iShares.com listed ETFs in US - questions and issues

Asset allocation, risk, diversification and rebalancing. Pros/cons of hiring a financial advisor.

iShares.com listed ETFs in US - questions and issues

Postby bindexit » 03 Jan 2010 23:43

I've held EFA for a few years. I like to double check and track my distributions via globeinvestor.com. Today, I noted that there was no December distribution for EFA in my broker account nor found on globeinvestor.com?

I went to check the iShares.com website to confirm and encountered the following:

-I am unable to access iShares.com from my Canadian home. I keep being re-routed to the Canadian site .... ca.http://ca.ishares.com/splash.do ?? Why can I not access iShares.com US site ?
-According to seekingalpha.com, there was an EFA distribution on December 22, 2009 with
Dividend Amount: $0.495735 ???? Does anyone have an explanation why it shows here but not on my broker or globeinvestor account?
bindexit
Silver Ring
Silver Ring

Re: iShares.com listed ETFs in US - questions and issues

Postby Shakespeare » 04 Jan 2010 00:04

Log on to iShares and click the Canadian flag at the top right.
“Never appeal to a man's better nature. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.” -- R.A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love.
Shakespeare
Diamond Ring
Diamond Ring

Postby bindexit » 04 Jan 2010 00:26

Thanks Shakespeare for such a quick and helpful response!

The iShares.com site confirms for EFA that a distribution of 0.49574$/unit is payable December 31, 2009. For some stocks/ETFs, my broker has stated that it may take up to 10 business days to show up in my account. I'll wait.

I do not understand why globeinvestor did not track this distribution while they have in the past for my units (e.g. in June 2009)?

By the way, I waited for this distribution and then plan on switching EFA for either VEU and VT.
bindexit
Silver Ring
Silver Ring

Postby DenisD » 04 Jan 2010 01:16

bindexit wrote:I do not understand why globeinvestor did not track this distribution while they have in the past for my units (e.g. in June 2009)?

May take a few days for GlobeInvestor too.
DenisD
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Postby queerasmoi » 04 Jan 2010 02:29

bindexit wrote:By the way, I waited for this distribution and then plan on switching EFA for either VEU and VT.

If you owned EFA through its ex-dividend date then you will receive the dividend no matter what, even if you sell it between the ex-date and the pay date.
queerasmoi
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Postby Taggart » 04 Jan 2010 03:22

bindexit wrote:
By the way, I waited for this distribution and then plan on switching EFA for either VEU and VT.

If you're buyiing all Vanguard, keep in mind that the MER's are cheaper for some combination of VTI (U.S. Total Stock Market ETF), VEA (Europe Pacific ETF) and VWO (Emerging Mkts ETF).
Taggart
Gold Ring
Gold Ring

Return to Financial Planning and Building Portfolios