrian up? I appreciate your trying to help, but if you're going to do that, you also have to tell them what the password is. ;)
When he was set up, he was sent his password with a request to change it as soon as he logs in.
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

Set up Norm. He's volunteered to do the efficient market entry. :lol:
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

I've recruited canucknyc from bogleheads.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
canucknyc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by canucknyc »

Hello all - I'm honored to be invited to help out as an editor for the wiki!
"By enabling me to say 'I don't know, and I don't care,' my index fund has liberated me from the feeling that I need to forecast what the market is about to do."
-Jason Zweig
yielder
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by yielder »

yielder wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:Should the finiki forum be unhidden but read only if you're an editor?
I'm betwixt and between on this one. I think unhidden but opening it now might lead to all kinds of peripheral and detracting kibbitzing. Why don't we see what kind of commentary the announcement generates? If none :( , then pull back the read only curtain. If constructive :D, then pull back the read only curtain.
Let's open it up to for all to read.
queerasmoi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by queerasmoi »

Hello editors - I was just approved this morning to join in. I'm a bit of a grammar nut, so when I have some free time I might scour through some articles and help out in terms of coherence. I will try and be judicious about adding actual financial content since I'm a relative newbie. Looking forward to seeing this develop!
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

I've hidden this forum from all but editors.

I had hopes that an open discussion would entice people to join in but we seem to have run out of interested parties. (OTOH, having been able to see it for a while and now being unable may entice a few. ;))
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

The rush has been underwhelming. :?
blbarnitz
Contributor
Contributor

The same

Post by blbarnitz »

Shakespeare wrote:The rush has been underwhelming. :?
Your experience in attracting new editors is closely paralleling our early experience at the bogleheads, and hopefully you won't have the announcement next week of a webring book project enlisting 50 of your best prolific forum writers as well as 5 editors, none of whom will come near the wiki for 12 months if at all-- this was our experience . On the other hand, patience can be rewarded.

It may help if you and your staff make an effort to include a wiki link in your forum posts whenever opportunity knocks. Of our outreach efforts to date-- solicitations, weekly wiki activity reports, and the issuance of wiki buttons,--it is the buttons that seem have had the greatest effect in garnering new editors.

regards,
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I suspect that many people are afraid to tackle a new article because they think there are people here that know more about it. But the sections do not spring fully formed from the brow of Zeus.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

Shakespeare wrote:I suspect that many people are afraid to tackle a new article because they think there are people here that know more about it. But the sections do not spring fully formed from the brow of Zeus.
Your suspicion is probably correct; it's a lot less daunting to add a sentence or two to an existing article than to write the first draft.

Eventually, I would like to contribute but I have to learn the ins and outs of wiki editing first. I am finishing up a major work project and breaking in a new computer, so it will be a few days before I can dabble.

Re: above concerns about apparent lack of interest from forum members: A wiki doesn't just magically appear; it has to be built. Like a snowball rolling downhill, it grows faster the bigger it gets. Once our wiki starts to take shape, interest and participation will pick up.
Regards,
Pickles
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

A related issue. Last night after someone mentioned RedFlagDeal's savings account interest rate table, I added it to the Deposit Rates page. I also added RFD's article that compares the T&Cs of several high interest savings accounts.

So far so good. But the former table obsoletes the existing Top 12 Highest Savings Account Rates section on the same page. I don't feel comfortable about deleting that because it might get someone's nose out of joint. I know it shouldn't and even if I delete it they could always restore it, etc. but it's a bit of leap of faith to just go and delete someone else's contributing without the risk of offending them. (I'll probably get over it once someone does something similar to me ;))
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.